Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

System Volume Information

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2008
t-4-2
 

Posts: n/a
System Volume Information

Hello everyone,
Found it in my D drive ....... System Volume Information.
I think I know what it is. However, I'd like to hear it from people who
really know.
Also, should it be on D drive, my recovery partition ?
Thank you.


--
t-4-2
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Volume Information
t-4-2 wrote:

>
> Hello everyone,
> Found it in my D drive ....... System Volume Information.
> I think I know what it is. However, I'd like to hear it from people who
> really know.
> Also, should it be on D drive, my recovery partition ?
> Thank you.
>
>

The System Volume Information is for your System Restore. No, you should not
be monitoring your D: drive. Turn it off on that drive.

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/disabledrivev.html

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2008
Dave T.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Volume Information
Malke wrote:
> t-4-2 wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>> Found it in my D drive ....... System Volume Information.
>> I think I know what it is. However, I'd like to hear it from people who
>> really know.
>> Also, should it be on D drive, my recovery partition ?
>> Thank you.
>>
>>

> The System Volume Information is for your System Restore. No, you should not
> be monitoring your D: drive. Turn it off on that drive.
>
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/disabledrivev.html
>
> Malke


Malke, thanks for this info. Please fill me in on something. On my
machine system volume information folders show up all over the place,
even on external drives that contain only user data and are not included
in restore points. Can you educate me about this?

--
Dave T.

I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2008
t-4-2
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Volume Information

Malke;794250 Wrote:
> t-4-2 wrote:
> > > >
> > >
> > > Hello everyone,
> > > Found it in my D drive ....... System Volume Information.
> > > I think I know what it is. However, I'd like to hear it from people

> > who
> > > really know.
> > > Also, should it be on D drive, my recovery partition ?
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > > >

> The System Volume Information is for your System Restore. No, you
> should not
> be monitoring your D: drive. Turn it off on that drive.
>
> 'How to disable a monitored drive in Vista:'
> (http://bertk.mvps.org/html/disabledrivev.html)
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ)

Hello Malke,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, you should not
be monitoring your D: drive. Turn it off on that drive.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the crazy part. I never turned it on.
Anyway, now that it is there, can I just delete it ?
Thank you.


--
t-4-2
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Volume Information
Dave T. wrote:

> Malke, thanks for this info. Please fill me in on something. On my
> machine system volume information folders show up all over the place,
> even on external drives that contain only user data and are not included
> in restore points. Can you educate me about this?
>


The best source of information about System Restore is MVP Bert Kinney's
site. Start here:

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html

Use the drop-down menu on the webpage to get to other articles about System
Restore.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Volume Information
t-4-2 wrote:

> Hello Malke,
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> No, you should not
> be monitoring your D: drive. Turn it off on that drive.
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Here is the crazy part. I never turned it on.
> Anyway, now that it is there, can I just delete it ?
> Thank you.


As I already said, turn off System Restore monitoring on that drive. Reboot
and the file will be gone.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2008
Dave T.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Volume Information
Malke wrote:

> The best source of information about System Restore is MVP Bert Kinney's
> site. Start here:
>
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html
>
> Use the drop-down menu on the webpage to get to other articles about System
> Restore.
>
> Malke


Malke,

Thank you!

--
Dave T.

I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2008
t-4-2
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Volume Information

Malke;794314 Wrote:
> t-4-2 wrote:
> > > >
> > > Hello Malke,
> > >

> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > No, you should not
> > > be monitoring your D: drive. Turn it off on that drive.
> > >

> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > Here is the crazy part. I never turned it on.
> > > Anyway, now that it is there, can I just delete it ?
> > > Thank you. > >

>
> As I already said, turn off System Restore monitoring on that drive.
> Reboot
> and the file will be gone.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ)

Hello Malke,
Monitoring turned off, system rebooted. System Volume Information is
still in the D: drive.


--
t-4-2
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Volume Information
t-4-2 wrote:

> Hello Malke,
> Monitoring turned off, system rebooted. System Volume Information is
> still in the D: drive.
>
>


You should be able to delete it then. If not, see if Bert Kinney's pages
have anything to say about it.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2008
t-4-2
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Volume Information

Malke;794500 Wrote:
> t-4-2 wrote:
> > > >
> > > Hello Malke,
> > > Monitoring turned off, system rebooted. System Volume Information is
> > > still in the D: drive.
> > >
> > > > >

>
> You should be able to delete it then. If not, see if Bert Kinney's
> pages
> have anything to say about it.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ)

Thank you.


--
t-4-2
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
43 GB System File in System Volume Information on 160 GB partition Brent microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 8 12-02-2011 15:38
system volume information? What is it? T5 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 03-09-2008 22:21
System Volume Information Bogdan microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 2 01-11-2008 06:58
System Volume Information jmjprince microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 3 01-01-2008 17:20
Need to fix System Volume Information Searinox microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 2 07-04-2007 09:08




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:49.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120