my desktop PC is waking itself up! annoying!

=?Utf-8?B?QSBM?=

my desktop PC is waking itself up! annoying!
Hello-

I've been putting my PC to sleep instead of shutting down. Every few days,
my computer will wake itself back up- which is annoying. Looking in the
Event Viewer, under System, the first message is:

The system detected that network adapter Local Area Connection was connected
to the network, and has initiated normal operation.

And so it seems to have something to do with the ethernet card. I utilize
the motherboard Nvidia LAN connector. I cannot find anything in the BIOS
that deals with WOL (Wake On Lan) capability.

Anyone know what I need to do to prevent my PC from waking itself up?
Thanks! AL
=?Utf-8?B?QSBM?=

RE: my desktop PC is waking itself up! annoying!
By the way, this waking up phenomenom can occur multiple hours after I put it
to sleep. It's not something that happens immediately after I put it to
sleep.

"A L" wrote:

> Hello-
>
> I've been putting my PC to sleep instead of shutting down. Every few days,
> my computer will wake itself back up- which is annoying. Looking in the
> Event Viewer, under System, the first message is:
>
> The system detected that network adapter Local Area Connection was connected
> to the network, and has initiated normal operation.
>
> And so it seems to have something to do with the ethernet card. I utilize
> the motherboard Nvidia LAN connector. I cannot find anything in the BIOS
> that deals with WOL (Wake On Lan) capability.
>
> Anyone know what I need to do to prevent my PC from waking itself up?
> Thanks! AL

dean-dean

Re: my desktop PC is waking itself up! annoying!
In Device Manager, under "Network adapters", double-click your network card.
Got to the tab "Power Management", and make the appropriate changes.

"A L" <AL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> By the way, this waking up phenomenom can occur multiple hours after I put
> it
> to sleep. It's not something that happens immediately after I put it to
> sleep.
>
> "A L" wrote:
>
>> Hello-
>>
>> I've been putting my PC to sleep instead of shutting down. Every few
>> days,
>> my computer will wake itself back up- which is annoying. Looking in the
>> Event Viewer, under System, the first message is:
>>
>> The system detected that network adapter Local Area Connection was
>> connected
>> to the network, and has initiated normal operation.
>>
>> And so it seems to have something to do with the ethernet card. I
>> utilize
>> the motherboard Nvidia LAN connector. I cannot find anything in the BIOS
>> that deals with WOL (Wake On Lan) capability.
>>
>> Anyone know what I need to do to prevent my PC from waking itself up?
>> Thanks! AL

=?Utf-8?B?QSBM?=

Re: my desktop PC is waking itself up! annoying!
Ah, thanks. One would think this setting would be in the Power Options
component of Control Panel!!!

AL

"dean-dean" wrote:

> In Device Manager, under "Network adapters", double-click your network card.
> Got to the tab "Power Management", and make the appropriate changes.
>

> "A L" <AL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > By the way, this waking up phenomenom can occur multiple hours after I put
> > it
> > to sleep. It's not something that happens immediately after I put it to
> > sleep.
> >
> > "A L" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello-
> >>
> >> I've been putting my PC to sleep instead of shutting down. Every few
> >> days,
> >> my computer will wake itself back up- which is annoying. Looking in the
> >> Event Viewer, under System, the first message is:
> >>
> >> The system detected that network adapter Local Area Connection was
> >> connected
> >> to the network, and has initiated normal operation.
> >>
> >> And so it seems to have something to do with the ethernet card. I
> >> utilize
> >> the motherboard Nvidia LAN connector. I cannot find anything in the BIOS
> >> that deals with WOL (Wake On Lan) capability.
> >>
> >> Anyone know what I need to do to prevent my PC from waking itself up?
> >> Thanks! AL

Michael

Re: my desktop PC is waking itself up! annoying!
Easy way to check if it is getting woke up from the lan (rather than some
scheduled task) is to unplug the lan cable before you put it to sleep. If it
still wakes up it is not the lan's fault.

Michael

"A L" <AL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> By the way, this waking up phenomenom can occur multiple hours after I put
> it
> to sleep. It's not something that happens immediately after I put it to
> sleep.
>
> "A L" wrote:
>
>> Hello-
>>
>> I've been putting my PC to sleep instead of shutting down. Every few
>> days,
>> my computer will wake itself back up- which is annoying. Looking in the
>> Event Viewer, under System, the first message is:
>>
>> The system detected that network adapter Local Area Connection was
>> connected
>> to the network, and has initiated normal operation.
>>
>> And so it seems to have something to do with the ethernet card. I
>> utilize
>> the motherboard Nvidia LAN connector. I cannot find anything in the BIOS
>> that deals with WOL (Wake On Lan) capability.
>>
>> Anyone know what I need to do to prevent my PC from waking itself up?
>> Thanks! AL

Re: my desktop PC is waking itself up! annoying!
Type in a command prompt

This will list what last woke the computer
powercfg -lastwake

This will list everything about your hardware and sleep
powercfg -DEVICEQUERY all_devices_verbose

And this tells you the sleep states available and perhaps why not available.
powercfg -a