Explorer shutting down

jlhawk

Explorer shutting down

Yep... Right now, if I try to use windows explorer at all, it shuts down
leaving me a desktop. I can re run it from task manager and it comes
back, and I can use email, and surf and pull up applications, but if I
try to drill down to a file using my computer, or go into control panel
it'll shut down again... registry settings look good, and I'm suspecting
a virus of some kind, but as I run scans I thought I'd post and see if
anyone has had this bug, and what they may have done to eradicate it...

--
jlhawk
Malke

Re: Explorer shutting down
jlhawk wrote:

> Yep... Right now, if I try to use windows explorer at all, it shuts down
> leaving me a desktop. I can re run it from task manager and it comes
> back, and I can use email, and surf and pull up applications, but if I
> try to drill down to a file using my computer, or go into control panel
> it'll shut down again... registry settings look good, and I'm suspecting
> a virus of some kind, but as I run scans I thought I'd post and see if
> anyone has had this bug, and what they may have done to eradicate it...

You'd be better off running your scans first and then posting back if you
have questions about the results. Otherwise we're all just guessing, which
isn't useful.

Go through the malware scanning steps I'll give you. Be thorough. If after
you've done all that the machine is clean, you can try MVP Rick Roger's
tip. Certainly you can try Rick's tip first to save time, but if the
machine is infected that won't help.

A. For when explorer.exe won't start - from MVP Rick Rogers

Click start, type 'regedit' and hit <enter> to open the registry editor.
Expand the keys at left to reach:

Click on this key, then locate the 'shell' string in the right pane.
Double-click it, replace the contents with just:

explorer.exe

Click ok, then close the registry editor and reboot.

B. General malware removal steps:

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do
all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://tinyurl.com/yoeru3 - download link and more instructions

When all else fails, get guided help. Choose one of the specialty forums
listed at the first link. Register and read its posting FAQ. PLEASE DO NOT
POST LOGS IN THE MS NEWSGROUPS.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

jlhawk

Re: Explorer shutting down

Well I think I have it now... thanks... I was trying to download
software updates and apparently got bit hard by trojans... unbelieveable
as I'm running up to date virus and spyware programs and typically do a
regular scan manually... these managed to sneak right in... It shot me
down for most of the day yesterday... I have no idea what it was exactly
since there were quite a few (30) found... I'd love to get my hands on
the $%#^& who put these things together...

--
jlhawk
Malke

Re: Explorer shutting down
jlhawk wrote:

> Well I think I have it now... thanks... I was trying to download
> software updates and apparently got bit hard by trojans... unbelieveable
> as I'm running up to date virus and spyware programs and typically do a
> regular scan manually... these managed to sneak right in... It shot me
> down for most of the day yesterday... I have no idea what it was exactly
> since there were quite a few (30) found... I'd love to get my hands on
> the $%#^& who put these things together...

Glad you got things sorted. Thanks for taking the time to post back.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

mkjgod

Re: Explorer shutting down

I had the same problem about a week ago after a torrent download. I am
using the latest AVG Free but it would not fix the problem and I ended
up downloading a 6 mont trial of LiveOneCare from microsoft which
cleaned every thing up nicely. had to do a reboot to fix some of them
but at least it worked unlike AVG Free, I guess you get what you pay for
unless its a free trial which can be good too!!

--
mkjgod
jlhawk

Re: Explorer shutting down

I'm running McAfee here, bought, paid for and updated daily... it warned
me it found something, but it obviously didn't snag everything... the
product that eventually cleaned it all was a free download of
Malwarebyte's Anti Malware...

--
jlhawk