Jerky system performance.

The Frederick

Jerky system performance.
Anybody else had this problem? I find that recently, applications running in
Vista are jerky; every so often, they stop for a few seconds and then start
again. It's only started recently, and I've run full virus and spyware scans
and defragmented the system. Anybody got any ideas?
Paul Montgomery

Re: Jerky system performance.
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 04:01:01 -0700, The Frederick
<TheFrederick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Anybody else had this problem? I find that recently, applications running in
>Vista are jerky; every so often, they stop for a few seconds and then start
>again. It's only started recently, and I've run full virus and spyware scans
>and defragmented the system. Anybody got any ideas?

Something is running in the background that is eating up your
processor's time, like an antivirus scan or something similar.

What have you installed recently? What changes have you made to your
system?
The Frederick

Re: Jerky system performance.
No idea, it COULD be Firefox 3.0.1, I don't remember having the problem
before I installed it.

"Paul Montgomery" wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 04:01:01 -0700, The Frederick
> <TheFrederick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Anybody else had this problem? I find that recently, applications running in
> >Vista are jerky; every so often, they stop for a few seconds and then start
> >again. It's only started recently, and I've run full virus and spyware scans
> >and defragmented the system. Anybody got any ideas?

> Something is running in the background that is eating up your
> processor's time, like an antivirus scan or something similar.
>
> What have you installed recently? What changes have you made to your
> system?

Paul Smith

"The Frederick" <TheFrederick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No idea, it COULD be Firefox 3.0.1, I don't remember having the problem
> before I installed it.

Try using System Restore to go back before you remember hitting this
problem. I doubt it is Firefox (if Firefox isn't running, it isn't running
and shouldn't be effecting the system), but it could of been an update to
Windows or another program, like iTunes which have plenty of background
craplets.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

The Frederick

Re: Jerky system performance.
I keep Firefox open pretty much all the time, though.

"Paul Smith" wrote:

> "The Frederick" <TheFrederick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No idea, it COULD be Firefox 3.0.1, I don't remember having the problem
> > before I installed it.

> Try using System Restore to go back before you remember hitting this
> problem. I doubt it is Firefox (if Firefox isn't running, it isn't running
> and shouldn't be effecting the system), but it could of been an update to
> Windows or another program, like iTunes which have plenty of background
> craplets.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
> http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Paul Montgomery

Re: Jerky system performance.
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 06:40:05 -0700, The Frederick
<TheFrederick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>No idea, it COULD be Firefox 3.0.1, I don't remember having the problem
>before I installed it.

I doubt it... I'm using Firefox 3.0 myself without problem.

>"Paul Montgomery" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 04:01:01 -0700, The Frederick
>> <TheFrederick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Anybody else had this problem? I find that recently, applications running in
>> >Vista are jerky; every so often, they stop for a few seconds and then start
>> >again. It's only started recently, and I've run full virus and spyware scans
>> >and defragmented the system. Anybody got any ideas?

>> Something is running in the background that is eating up your
>> processor's time, like an antivirus scan or something similar.
>>
>> What have you installed recently? What changes have you made to your
>> system?

victek

> Anybody else had this problem? I find that recently, applications running
> in
> Vista are jerky; every so often, they stop for a few seconds and then
> start
> again. It's only started recently, and I've run full virus and spyware
> scans
> and defragmented the system. Anybody got any ideas?

Open the task manager and view the processes list. Note the % CPU usage for
the various entries and look for spikes.

James McTavish

Re: Jerky system performance.
=?Utf-8?B?VGhlIEZyZWRlcmljaw==?=
<TheFrederick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Anybody else had this problem? I find that recently, applications
> running in Vista are jerky; every so often, they stop for a few
> seconds and then start again. It's only started recently, and I've run
> full virus and spyware scans and defragmented the system. Anybody got
> any ideas?

Download CPorts and run in admin mode and see if anything or anyone is
making established connections to your PC that shouldn't be.