Cannot Remove Icons From Desktop

stitchfancy

Cannot Remove Icons From Desktop
I have been all over the internet looking for help - needless to say, haven't
found it yet. My computer is 3mo olds. I'm running Vista Home Premium
(pre-installed). The computer is a Compaq Presario, 1024 MB memory, 320 GB
hard drive.

When I first got the machine I removed all those ding-a-ling shortcuts that
are always on new computers - no problems.

Two days ago, since Vista is still fairly foreign to me, I was exploring.
The next thing I know I had icons on my desktop for Control Panel, Internet
Explorer, Network, Computer and a folder named Public.

The problem now is I am not able to get these blasted things off my desktop!
Vista will not let me delete them, I cannot uncheck them from the start
menu. I've tried changing the settings in the customizing & personalizing
screen. I have done the restore thing for two different time periods. I did
a full scan of computer. I have posted on practically every message board I
could find (most of didn't know as much as I do - which is not much!)
Microsoft says contact computer manufacturer, Compaq says need to contact
Microsoft........
-- I saw in the help & support where I can restore my computer back to the
way it was when I bought it, but I really don't think I want to do that.

If you folks have any suggestions for me, I would really appreciate some
help before I have to do anything drastic.

stitchfancy
Hogtowner

Re: Cannot Remove Icons From Desktop

Fear not stitchfancy,

There are icons and then there are icons. Whast you got there are the
latter. Right-click on an empty spot on your desktop, then click on the
"Personalize" choice at the bottom of the popup. Look at the left panel
of the personalize menu, the green and blue part, and click on the
"Change desktop items" choice. Unclick those little buggers what you
don't want. You're done. Almost.

The icon named "Public" is a different matter. You should be able to
delete that normally. That is, unless that has somehow become your "User
Files" folder. Did you by any chance use the name "Public" as your logon
name? Is there a little curved arrow on the bottom left of the icon? Let
us know how it goes after you get rid of the other icons.

Cheers

--
Hogtowner
John Barnett MVP

Re: Cannot Remove Icons From Desktop
Just right click on the desktop and, from the drop down menu, select
Personalize. In the left hand pane of the personalize window, Click 'change
desktop icons'. The desktop settings window will open. Remove the 'tick'
marks from the Control panel, Internet Explorer, Network, Computer and user
files then Click OK. The icons should now disappear.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"stitchfancy" <stitchfancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news3AE5158-4CD3-44C9-912E-3966F3C85F64@microsoft.com...
> I have been all over the internet looking for help - needless to say,
> haven't
> found it yet. My computer is 3mo olds. I'm running Vista Home Premium
> (pre-installed). The computer is a Compaq Presario, 1024 MB memory, 320 GB
> hard drive.
>
> When I first got the machine I removed all those ding-a-ling shortcuts
> that
> are always on new computers - no problems.
>
> Two days ago, since Vista is still fairly foreign to me, I was exploring.
> The next thing I know I had icons on my desktop for Control Panel,
> Internet
> Explorer, Network, Computer and a folder named Public.
>
> The problem now is I am not able to get these blasted things off my
> desktop!
> Vista will not let me delete them, I cannot uncheck them from the start
> menu. I've tried changing the settings in the customizing & personalizing
> screen. I have done the restore thing for two different time periods. I
> did
> a full scan of computer. I have posted on practically every message board
> could find (most of didn't know as much as I do - which is not much!)
> Microsoft says contact computer manufacturer, Compaq says need to contact
> Microsoft........
> -- I saw in the help & support where I can restore my computer back to the
> way it was when I bought it, but I really don't think I want to do that.
>
> If you folks have any suggestions for me, I would really appreciate some
> help before I have to do anything drastic.
>
> stitchfancy

stitchfancy

RE: Cannot Remove Icons From Desktop
Thanks guys, sorry but been there, done that. Doesn't work. Vista has grown
a mind of it's own - I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone Oh yes, there
was one other thing I forgot to list - I'm also getting a pop-up when logging
on saying that my anti-virus protection is turned off - Wrong - it is running
full speed ahead.
--
stitchfancy

"stitchfancy" wrote:

> I have been all over the internet looking for help - needless to say, haven't
> found it yet. My computer is 3mo olds. I'm running Vista Home Premium
> (pre-installed). The computer is a Compaq Presario, 1024 MB memory, 320 GB
> hard drive.
>
> When I first got the machine I removed all those ding-a-ling shortcuts that
> are always on new computers - no problems.
>
> Two days ago, since Vista is still fairly foreign to me, I was exploring.
> The next thing I know I had icons on my desktop for Control Panel, Internet
> Explorer, Network, Computer and a folder named Public.
>
> The problem now is I am not able to get these blasted things off my desktop!
> Vista will not let me delete them, I cannot uncheck them from the start
> menu. I've tried changing the settings in the customizing & personalizing
> screen. I have done the restore thing for two different time periods. I did
> a full scan of computer. I have posted on practically every message board I
> could find (most of didn't know as much as I do - which is not much!)
> Microsoft says contact computer manufacturer, Compaq says need to contact
> Microsoft........
> -- I saw in the help & support where I can restore my computer back to the
> way it was when I bought it, but I really don't think I want to do that.
>
> If you folks have any suggestions for me, I would really appreciate some
> help before I have to do anything drastic.
>
> stitchfancy

AJR

Re: Cannot Remove Icons From Desktop
The following "...I'm also getting a pop-up when logging on...." may turn
out to be most important! You did check for malware and so forth?

