unexplained loss of hard drive space on disk

alanjane

unexplained loss of hard drive space on disk
I'm running Windows Vista on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Without any
additions of program material to the computer, it shows a steadily dropping
amount of space on the disk that remains available.
In a three week perod with doing nothing other than using the internet and
reading e-mails, available space on the disk dropped by 5 GB.
The disk has been cleaned, internet options deleted and the entire computer
has been defragmented with no change to the situation.
I am totally baffeled by what is changing available space. Help!
--
Alan Richardson
Nonny

Re: unexplained loss of hard drive space on disk
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 14:46:00 -0700, alanjane
<alanjane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm running Windows Vista on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Without any
>additions of program material to the computer, it shows a steadily dropping
>amount of space on the disk that remains available.
>In a three week perod with doing nothing other than using the internet and
>reading e-mails, available space on the disk dropped by 5 GB.
>The disk has been cleaned, internet options deleted and the entire computer
>has been defragmented with no change to the situation.
>I am totally baffeled by what is changing available space. Help!

System Restore reserves 15% of your hard drive for restore points.

As new restore points accumulate, more of that reserved space becomes
used and you show less space available.

So what you see is normal.
Victek

Re: unexplained loss of hard drive space on disk
> I'm running Windows Vista on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Without any
> additions of program material to the computer, it shows a steadily
> dropping
> amount of space on the disk that remains available.
> In a three week perod with doing nothing other than using the internet and
> reading e-mails, available space on the disk dropped by 5 GB.
> The disk has been cleaned, internet options deleted and the entire
> computer
> has been defragmented with no change to the situation.
> I am totally baffeled by what is changing available space. Help!
> --
> Alan Richardson

System Restore and Shadow Copies are taking up the space. If you wish to
reclaim it you can delete all but the most recent Restore point by going to
Disk Cleanup/More Options. Hope this helps.

rsb34

Re: unexplained loss of hard drive space on disk

I also have a Toshiba Satelite Laptop and was having the same problem.
It appears the problem is with using System Restore points. The minute
I turned off system protection and all previous restore points were
deleted I went from having 2GB of free space back to 93GB of free space.

rb

--
rsb34