xp home and vista dual boot ??

Terry

xp home and vista dual boot ??
I have a PC with XP Home installed. If I install Vista on top of this
will I have the facility to dual boot or will I have to mess about
repartioning
the hard disk ?

Regards

Rick Rogers

Re: xp home and vista dual boot ??
Hi Terry,

What do you want to end up with? A dual boot or an upgrade?

Yes, you can install Vista and create a dual boot with a full version disk
(you cannot do this with the upgrade disk). To do so requires that you
install it to a volume other than the one XP is installed on (to install
them both to the same volume will render XP unbootable). If you are
currently running a single drive/volume system, then yes you will have to
create at least one additional volume or partition to install to.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Terry" <terryREMOVE@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a PC with XP Home installed. If I install Vista on top of this
> will I have the facility to dual boot or will I have to mess about
> repartioning
> the hard disk ?
>
> Regards

Rock

Re: xp home and vista dual boot ??
"Terry" <terryREMOVE@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote
>I have a PC with XP Home installed. If I install Vista on top of this
> will I have the facility to dual boot or will I have to mess about
> repartioning
> the hard disk ?

What do you mean install on top? To dual boot you will need to create a
second partition for the Vista installation. You will also need a full
version of Vista for this. With an upgrade version the license does not
allow for Vista and the qualifying OS to be installed at the same time.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Terry

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Terry" <terryREMOVE@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote
>>I have a PC with XP Home installed. If I install Vista on top of this
>> will I have the facility to dual boot or will I have to mess about
>> repartioning
>> the hard disk ?

> What do you mean install on top? To dual boot you will need to create a
> second partition for the Vista installation. You will also need a full
> version of Vista for this. With an upgrade version the license does not
> allow for Vista and the qualifying OS to be installed at the same time.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Creating a new partition is not a problem. Its a real pain in the *** having
buy the full version, The chances are that I will never use XP again.
It is very handy having xp to fall back on while I am sorting out Vista
problems (drivers etc). otherwise I could finish up with no PC.

Regards

mikeyhsd

Re: xp home and vista dual boot ??
if you buy the upgrade version there is a procedure that has been posted numerous times here and in magazines and other computer news locations on how to install clean with an upgrade version.
it requires a double install of vista.

also if you buy the upgrade version and upgrade your XP you lose the XP license.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Terry" <terryREMOVE@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:-sSdnXL765Ejg5vbRVnyiQA@giganews.com...

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Terry" <terryREMOVE@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote
>>I have a PC with XP Home installed. If I install Vista on top of this
>> will I have the facility to dual boot or will I have to mess about
>> repartioning
>> the hard disk ?

> What do you mean install on top? To dual boot you will need to create a
> second partition for the Vista installation. You will also need a full
> version of Vista for this. With an upgrade version the license does not
> allow for Vista and the qualifying OS to be installed at the same time.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Creating a new partition is not a problem. Its a real pain in the *** having
buy the full version, The chances are that I will never use XP again.
It is very handy having xp to fall back on while I am sorting out Vista
problems (drivers etc). otherwise I could finish up with no PC.

Regards

Rock

Re: xp home and vista dual boot ??
"Terry" <terryREMOVE@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote

> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote

>> "Terry" <terryREMOVE@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote
>>>I have a PC with XP Home installed. If I install Vista on top of this
>>> will I have the facility to dual boot or will I have to mess about
>>> repartioning
>>> the hard disk ?

>> What do you mean install on top? To dual boot you will need to create a
>> second partition for the Vista installation. You will also need a full
>> version of Vista for this. With an upgrade version the license does not
>> allow for Vista and the qualifying OS to be installed at the same time.

> Creating a new partition is not a problem. Its a real pain in the ***
> having to
> buy the full version, The chances are that I will never use XP again.
> It is very handy having xp to fall back on while I am sorting out Vista
> problems (drivers etc). otherwise I could finish up with no PC.

You could get the OEM version of Vista, though it has the limitation that it
cannot be moved to another computer, there is no tech support for it, and
you cannot do an upgrade installation with it.
--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]