Upgrading for better overall performance

Lang Murphy

Re: Upgrading for better overall performance
Drew wrote:
> I thought maybe some one here can help..First off Vista works great for
> my games and actually I have not had any problems with it at all but I
> want to improve things so,,,
> Currently running Vista Business on a
> AMD socket 939 motherboard with a AMD 3200+ 2000 processor
> 2 gigs of ddr500 Crucial Ballistix tracer ram
> Twin 160gig hdds in a raid0 format
> A PNY Geforce7900gs 256 video card
> Creative soundblaster x-fi extreme gamer card for an overall score of 4.1
>
> Going to upgrade to an Intel core duo 2.16 gig processor on
> The Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
> 4gigs of DDR2 800 Ballistix tracer ram
> Twin 160gig hdds in a raid0 format
> Pny 7900gs vid card at least until Ati brings out their DX10 card so I i
> can use the crossfire capability on this board
>
> My question would be how much difference will I see in overall speed and
> performance ????
> Thanks as always for any input

Not for nothing... but if your present gig runs fine, then why change
things? You don't say if you're running x86 or x64, but my SWAG would be
that you might not see that much improvement. If you're running x86,
you're definitely not going to see all 4GB's of RAM.

Of course, getting new hw at cost is something very few of us could pass
by... ;-)

Lang

Mike Hall - MS MVP

Re: Upgrading for better overall performance
Overall speed and performance while doing what exactly? do you have anything
specific in mind?

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Drew

Re: Upgrading for better overall performance
More or less the future it seems that with each release of windows it
requires more power to get the same speed and also to include higher end
gaming...The bottom line is I got my boss a good deal on replacement of the
computers at work so in appreciation the particular computer shop is giving
me all this new stuff at or below their cost
"Mike Hall - MS MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Overall speed and performance while doing what exactly? do you have
> anything specific in mind?
>

> "Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> I thought maybe some one here can help..First off Vista works great for
>> my games and actually I have not had any problems with it at all but I
>> want to improve things so,,,
>> Currently running Vista Business on a
>> AMD socket 939 motherboard with a AMD 3200+ 2000 processor
>> 2 gigs of ddr500 Crucial Ballistix tracer ram
>> Twin 160gig hdds in a raid0 format
>> A PNY Geforce7900gs 256 video card
>> Creative soundblaster x-fi extreme gamer card for an overall score of 4.1
>>
>> Going to upgrade to an Intel core duo 2.16 gig processor on
>> The Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
>> 4gigs of DDR2 800 Ballistix tracer ram
>> Twin 160gig hdds in a raid0 format
>> Pny 7900gs vid card at least until Ati brings out their DX10 card so I i
>> can use the crossfire capability on this board
>>
>> My question would be how much difference will I see in overall speed and
>> performance ????
>> Thanks as always for any input

> --
>

> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Mike Hall - MS MVP

Re: Upgrading for better overall performance
If you can afford it, then do it, but as with any computer, today's top of
the line is tomorrows budget range..

"Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
newsE05E3FE-4E67-456C-9149-9295A96FBA21@microsoft.com...
> More or less the future it seems that with each release of windows it
> requires more power to get the same speed and also to include higher end
> gaming...The bottom line is I got my boss a good deal on replacement of
> the computers at work so in appreciation the particular computer shop is
> giving me all this new stuff at or below their cost
> "Mike Hall - MS MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Overall speed and performance while doing what exactly? do you have
>> anything specific in mind?
>>

>> "Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> I thought maybe some one here can help..First off Vista works great for
>>> my games and actually I have not had any problems with it at all but I
>>> want to improve things so,,,
>>> Currently running Vista Business on a
>>> AMD socket 939 motherboard with a AMD 3200+ 2000 processor
>>> 2 gigs of ddr500 Crucial Ballistix tracer ram
>>> Twin 160gig hdds in a raid0 format
>>> A PNY Geforce7900gs 256 video card
>>> Creative soundblaster x-fi extreme gamer card for an overall score of
>>> 4.1
>>>
>>> Going to upgrade to an Intel core duo 2.16 gig processor on
>>> The Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
>>> 4gigs of DDR2 800 Ballistix tracer ram
>>> Twin 160gig hdds in a raid0 format
>>> Pny 7900gs vid card at least until Ati brings out their DX10 card so I i
>>> can use the crossfire capability on this board
>>>
>>> My question would be how much difference will I see in overall speed and
>>> performance ????
>>> Thanks as always for any input

>> --
>>

>> Mike Hall
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

=?Utf-8?B?R3VzIEtsaW5l?=

RE: Upgrading for better overall performance
Why don't you get an X24800 or FX60 and drop it in your present rig?

