Installing software for HP Scanjet 6300c on Vista Home Premium

Steve Turner

Installing software for HP Scanjet 6300c on Vista Home Premium
I am trying to install the drivers and software for my HP Scanjet 6300c on
Vista Home Premium SP1. I can't get the scanner to initialize. This is
admittedly a few years old but it's in perfect running order. And it cost a
fortune when I bought it. Has anyone any ideas as to work around? Is there a
compatibility setting I have to change perhaps? Thanks.

Paul Montgomery

Re: Installing software for HP Scanjet 6300c on Vista Home Premium
On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 06:26:45 -0700, "Steve Turner" <stevezygote@telus.net>
wrote:

>I am trying to install the drivers and software for my HP Scanjet 6300c on
>Vista Home Premium SP1. I can't get the scanner to initialize. This is
>admittedly a few years old but it's in perfect running order.

It's more than a "few years old". And if you're running Vista, it's not in
"perfect running order" either. You need Vista drivers, and they aren't
coming.

> And it cost a fortune when I bought it.

There's a Craig's List item selling one for $15. Today's scanners are a
whole lot better than that one, and cost a lot less than it did. Start
saving your spare change.

> Has anyone any ideas as to work around? Is there a
>compatibility setting I have to change perhaps? Thanks.

John Barnett MVP

Re: Installing software for HP Scanjet 6300c on Vista Home Premium
Have you visited the HP website to see if they have an updated driver?
Alternatively contact HP Tech Support (via email as this isn't a life or
death problem) and ask their advice; there may be an alternative driver
which they can suggest that may be able to solve the problem.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Paul Montgomery" <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 06:26:45 -0700, "Steve Turner" <stevezygote@telus.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to install the drivers and software for my HP Scanjet 6300c on
>>Vista Home Premium SP1. I can't get the scanner to initialize. This is
>>admittedly a few years old but it's in perfect running order.

> It's more than a "few years old". And if you're running Vista, it's not
> in
> "perfect running order" either. You need Vista drivers, and they aren't
> coming.
>
>> And it cost a fortune when I bought it.

> There's a Craig's List item selling one for $15. Today's scanners are a
> whole lot better than that one, and cost a lot less than it did. Start
> saving your spare change.
>
>> Has anyone any ideas as to work around? Is there a
>>compatibility setting I have to change perhaps? Thanks.

Thanks for the advice. No longer worth it to me to upgrade. I guess I'm
confined to running it only on my XP machine. I'm not a throw away kinda
guy. This scanner works fine. I HATE just chucking something that works.
Reduce, reuse, recycle!

Steve Turner

"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Have you visited the HP website to see if they have an updated driver?
> Alternatively contact HP Tech Support (via email as this isn't a life or
> death problem) and ask their advice; there may be an alternative driver
> which they can suggest that may be able to solve the problem.

Yes, John. They have the old driver on line for download but they state that
they no longer support the item for Vista. Hurrumph!

John Barnett MVP

Re: Installing software for HP Scanjet 6300c on Vista Home Premium
I have an HP PSC 1215 printer which, although HP did make a Vista compatible
driver, actually doesn't print correctly when connect to Vista. What
actually happens is that, when printing, if you image the word having an
imaginary horizontal line in the middle of the word, the top half of which
is slightly offset to the left, you will see my problem. This happens in
most instances. But it doesn't happen with Windows XP. Yes HP have tried to
sort it out, but they never found a solution.

Now because I knew the printer worked fine on XP and I also had a full copy
of XP available, my workaround was to install virtual machine software
(Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 is free) install XP to the VM software and then
install the printer. That solved my problem. Okay I will buy a another
printer when I get round to it, but this one is only 2 years old. Don't want
to be too hasty, anyway just in case, after I buy my new printer, HP decide
not to create drivers for Windows 7 when that is released.

