SP1 and Aministrator Privilage

Drew Leyda

SP1 and Aministrator Privilage
Good Morning:

Since I installed SP1 I have had some problems with Administrator
privileges. I am the only user of this Home Premium OS and I am signed on as
Administrator ( I checked Control Panel/User).
Sometimes when I try to update some of my non- MS programs I get a message
that since I am not the Administrator I can not run program.

Drew

Gordon

Re: SP1 and Aministrator Privilage
"Drew Leyda" <FDLnews@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
newsADB6187-74A8-4E84-A887-50794CE8922C@microsoft.com...
> Good Morning:
>
> Since I installed SP1 I have had some problems with Administrator
> privileges. I am the only user of this Home Premium OS and I am signed on
> as Administrator ( I checked Control Panel/User).
> Sometimes when I try to update some of my non- MS programs I get a message
> that since I am not the Administrator I can not run program.
>
> Drew

Firstly you should NOT run on a day to day basis as an administrator. It's a
security risk. Create another Administrator account for system functions,
and convert your account to a Standard User.

Drew Leyda

Re: SP1 and Aministrator Privilage
>> Since I installed SP1 I have had some problems with Administrator
>> privileges. I am the only user of this Home Premium OS and I am signed on
>> as Administrator ( I checked Control Panel/User).
>> Sometimes when I try to update some of my non- MS programs I get a message
>> that since I am not the Administrator I can not run program.
>>
>> Drew

> Firstly you should NOT run on a day to day basis as an administrator. It's a
> security risk. Create another Administrator account for system functions,
> and convert your account to a Standard User.

************************************************** ***************************
OK I did that.
How do I incorporate my old user settings in to my new user account ?
Paul Montgomery

Re: SP1 and Aministrator Privilage
On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 17:34:56 +0100, "Gordon"
<gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>Firstly you should NOT run on a day to day basis as an administrator. It's a
>security risk. Create another Administrator account for system functions,
>and convert your account to a Standard User.

There I go breaking another seccurity rule!!

I have UAC off. I have Windows firewall off (I'm using my router's
firewall). I have auto-updates turned off. I have IE's auto-phishing
off.

And now you tell me that I shouldn't be maiking daily use of my
account that has Admin rights.

I'm starting to feel guilt pangs <g>.
Rick Rogers

Re: SP1 and Aministrator Privilage
Hi,

Being an admin account does not give unfettered access to the system as it
did with XP and earlier versions of Windows. In Vista, even an admin must
self-elevate to have the level of privilege necessary to alter or manipulate
system folders. Among other things, this is to prevent malware from usurping
a user's privilege and installing itself without the user's knowledge.

Right click the file or icon you are using to update the programs and use
'run as administrator'.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/