"Drew" wrote:

> I thought maybe some one here can help..First off Vista works great for my
> games and actually I have not had any problems with it at all but I want to
> improve things so,,,
> Currently running Vista Business on a
> AMD socket 939 motherboard with a AMD 3200+ 2000 processor
> 2 gigs of ddr500 Crucial Ballistix tracer ram
> Twin 160gig hdds in a raid0 format
> A PNY Geforce7900gs 256 video card
> Creative soundblaster x-fi extreme gamer card for an overall score of 4.1
>
> Going to upgrade to an Intel core duo 2.16 gig processor on
> The Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
> 4gigs of DDR2 800 Ballistix tracer ram
> Twin 160gig hdds in a raid0 format
> Pny 7900gs vid card at least until Ati brings out their DX10 card so I i can
> use the crossfire capability on this board
>
> My question would be how much difference will I see in overall speed and
> performance ????
> Thanks as always for any input

Drew

Re: Upgrading for better overall performance
I guess more than anything I need to know how much difference I would see in
Speed...Would programs open faster?? ..Would games run faster??...The only
problem I have now is that when using windows live messenger in a voice
conversation and trying to surf the web at the same time my CPU is pegged
according to the sidebar gadget and conversations break up badly...Running
dsl with a 6mg download speed
"Gus Kline" <GusKline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why don't you get an X24800 or FX60 and drop it in your present rig?
>
> "Drew" wrote:
>
>> I thought maybe some one here can help..First off Vista works great for
>> my
>> games and actually I have not had any problems with it at all but I want
>> improve things so,,,
>> Currently running Vista Business on a
>> AMD socket 939 motherboard with a AMD 3200+ 2000 processor
>> 2 gigs of ddr500 Crucial Ballistix tracer ram
>> Twin 160gig hdds in a raid0 format
>> A PNY Geforce7900gs 256 video card
>> Creative soundblaster x-fi extreme gamer card for an overall score of 4.1
>>
>> Going to upgrade to an Intel core duo 2.16 gig processor on
>> The Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
>> 4gigs of DDR2 800 Ballistix tracer ram
>> Twin 160gig hdds in a raid0 format
>> Pny 7900gs vid card at least until Ati brings out their DX10 card so I i
>> can
>> use the crossfire capability on this board
>>
>> My question would be how much difference will I see in overall speed and
>> performance ????
>> Thanks as always for any input

miss-information

Re: Upgrading for better overall performance
I see no mention of a case. Do you already have a BX case?

mi

"Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> More or less the future it seems that with each release of windows it
> requires more power to get the same speed and also to include higher end
> gaming...The bottom line is I got my boss a good deal on replacement of
> the computers at work so in appreciation the particular computer shop is
> giving me all this new stuff at or below their cost

>> "Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net>
>>> I thought maybe some one here can help..First off Vista works great for
>>> my games and actually I have not had any problems with it at all but I
>>> want to improve things so,,,
>>> Currently running Vista Business on a
>>> AMD socket 939 motherboard with a AMD 3200+ 2000 processor
>>> 2 gigs of ddr500 Crucial Ballistix tracer ram
>>> Twin 160gig hdds in a raid0 format
>>> A PNY Geforce7900gs 256 video card
>>> Creative soundblaster x-fi extreme gamer card for an overall score of
>>> 4.1
>>>
>>> Going to upgrade to an Intel core duo 2.16 gig processor on
>>> The Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
>>> 4gigs of DDR2 800 Ballistix tracer ram
>>> Twin 160gig hdds in a raid0 format
>>> Pny 7900gs vid card at least until Ati brings out their DX10 card so I i
>>> can use the crossfire capability on this board
>>>
>>> My question would be how much difference will I see in overall speed and
>>> performance ????
>>> Thanks as always for any input

Drew

Re: Upgrading for better overall performance
By "BX" you mean btx My case (Thermaltake Armor) supports both and in this
case The Intel D975XBX2 is a atx motherboard