How do I remove "shortcut" from shortcuts and only have an arrow?

Steve Turner

How do I remove "shortcut" from shortcuts and only have an arrow?
In XP you can relatively easily remove the "shortcut" text to a shortcut.
The arrow is enough for me. Has Microsoft thought to include that feature in
the Vista operating system? If not, how do I do it? I got a copy of TweakVI
but I'm a bit anxious to start mucking about with that. There are a lot of
tweaks active by default, not the least of which is their insistence on
disabling UAC, which I think is a bit counterproductive to the security of
Vista.

Basil

Re: How do I remove "shortcut" from shortcuts and only have an arrow?
"Steve Turner" <stevezygote@hotmail.com> wrote in

> In XP you can relatively easily remove the "shortcut" text to a
> shortcut. The arrow is enough for me. Has Microsoft thought to include
> that feature in the Vista operating system? If not, how do I do it? I
> got a copy of TweakVI but I'm a bit anxious to start mucking about
> with that. There are a lot of tweaks active by default, not the least
> of which is their insistence on disabling UAC, which I think is a bit
> counterproductive to the security of Vista.

Just rename the file, right click it and select rename.
Gordon

"Steve Turner" <stevezygote@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In XP you can relatively easily remove the "shortcut" text to a shortcut.
> The arrow is enough for me. Has Microsoft thought to include that feature
> in the Vista operating system? If not, how do I do it? I got a copy of
> TweakVI but I'm a bit anxious to start mucking about with that. There are
> a lot of tweaks active by default, not the least of which is their
> insistence on disabling UAC, which I think is a bit counterproductive to
> the security of Vista.

I don't quite know what you mean by "remove the "shortcut" text". Have you
tried right-clicking on the shortcut and choosing "Rename"?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: How do I remove "shortcut" from shortcuts and only have an arrow?
As others said, you can rename the shortcut and remove the text " shortcut"
from the file name. Also, you can prevent the "Shortcut" Suffix from being
added to new shortcuts using a registry edit. See:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

--
Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows« Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

"Steve Turner" <stevezygote@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In XP you can relatively easily remove the "shortcut" text to a shortcut.
> The arrow is enough for me. Has Microsoft thought to include that feature
> in the Vista operating system? If not, how do I do it? I got a copy of
> TweakVI but I'm a bit anxious to start mucking about with that. There are
> a lot of tweaks active by default, not the least of which is their
> insistence on disabling UAC, which I think is a bit counterproductive to
> the security of Vista.

Dave

Re: How do I remove "shortcut" from shortcuts and only have an arrow?
I just edit the text.

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Steve Turner" <stevezygote@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In XP you can relatively easily remove the "shortcut" text to a shortcut.
> The arrow is enough for me. Has Microsoft thought to include that feature
> in the Vista operating system? If not, how do I do it? I got a copy of
> TweakVI but I'm a bit anxious to start mucking about with that. There are
> a lot of tweaks active by default, not the least of which is their
> insistence on disabling UAC, which I think is a bit counterproductive to
> the security of Vista.

Brink

Re: How do I remove "shortcut" from shortcuts and only have an arrow?

Hi Steve,

This tutorial will help show you how to remove the "Shortcut" name from
all new shortcuts created.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/73...ut-prefix.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Steve Turner

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@unknownhost> wrote in message
> As others said, you can rename the shortcut and remove the text "
> shortcut" from the file name. Also, you can prevent the "Shortcut" Suffix
> from being added to new shortcuts using a registry edit. See:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

Thank you, Ramesh. VERY helpful!

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: How do I remove "shortcut" from shortcuts and only have an arrow?
You're welcome Steve.