Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

SVCHOST.exe using a lot of memory

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-25-2008
smicale
 

Posts: n/a
SVCHOST.exe using a lot of memory
I am seeing a SVCHOST.exe using a about 116,360K of memory on my Vista
machine. I have ran all my ONECare antivirus/spyware tools and nothing is
coming up as a problem. I see that the Super Fetch service seems to be the
one that is hogging all this memory. When I stop that service it releases
the memory. Is this normal? What can I do to fix it? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-25-2008
Nonny
 

Posts: n/a
Re: SVCHOST.exe using a lot of memory
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 07:21:03 -0700, smicale
<smicale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am seeing a SVCHOST.exe using a about 116,360K of memory on my Vista
>machine. I have ran all my ONECare antivirus/spyware tools and nothing is
>coming up as a problem. I see that the Super Fetch service seems to be the
>one that is hogging all this memory. When I stop that service it releases
>the memory. Is this normal? What can I do to fix it? Thanks!


There is nothing abnormal about all the SVCHOST entries you see.

Stopping any service that is running will release some memory. The
trick is to figure out which ones you need and which ones you don't
need.

You can look at Startup in MSCONFIG and disable those items one at a
time (and reboot) to see if you need all of them. And there is more:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/supertweaks.htm

Proceed with caution.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2008
smicale
 

Posts: n/a
Re: SVCHOST.exe using a lot of memory
It appears the problem is with the SysMan service. Does this service need to
be running?

"Nonny" wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 07:21:03 -0700, smicale
> <smicale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am seeing a SVCHOST.exe using a about 116,360K of memory on my Vista
> >machine. I have ran all my ONECare antivirus/spyware tools and nothing is
> >coming up as a problem. I see that the Super Fetch service seems to be the
> >one that is hogging all this memory. When I stop that service it releases
> >the memory. Is this normal? What can I do to fix it? Thanks!

>
> There is nothing abnormal about all the SVCHOST entries you see.
>
> Stopping any service that is running will release some memory. The
> trick is to figure out which ones you need and which ones you don't
> need.
>
> You can look at Startup in MSCONFIG and disable those items one at a
> time (and reboot) to see if you need all of them. And there is more:
>
> http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm
>
> http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/supertweaks.htm
>
> Proceed with caution.
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: SVCHOST.exe using a lot of memory
smicale wrote:

> It appears the problem is with the SysMan service. Does this service need
> to be running?


It's not a Windows process and in fact may be a trojan:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=SysMan&btnG=Search

What does a good malware/virus scanning get you? (I don't include OneCare in
that terminology.) Be sure the machine is clean:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-27-2008
smicale
 

Posts: n/a
Re: SVCHOST.exe using a lot of memory
sysman is not a process running on my machine, it is a service. Do you think
this is still mailware or a virus?

"Malke" wrote:

> smicale wrote:
>
> > It appears the problem is with the SysMan service. Does this service need
> > to be running?

>
> It's not a Windows process and in fact may be a trojan:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=SysMan&btnG=Search
>
> What does a good malware/virus scanning get you? (I don't include OneCare in
> that terminology.) Be sure the machine is clean:
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-27-2008
Nonny
 

Posts: n/a
Re: SVCHOST.exe using a lot of memory
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 20:34:00 -0700, smicale
<smicale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>sysman is not a process running on my machine, it is a service. Do you think
>this is still mailware or a virus?


Did you look at the link she gave you??


>
>"Malke" wrote:
>
>> smicale wrote:
>>
>> > It appears the problem is with the SysMan service. Does this service need
>> > to be running?

>>
>> It's not a Windows process and in fact may be a trojan:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=SysMan&btnG=Search
>>
>> What does a good malware/virus scanning get you? (I don't include OneCare in
>> that terminology.) Be sure the machine is clean:
>>
>> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> MS-MVP
>> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
>> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
>>
>>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-27-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: SVCHOST.exe using a lot of memory
smicale wrote:

> sysman is not a process running on my machine, it is a service. Do you
> think this is still mailware or a virus?


A process is the same as a service so Sysman is most definitely running on
your machine. I cannot see your computer from here so I cannot guess
whether you have malware. That's why I gave you the link to malware removal
steps. If you haven't gone through the thorough steps, you have no way of
knowing whether your machine is clean. I suspect it isn't, but that's only
an educated guess based on many years of working on Windows machines.

Standard disclaimer: I can't see and test your computer myself, so these are
just suggestions based on many years of being a professional computer tech;
suggestions based on what you've written. You should not take my
suggestions as a definitive diagnosis. If you can't do the work yourself
(and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea), take the
machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent
of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). If possible, have all your data backed up
before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2008
belgradar
 

Posts: n/a
Re: SVCHOST.exe using a lot of memory

its perfectly normal its just the superfetch you can turn superfetching
of inthe service panel. if you do that svhost process will dissapear.
try it if you want to test it. but thats what it is. superfetch just
uses lots of memory.


--
belgradar
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
svchost using a lot of memory storsett microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 0 02-10-2008 13:18
svchost.exe memory usage vistauser microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 3 01-05-2008 23:38
svchost.exe using up a lot of memory NaraYondaime microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 2 12-24-2007 10:46
RE: QueryHistory API causes memory leak svchost Brian E microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0 11-30-2007 18:11
svchost.exe memory leak? =?Utf-8?B?YW5uYWNvbGxlZW4=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 5 04-17-2007 11:52




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:01.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120