Readyboost performance

Bill Leary

Readyboost performance
Where should I be looking to examine performance or operational statistics
for Readyboost on my system?

I put the USB drive it, got the usual alert, and it claimed to have put the
drive into operation, but I haven't been able to either verify that it's
actually being used or to examine anything about how it's doing it's job.

- Bill

Mike Hall - MS MVP

Re: Readyboost performance
Bill

Some reading for you..

http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...02/615199.aspx

news51A0554-204A-4F80-A752-B0B35A643D2C@microsoft.com...

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Readyboost performance
Using Windows ReadyBoost is not the same thing as adding more system memory.
Windows ReadyBoost can improve system performance because it can retrieve
data kept
on the flash memory more quickly than it can retrieve data kept on the hard
disk, decreasing
the time you need to wait for your PC to respond.

Rock

Re: Readyboost performance
"Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote
> Where should I be looking to examine performance or operational statistics
> for Readyboost on my system?
>
> I put the USB drive it, got the usual alert, and it claimed to have put
> the drive into operation, but I haven't been able to either verify that
> it's actually being used or to examine anything about how it's doing it's
> job.

To see if it's reading/writing from the cache open the Reliability and
Performance Monitor. From the start orb type the first few letters of
Reliability. Click on the entry that pops up at the top left. Once opened
expand the Disk section and order by Write. Look for file labeled <Drive
Letter>:\ReadyBoost.sfcache.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Bill Leary

Re: Readyboost performance
"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote
>> Where should I be looking to examine performance or operational
>> statistics for Readyboost on my system?
>>
>> I put the USB drive it, got the usual alert, and it claimed to have put
>> the drive into operation, but I haven't been able to either verify that
>> it's actually being used or to examine anything about how it's doing it's
>> job.

> To see if it's reading/writing from the cache open the Reliability and
> Performance Monitor. From the start orb type the first few letters of
> Reliability. Click on the entry that pops up at the top left. Once
> opened expand the Disk section and order by Write. Look for file labeled
> <Drive Letter>:\ReadyBoost.sfcache.

Thanks. Exactly what I needed.

As I suspected, it had stopped working, for Readyboost purposes.

The optimization settings for the drive had gotten changed to optimized for
quick removal. Set that way, the performance is too low to enable it for
Readyboost. I probably changed it accidentally while trying to make
adjustments to one of my other USB drives.

For Mike Hall and Carey Frisch, yes, I've read the article and I understand
what Readyboost does. I had it working originally, then noticed the hard
disk activity had returned to what it was before I installed the USB Flash
drive. I wanted to see if it had become disabled, which it turned out it
had.

- Bill

miss-information

Re: Readyboost performance
"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote
>> Where should I be looking to examine performance or operational
>> statistics for Readyboost on my system?
>>
>> I put the USB drive it, got the usual alert, and it claimed to have put
>> the drive into operation, but I haven't been able to either verify that
>> it's actually being used or to examine anything about how it's doing it's
>> job.

> To see if it's reading/writing from the cache open the Reliability and
> Performance Monitor. From the start orb type the first few letters of
> Reliability. Click on the entry that pops up at the top left. Once
> opened expand the Disk section and order by Write. Look for file labeled
> <Drive Letter>:\ReadyBoost.sfcache.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

I just did this and have a question. The ReadyBoost device shows, 108,
under the Response Time (ms) and the Page file shows 10. Does this seem
backward, as the USB device should be faster than the hard drive?

mi

miss-information

Re: Readyboost performance
"miss-information" <invalid@invalid.net> wrote in message
> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote
>>> Where should I be looking to examine performance or operational
>>> statistics for Readyboost on my system?
>>>
>>> I put the USB drive it, got the usual alert, and it claimed to have put
>>> the drive into operation, but I haven't been able to either verify that
>>> it's actually being used or to examine anything about how it's doing
>>> it's job.

>> To see if it's reading/writing from the cache open the Reliability and
>> Performance Monitor. From the start orb type the first few letters of
>> Reliability. Click on the entry that pops up at the top left. Once
>> opened expand the Disk section and order by Write. Look for file labeled
>> <Drive Letter>:\ReadyBoost.sfcache.
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

> I just did this and have a question. The ReadyBoost device shows, 108,
> under the Response Time (ms) and the Page file shows 10. Does this seem
> backward, as the USB device should be faster than the hard drive?
>
> mi

I just checked again and saw ReadyBoost running at 26ms. Better, but still
slower than the page file.

mi

Rock

Re: Readyboost performance