uninstall help

please help

uninstall help
I'm trying to delete a program and it gives me the 'cannot locate file
uninstall.exe'
then asks me to browse or cancel. how can I fix this
Mark H

Re: uninstall help
Reinstall the program over itself to restore a deleted file or broken
connection.

If uninstall.exe is still not present, it may simply be poorly written.

"please help" <please help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to delete a program and it gives me the 'cannot locate file
> uninstall.exe'
> then asks me to browse or cancel. how can I fix this

Mick Murphy

Re: uninstall help
John, people seem to be relying too much on SR. Taking it back 6 months,
means he has to reinstall all the MS updates since that date!
Wonderful if it includes SP1.

Also, programs the OP installed will be gone.
I consider SR bad advice, unless the last solution before reinstall.
Or using it to go back a month, at the max!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> I've always found that, when having problems uninstalling software, it
> sometimes helps to actually re-install the program first and then try
> uninstalling it again. In most cases it is quicker than trying to
> troubleshoot the problem.
>
> Another option, assuming the program hasn't been on your PC for ages, is to
> see if you have a system restore point prior to when you installed the
> software. If you have then restore back to that point.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>

> "please help" <please help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to delete a program and it gives me the 'cannot locate file
> > uninstall.exe'
> > then asks me to browse or cancel. how can I fix this

John Barnett MVP

Re: uninstall help
I agree people are relying upon SR far too much - I personally don't because
SR is disabled on my machine, I much prefer a regular imaged backup.

SR however was created for the purpose of returning the system back to a
previous point when a user experienced problems with software s/he
installed. I only included the suggestion in case, after re-installing the
original program, the problem still persisted.

SR apparently keeps restore points for a period of 90 days - assuming you
have sufficient space available (When SR was enabled on my PC I was lucky to
get a maximum of 6 days, even though I have plenty of free space available.)
I personally wouldn't trust a restore point of 90 days to be reliable. A few
weeks, maybe, but not a few months.

I'm sure you will agree that creating a full backup image of your hard drive
on a regular basis is a far better option than using SR.