Vista Windows Backup

Chris

Vista Windows Backup
Can some help me with the Windows Backup program in Vista?

I cannot seem to figure out how to manually choose which files and
directories to choose for the backup. It asks for file types rather than
giving me the option to choose? Is there a way to do this using the Windows
Vista backup program.

Thanks for your help
Brink

Re: Vista Windows Backup

Hi Chris,

Sorry, but Vista only has the option to select file types to backup,
and not which specific files.

You will need to use a 3rd party backup program like Acronis True Image
instead for that option. You can download a 15 day trial version here to
see if you like it or not.

'Complete hard disk recovery solution, backup, drive copy, clone and
image computer software'
(http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Paul Montgomery

Re: Vista Windows Backup
On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 22:26:37 -0500, Brink <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Hi Chris,
>
>Sorry, but Vista only has the option to select file types to backup,
>and not which specific files.
>
>You will need to use a 3rd party backup program like Acronis True Image
>instead for that option. You can download a 15 day trial version here to
>see if you like it or not.
>
>'Complete hard disk recovery solution, backup, drive copy, clone and
>image computer software'
>(http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/)

But buy it from Newegg.com and save $20 and get free shipping
Luan Pham

wrote:

>'Complete hard disk recovery solution, backup, drive copy, clone and
>image computer software'
>(http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/)

Be careful this version take 10 to 11 hours to recover from systems
crash, while Norton Ghost take about 3 hours.

Re: Vista Windows Backup
I have a shortcut to a backup.bat file on my deaktop that lists:
xcopy c:\dir1\file1 \\computer2\backupdir\*.*
etc.
It works fine for me. Go to thecommand prompt and tyoe help xcopy.

news255EAAF-7C22-44A3-85A3-43D8D5E279A1@microsoft.com...
> Can some help me with the Windows Backup program in Vista?
>
> I cannot seem to figure out how to manually choose which files and
> directories to choose for the backup. It asks for file types rather than
> giving me the option to choose? Is there a way to do this using the
> Windows
> Vista backup program.
>
> Thanks for your help

RonW

Re: Vista Windows Backup

Luan Pham;796193 Wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 22:26:37 -0500, Brink <guest@xxxxxx-email.com>
> wrote:
> > > >
> > >'Complete hard disk recovery solution, backup, drive copy, clone and
> > >image computer software'
> > >('Complete hard disk recovery solution, backup, drive copy, clone and

> > image computer software'
> > (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/)) > >

> Be careful this version take 10 to 11 hours to recover from systems
> crash, while Norton Ghost take about 3 hours.

i use that version of acronis and it didnt take me 10 hours to recover
from the last crash i had. it literally took me 15-20min, albeit i only
have about 30GB worth of data on my drive.

--
RonW
DDW

Re: Vista Windows Backup
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 09:33:03 -0500, RonW <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>> Be careful this version take 10 to 11 hours to recover from systems
>> crash, while Norton Ghost take about 3 hours.

>i use that version of acronis and it didnt take me 10 hours to recover
>from the last crash i had. it literally took me 15-20min, albeit i only
>have about 30GB worth of data on my drive.

Your numbers are typical from my experience. I have the majority of
my data files on another drive, but I still have about 40gigs on my
system drive and restoration from an Acronis image takes 30-45 minutes
if I remember correctly.

Dave T.

Re: Vista Windows Backup
DDW wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 09:33:03 -0500, RonW <guest@unknown-email.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Be careful this version take 10 to 11 hours to recover from systems
>>> crash, while Norton Ghost take about 3 hours.

>> i use that version of acronis and it didnt take me 10 hours to recover
>>from the last crash i had. it literally took me 15-20min, albeit i only
>> have about 30GB worth of data on my drive.

> Your numbers are typical from my experience. I have the majority of
> my data files on another drive, but I still have about 40gigs on my
> system drive and restoration from an Acronis image takes 30-45 minutes
> if I remember correctly.

The OP seems to be a novice, judging from his inability to figure out
windows backup (NOT meant to be demeaning). I would not recommend
Acronis. Use something much more basic that will get the job done, such
as Retrospect.

--
Dave T.

I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.
Spike9458

Re: Vista Windows Backup
On Aug 10, 4:06*pm, "Dave T." <da...@MyPlace.net> wrote:
> DDW wrote:

> >> i use that version of acronis and it didnt take me 10 hours to recover
> >>from the last crash i had. it literally took me 15-20min, albeit i only
> >> have about 30GB worth of data on my drive.

> > Your numbers are typical from my experience. *I have the majority of
> > my data files on another drive, but I still have about 40gigs on my
> > system drive and restoration from an Acronis image takes 30-45 minutes
> > if I remember correctly.

> The OP seems to be a novice, judging from his inability to figure out
> windows backup (NOT meant to be demeaning). I would not recommend
> Acronis. Use something much more basic that will get the job done, such
> as Retrospect.
>
> --
> Dave T.
>
> I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

If you just want to backup your data, you should also take a look at
Microsoft's Synctoy 1.4, here:

Synctoy 2.0 is out, but only in a beta release. I use it to copy all
my new and updated docs/files to a USB hdd, and like it. It does give
you control over what/which files/folders you sync, and you can either
sync back and forth from one drive to another, or just in one
direction.

--Jim
DDW

Re: Vista Windows Backup
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 07:02:32 -0700 (PDT), Spike9458
<BMCSretired@gmail.com> wrote:

>Synctoy 2.0 is out, but only in a beta release.

Since October of last year. Quite a "beta" period.