> Thanks guys, sorry but been there, done that. Doesn't work. Vista has
> grown
> a mind of it's own - I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone Oh yes,
> there
> was one other thing I forgot to list - I'm also getting a pop-up when
> logging
> on saying that my anti-virus protection is turned off - Wrong - it is
> running
> full speed ahead.
> --
> stitchfancy
>

> "stitchfancy" wrote:
>
>> I have been all over the internet looking for help - needless to say,
>> haven't
>> found it yet. My computer is 3mo olds. I'm running Vista Home Premium
>> (pre-installed). The computer is a Compaq Presario, 1024 MB memory, 320
>> GB
>> hard drive.
>>
>> When I first got the machine I removed all those ding-a-ling shortcuts
>> that
>> are always on new computers - no problems.
>>
>> Two days ago, since Vista is still fairly foreign to me, I was exploring.
>> The next thing I know I had icons on my desktop for Control Panel,
>> Internet
>> Explorer, Network, Computer and a folder named Public.
>>
>> The problem now is I am not able to get these blasted things off my
>> desktop!
>> Vista will not let me delete them, I cannot uncheck them from the start
>> menu. I've tried changing the settings in the customizing &
>> personalizing
>> screen. I have done the restore thing for two different time periods. I
>> did
>> a full scan of computer. I have posted on practically every message
>> board I
>> could find (most of didn't know as much as I do - which is not much!)
>> Microsoft says contact computer manufacturer, Compaq says need to contact
>> Microsoft........
>> -- I saw in the help & support where I can restore my computer back to
>> the
>> way it was when I bought it, but I really don't think I want to do that.
>>
>> If you folks have any suggestions for me, I would really appreciate some
>> help before I have to do anything drastic.
>>
>> stitchfancy

Hogtowner

Re: Cannot Remove Icons From Desktop

Stichfancy,

What A/V are you running? Just in case it is Kaspersky, turn off the
Registry Guard under Proactive defense. It is buggy, and they know it.

In any case, any such guard is among the first things I would
disable/uninstall at least long enough to see if the problem goes away

Sorry I missed the part about you already doing what I suggested.

Would everyone else please stop quoting posts that are on the same page
as your response. There is no need to quote the whole thing anyway, is
there, unless you can't keep track of what the post was about?

Hang in there, stitchfancy.

--
Hogtowner
Paul Montgomery

Re: Cannot Remove Icons From Desktop
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:39:46 -0500, Hogtowner
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Would everyone else please stop quoting posts that are on the same page
>as your response. There is no need to quote the whole thing anyway, is
>there, unless you can't keep track of what the post was about?

You are clueless. Note all the posts that are on the page YOU are on.

Note how many of them say "guest" or the number of posts is "n/a".
Know what that means????

THEY DON'T USE THAT PITIFUL SYSTEM that you are using, and thus don't
see the posts.

YOU need to start quoting what you are replying to so that everyone
ELSE can see what you are talking about.
AJR

Re: Cannot Remove Icons From Desktop
Paul - I agree totally with you - nothing more exasperating than not knowing
to what a response is referring.

"Paul Montgomery" <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:39:46 -0500, Hogtowner
> <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
>
>>Would everyone else please stop quoting posts that are on the same page
>>as your response. There is no need to quote the whole thing anyway, is
>>there, unless you can't keep track of what the post was about?

> You are clueless. Note all the posts that are on the page YOU are on.
>
> Note how many of them say "guest" or the number of posts is "n/a".
> Know what that means????
>
> THEY DON'T USE THAT PITIFUL SYSTEM that you are using, and thus don't
> see the posts.
>
> YOU need to start quoting what you are replying to so that everyone
> ELSE can see what you are talking about.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Cannot Remove Icons From Desktop
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:39:46 -0500, Hogtowner
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

> Would everyone else please stop quoting posts that are on the same page
> as your response. There is no need to quote the whole thing anyway, is
> there, unless you can't keep track of what the post was about?

No!

The "same page as your response" that you see is not what most of the
rest of us see. You are using one of those reprehensible web-based
forums to access a Windows public newsgroup hosted by Microsoft and
suck up posts here. You are in the newsgroup
microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance, whether you
realize it or not.

Most of us here use a newsreader to access this newsgroup, and most of
us don't keep already-messages. The result is that a message without a
quote is incomprehensible to most of us. Moreover quoting in newsgroup
posts is standard netiquette.

If you want to be a good newsgroup citizen, learn to *always* quote
the message you are responding to, and start participating properly,
directly in the newsgroup.

Do yourself a favor and switch to a newsreader, such as Outlook
Express, which comes with Windows. See
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm
You'll find that it's a far better experience.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Hogtowner

Re: Cannot Remove Icons From Desktop

Mr Blake,

I couldn't agree with you more. On the other hand, I couldn't agree
with you less. I just can't agree with you at all.

You think the "proper" way to participate is to repeat what the last
person said almost verbatim because you cannot be bothered to retrace
the history of the posts. It is not just inefficient and irritating.

--
Hogtowner