Memory Use

Bill

Memory Use
I have a Gigabyte KNS - Socket 939 m/b with 2x1GB of dual setup RAM
installed. OS in Vista Ultimate.

There are a further two slots available on the m/b and I have 2x512MB
matching RAM available.

Is there any advantage to installing these in a dual channel system to
increase overall RAM or does the size mismatch preclude any advantage?

Regards

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Memory Use
"Bill" <w.hercus@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a Gigabyte KNS - Socket 939 m/b with 2x1GB of dual setup RAM
>installed. OS in Vista Ultimate.
>
> There are a further two slots available on the m/b and I have 2x512MB
> matching RAM available.
>
> Is there any advantage to installing these in a dual channel system to
> increase overall RAM or does the size mismatch preclude any advantage?
>
> Regards

Install them and find out.. the advantages of more memory outweigh the speed
advantage of dual channel..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Bill

Re: Memory Use
'Suppose it was a no brainer really.

Should have done this ages ago. Noticeable improvement with heavy graphics.

Much thanks!!

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote in message
> "Bill" <w.hercus@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I have a Gigabyte KNS - Socket 939 m/b with 2x1GB of dual setup RAM
>>installed. OS in Vista Ultimate.
>>
>> There are a further two slots available on the m/b and I have 2x512MB
>> matching RAM available.
>>
>> Is there any advantage to installing these in a dual channel system to
>> increase overall RAM or does the size mismatch preclude any advantage?
>>
>> Regards

> Install them and find out.. the advantages of more memory outweigh the
> speed advantage of dual channel..
>

> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> How to construct a good post..
> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
> Mike's Window - My Blog..

Victek

Re: Memory Use
> 'Suppose it was a no brainer really.
>
> Should have done this ages ago. Noticeable improvement with heavy
> graphics.
>
> Much thanks!!

Since you have two of each size shouldn't the memory still be in dual
channel mode? I have 2x gig modules and 2x 512 modules and my memory is in
128 bit mode.

Tulsaboyw is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Increasing memory has always been a good idea for decades now on any pc. I always recommend to clients for them to max out the ram when they can.
Bill

Re: Memory Use
Maybe. I have heard that mixing 512MB modules with 1GB will slow things
down becuause the size of the address blocks of data is reduced.

More interestingly, perhaps, is that my CPU meter (gadgets) shows a lot of
dual channel activity (AMD 4200 dual chip) when the computer is doing
'nothing' and there is no disk activity.

Not only that, since adding the 2x512MB the Windows Rating has dropped from
4.1 to 4.0.

What on earth is going on?

"Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> 'Suppose it was a no brainer really.
>>
>> Should have done this ages ago. Noticeable improvement with heavy
>> graphics.
>>
>> Much thanks!!
>>

> Since you have two of each size shouldn't the memory still be in dual
> channel mode? I have 2x gig modules and 2x 512 modules and my memory is
> in 128 bit mode.

skunksmash

Re: Memory Use

3gb (2x1gb 2x512mb) of ram can still run ''dual channel'' as long as
they are placed in the correct banks (usually defined by color)

but even if the sticks are mismatched ....3gb in ''single channel'' is
better than 2gb in ''dual channel'' for vista..

don't worry about the index score.... it should certainly be more
responsive than 2gb...?

--
skunksmash

E2180 @ 3.2ghz
arctic cooler pro 775
4GB gskill HZ @ 1050mhz
Asus P5K premium
160GB seagate 7200
coloursit 600w psu
PNY 8800GT 512mb
Victek

Re: Memory Use
That's interesting - I hadn't heard about the issue of smaller address
blocks before. Regarding the Vista performance rating that's a small
difference - perhaps within the test's margin of error. Have you tried
running it multiple times to see if results vary? In any case I would
consider the improvement in performance you're seeing when working with
actual applications the best test.

If you have some money to throw at it it would be interesting to see if
replacing the 2x 512 with 2x 1gb made any difference to performance or the
dual channel activity you're seeing <g>.

> Maybe. I have heard that mixing 512MB modules with 1GB will slow things
> down becuause the size of the address blocks of data is reduced.
>
> More interestingly, perhaps, is that my CPU meter (gadgets) shows a lot of
> dual channel activity (AMD 4200 dual chip) when the computer is doing
> 'nothing' and there is no disk activity.
>
> Not only that, since adding the 2x512MB the Windows Rating has dropped
> from 4.1 to 4.0.
>
> What on earth is going on?
>
> "Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> 'Suppose it was a no brainer really.
>>>
>>> Should have done this ages ago. Noticeable improvement with heavy
>>> graphics.
>>>
>>> Much thanks!!
>>>

>> Since you have two of each size shouldn't the memory still be in dual
>> channel mode? I have 2x gig modules and 2x 512 modules and my memory is
>> in 128 bit mode.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Memory Use
"Bill" <w.hercus@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Maybe. I have heard that mixing 512MB modules with 1GB will slow things
> down becuause the size of the address blocks of data is reduced.
>
> More interestingly, perhaps, is that my CPU meter (gadgets) shows a lot of
> dual channel activity (AMD 4200 dual chip) when the computer is doing
> 'nothing' and there is no disk activity.
>
> Not only that, since adding the 2x512MB the Windows Rating has dropped
> from 4.1 to 4.0.
>
> What on earth is going on?
>
> "Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> 'Suppose it was a no brainer really.
>>>
>>> Should have done this ages ago. Noticeable improvement with heavy
>>> graphics.
>>>
>>> Much thanks!!
>>>

>> Since you have two of each size shouldn't the memory still be in dual
>> channel mode? I have 2x gig modules and 2x 512 modules and my memory is
>> in 128 bit mode.

Bill

That's terrible. Imagine losing 0.1. You had better take out the two 512 RAM
sticks right now.

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Bill

Re: Memory Use
All right Mike - I'm not loosing sleep over 0.1 - just thought it
interesting!

Still curious why my CPU multimeter shows constant high levels of activity
(40-60%) in both cores when the computer is 'at rest'?

Regards

Bill