> "John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Have you visited the HP website to see if they have an updated driver?
>> Alternatively contact HP Tech Support (via email as this isn't a life or
>> death problem) and ask their advice; there may be an alternative driver
>> which they can suggest that may be able to solve the problem.

> Yes, John. They have the old driver on line for download but they state
> that they no longer support the item for Vista. Hurrumph!

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Installing software for HP Scanjet 6300c on Vista Home Premium
On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 08:16:32 -0700, "Steve Turner"
<stevezygote@telus.net> wrote:

> Yes, John. They have the old driver on line for download but they state that
> they no longer support the item for Vista. Hurrumph!

Just to try to clarify the situation, this has nothing to do with
Vista in particular. This can be a problem whenever you have an older
peripheral device and you change from any operating system to a newer
one. The responsibility to write the necessary drivers is that of the
hardware manufacturer, not Microsoft. Each manufacturer makes it own
decisions about what new drivers it wants to incur the cost of
writing. In many cases, manufacturers will unfortunately decide that
it doesn't make economic sense to write a new driver for an older
piece of hardware.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
bhk

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 08:16:32 -0700, "Steve Turner"
> <stevezygote@telus.net> wrote:
>
>> Yes, John. They have the old driver on line for download but they state
>> that
>> they no longer support the item for Vista. Hurrumph!

> Just to try to clarify the situation, this has nothing to do with
> Vista in particular. This can be a problem whenever you have an older
> peripheral device and you change from any operating system to a newer
> one. The responsibility to write the necessary drivers is that of the
> hardware manufacturer, not Microsoft. Each manufacturer makes it own
> decisions about what new drivers it wants to incur the cost of
> writing. In many cases, manufacturers will unfortunately decide that
> it doesn't make economic sense to write a new driver for an older
> piece of hardware.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

What you say is very true, however, I do have a HP Deskjet 510 (first bought
in 1992) working quite happily on Vista home premium using generic MS
drivers!

Kenneth

Ken Blake, MVP

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 22:55:51 +0100, "bhk" <unvalid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 08:16:32 -0700, "Steve Turner"
> > <stevezygote@telus.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, John. They have the old driver on line for download but they state
> >> that
> >> they no longer support the item for Vista. Hurrumph!

> > Just to try to clarify the situation, this has nothing to do with
> > Vista in particular. This can be a problem whenever you have an older
> > peripheral device and you change from any operating system to a newer
> > one. The responsibility to write the necessary drivers is that of the
> > hardware manufacturer, not Microsoft. Each manufacturer makes it own
> > decisions about what new drivers it wants to incur the cost of
> > writing. In many cases, manufacturers will unfortunately decide that
> > it doesn't make economic sense to write a new driver for an older
> > piece of hardware.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> What you say is very true, however, I do have a HP Deskjet 510 (first bought
> in 1992) working quite happily on Vista home premium using generic MS
> drivers!

Good, glad to hear it. But consider yourself lucky.

>I have an HP PSC 1215 printer which, although HP did make a Vista
>compatible driver, actually doesn't print correctly when connect to Vista.
>What actually happens is that, when printing, if you image the word having
>an imaginary horizontal line in the middle of the word, the top half of
>which is slightly offset to the left, you will see my problem. This happens
>in most instances. But it doesn't happen with Windows XP. Yes HP have tried
>to sort it out, but they never found a solution.
>
> Now because I knew the printer worked fine on XP and I also had a full
> copy of XP available, my workaround was to install virtual machine
> software (Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 is free) install XP to the VM software
> and then install the printer. That solved my problem. Okay I will buy a
> another printer when I get round to it, but this one is only 2 years old.
> Don't want to be too hasty, anyway just in case, after I buy my new
> printer, HP decide not to create drivers for Windows 7 when that is
> released.

<snip>

What you write here really piqued my interest. I downloaded it, havent'
installed it yet. But the specs don't say Vista Home Premium. I noticed that
omission. So I'm wondering whether having Home Premium precludes my using
it. Great idea though!