Backup problem using Windows XP

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpc2xvbg==?=

Backup problem using Windows XP
For the first time, I'm trying to backup files using Windows XP.

As the system apparently won't let you backup to a DVD, I'm trying to backup
to an external hard-drive instead.

However, the 'Backup or Restore Wizard' is only identifying the D drive
(which is my DVD Re-writer.

Using the browse button to find my external drive is not working (despite
the fact that I can access data on the extarnal hard drive).

To make things worse, on the Wizard's drop-down menu highlighting which
drives it can identify, the D drive is identified as 'D:\'

When I click on the 'Next' button, an alert pops up telling me that I can't
place a backslash in the field identifying which drive I'm backing up to -
even though the Wizard is automatically including the backslash (which I
can't delete).

Any thoughts on what I need to do to backup successfully would be most
welcome.

Tim
Richard G. Harper

Re: Backup problem using Windows XP
Why are you posting a Windows XP question in a Vista newsgroup? I'd put
this in a Windows XP newsgroup for better results.

"Brislon" <Brislon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For the first time, I'm trying to backup files using Windows XP.
>
> As the system apparently won't let you backup to a DVD, I'm trying to
> backup
> to an external hard-drive instead.
>
> However, the 'Backup or Restore Wizard' is only identifying the D drive
> (which is my DVD Re-writer.
>
> Using the browse button to find my external drive is not working (despite
> the fact that I can access data on the extarnal hard drive).
>
> To make things worse, on the Wizard's drop-down menu highlighting which
> drives it can identify, the D drive is identified as 'D:\'
>
> When I click on the 'Next' button, an alert pops up telling me that I
> can't
> place a backslash in the field identifying which drive I'm backing up to -
> even though the Wizard is automatically including the backslash (which I
> can't delete).
>
> Any thoughts on what I need to do to backup successfully would be most
> welcome.
>
> Tim

Shenan Stanley

Brislon wrote:
> For the first time, I'm trying to backup files using Windows XP.
>
> As the system apparently won't let you backup to a DVD, I'm trying
> to backup to an external hard-drive instead.
>
> However, the 'Backup or Restore Wizard' is only identifying the D
> drive (which is my DVD Re-writer.
>
> Using the browse button to find my external drive is not working
> (despite the fact that I can access data on the extarnal hard
> drive).
>
> To make things worse, on the Wizard's drop-down menu highlighting
> which drives it can identify, the D drive is identified as 'D:\'
>
> When I click on the 'Next' button, an alert pops up telling me that
> I can't place a backslash in the field identifying which drive I'm
> backing up to - even though the Wizard is automatically including
> the backslash (which I can't delete).
>
> Any thoughts on what I need to do to backup successfully would be
> most welcome.

First - ask in a Windows XP Newsgroup...
You are currently in
"microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainte nance"...

Reboot with the External Hard Disk Drive turned on and hooked up.
Follow the instructions/steps here:

How To Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP