Opening a PROGRAM????

=?Utf-8?B?ZGlzZ3VzdGVkIHdpdGggbWljcm9zb2Z0?=

Opening a PROGRAM????
In the olden days....when I had windows me...and then windows xp, all I had
to do to open my word processor was hit the icon...my brand new POS vista OS
doesn't allow for such ####.

I CANNOT find ANY word processor in my program files. It's bad enough you
people dump that POS program WORKS on our computers when everyone knows WORD
is the better program...but now with VISTA...you don't let a person just open
GD program.

You've got all kinds of crap for pictures and music...big EFFING WHOOP. I
want to open the GD word processor. And cannot find it ANYWHERE. NO EFFING
ICON...no listing for works in the programs file...

What a POS.

SO what EFFiNG secret is there to getting to my GD word processor?????
pete

Re: Opening a PROGRAM????
Install the program..????????????
peter
"disgusted with microsoft" <disgusted with
microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the olden days....when I had windows me...and then windows xp, all I
> had
> to do to open my word processor was hit the icon...my brand new POS vista
> OS
> doesn't allow for such ####.
>
> I CANNOT find ANY word processor in my program files. It's bad enough you
> people dump that POS program WORKS on our computers when everyone knows
> WORD
> is the better program...but now with VISTA...you don't let a person just
> open
> GD program.
>
> You've got all kinds of crap for pictures and music...big EFFING WHOOP. I
> want to open the GD word processor. And cannot find it ANYWHERE. NO EFFING
> ICON...no listing for works in the programs file...
>

> What a POS.
>
> SO what EFFiNG secret is there to getting to my GD word processor?????

DP

Re: Opening a PROGRAM????

Dude! Maybe you don't have a word processor on your computer.
Not Vista's fault. Either you have to pay extra for Word or Office, or else
a computer mfgr may throw in Works for Windows for "free."

There's always Wordpad, which has pretty much been with Windows from the
beginning. Just type "Wordpad" in the search window. Or else in Start under
All Programs>Accessories.

"disgusted with microsoft" <disgusted with
microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the olden days....when I had windows me...and then windows xp, all I
> had
> to do to open my word processor was hit the icon...my brand new POS vista
> OS
> doesn't allow for such ####.
>
> I CANNOT find ANY word processor in my program files. It's bad enough you
> people dump that POS program WORKS on our computers when everyone knows
> WORD
> is the better program...but now with VISTA...you don't let a person just
> open
> GD program.
>
> You've got all kinds of crap for pictures and music...big EFFING WHOOP. I
> want to open the GD word processor. And cannot find it ANYWHERE. NO EFFING
> ICON...no listing for works in the programs file...
>

> What a POS.
>
> SO what EFFiNG secret is there to getting to my GD word processor?????

=?Utf-8?B?ZGlzZ3VzdGVkIHdpdGggbWljcm9zb2Z0?=

Re: Opening a PROGRAM????
Oh well isn't that lovely. The POS won't let me install my word2000, (claims
I need a 25-character ID, when my cert of authenticity only came with 20
characters)...and now you're telling me it doesn't even have a word processor
of its own? These idiots at Microsoft show splendid farsightedness, ey?

"DP" wrote:

> Dude! Maybe you don't have a word processor on your computer.
> Not Vista's fault. Either you have to pay extra for Word or Office, or else
> a computer mfgr may throw in Works for Windows for "free."
>
> There's always Wordpad, which has pretty much been with Windows from the
> beginning. Just type "Wordpad" in the search window. Or else in Start under
> All Programs>Accessories.
>

> "disgusted with microsoft" <disgusted with
> microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In the olden days....when I had windows me...and then windows xp, all I
> > had
> > to do to open my word processor was hit the icon...my brand new POS vista
> > OS
> > doesn't allow for such ####.
> >
> > I CANNOT find ANY word processor in my program files. It's bad enough you
> > people dump that POS program WORKS on our computers when everyone knows
> > WORD
> > is the better program...but now with VISTA...you don't let a person just
> > open
> > GD program.
> >
> > You've got all kinds of crap for pictures and music...big EFFING WHOOP. I
> > want to open the GD word processor. And cannot find it ANYWHERE. NO EFFING
> > ICON...no listing for works in the programs file...
> >

> > What a POS.
> >
> > SO what EFFiNG secret is there to getting to my GD word processor?????

DP

Re: Opening a PROGRAM????

Windows has NEVER had a "word processor of its own" other than Wordpad,
which is also in Vista, or the earlier Write program. So there's nothing
different about Vista in this regard.
If you had Word or Works on earlier computers, it's because the OEM sold
that program to you in a package deal for the computer.

> Oh well isn't that lovely. The POS won't let me install my word2000,
> (claims
> I need a 25-character ID, when my cert of authenticity only came with 20
> characters)...and now you're telling me it doesn't even have a word
> processor
> of its own? These idiots at Microsoft show splendid farsightedness, ey?
>

> "DP" wrote:
>

>> Dude! Maybe you don't have a word processor on your computer.
>> Not Vista's fault. Either you have to pay extra for Word or Office, or
>> else
>> a computer mfgr may throw in Works for Windows for "free."
>>
>> There's always Wordpad, which has pretty much been with Windows from the
>> beginning. Just type "Wordpad" in the search window. Or else in Start
>> under
>> All Programs>Accessories.
>>

>> "disgusted with microsoft" <disgusted with
>> microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In the olden days....when I had windows me...and then windows xp, all I
>> > had
>> > to do to open my word processor was hit the icon...my brand new POS
>> > vista
>> > OS
>> > doesn't allow for such ####.
>> >
>> > I CANNOT find ANY word processor in my program files. It's bad enough
>> > you
>> > people dump that POS program WORKS on our computers when everyone knows
>> > WORD
>> > is the better program...but now with VISTA...you don't let a person
>> > just
>> > open
>> > GD program.
>> >
>> > You've got all kinds of crap for pictures and music...big EFFING WHOOP.
>> > want to open the GD word processor. And cannot find it ANYWHERE. NO
>> > EFFING
>> > ICON...no listing for works in the programs file...
>> >

>> > What a POS.
>> >
>> > SO what EFFiNG secret is there to getting to my GD word processor?????

Richard G. Harper

Re: Opening a PROGRAM????
1. Microsoft Works uses Microsoft Word as its word processor.
2. Microsoft Windows never came with a word processor, you must install
one.
3. All Microsoft product keys are 25-character strings, have been for
years. If you can't find your Office 2000 product key ... sorry.

"disgusted with microsoft" <disgusted with
microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the olden days....when I had windows me...and then windows xp, all I
> had
> to do to open my word processor was hit the icon...my brand new POS vista
> OS
> doesn't allow for such ####.
>
> I CANNOT find ANY word processor in my program files. It's bad enough you
> people dump that POS program WORKS on our computers when everyone knows
> WORD
> is the better program...but now with VISTA...you don't let a person just
> open
> GD program.
>
> You've got all kinds of crap for pictures and music...big EFFING WHOOP. I
> want to open the GD word processor. And cannot find it ANYWHERE. NO EFFING
> ICON...no listing for works in the programs file...
>

> What a POS.
>
> SO what EFFiNG secret is there to getting to my GD word processor?????

Re: Opening a PROGRAM????
Works Suite uses MS Word as the word processor and doesn't create any
shortcuts for the Works WP. However Works uses Works WP. So there are two
products

Works
and
Works Suite (with encarta, Word, and some other things like Picture It on
older suites)

> 1. Microsoft Works uses Microsoft Word as its word processor.
> 2. Microsoft Windows never came with a word processor, you must install
> one.
> 3. All Microsoft product keys are 25-character strings, have been for
> years. If you can't find your Office 2000 product key ... sorry.

> "disgusted with microsoft" <disgusted with
> microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> In the olden days....when I had windows me...and then windows xp, all I
>> had
>> to do to open my word processor was hit the icon...my brand new POS vista
>> OS
>> doesn't allow for such ####.
>>
>> I CANNOT find ANY word processor in my program files. It's bad enough you
>> people dump that POS program WORKS on our computers when everyone knows
>> WORD
>> is the better program...but now with VISTA...you don't let a person just
>> open
>> GD program.
>>
>> You've got all kinds of crap for pictures and music...big EFFING WHOOP. I
>> want to open the GD word processor. And cannot find it ANYWHERE. NO
>> EFFING
>> ICON...no listing for works in the programs file...
>>

>> What a POS.
>>
>> SO what EFFiNG secret is there to getting to my GD word processor?????

Mark Bourne

Re: Opening a PROGRAM????
disgusted with microsoft wrote:
> In the olden days....when I had windows me...and then windows xp, all I had
> to do to open my word processor was hit the icon...my brand new POS vista OS
> doesn't allow for such ####.
>
> I CANNOT find ANY word processor in my program files. It's bad enough you
> people dump that POS program WORKS on our computers when everyone knows WORD
> is the better program...but now with VISTA...you don't let a person just open
> GD program.
>
> You've got all kinds of crap for pictures and music...big EFFING WHOOP. I
> want to open the GD word processor. And cannot find it ANYWHERE. NO EFFING
> ICON...no listing for works in the programs file...
>

> What a POS.
>
> SO what EFFiNG secret is there to getting to my GD word processor?????

Windows has never come with a Word Processor, either Word or Works. If
your previous computer came with one, that's because the place you
bought it from included it in the price. It seems increasingly common
for new computers to be supplied without such software, possibly to keep
the cost down, possibly because they know many people already have a
copy they can install on the new machine and don't want to pay for
another unnecessarily. It's sometimes offered as optional extras.

If you don't want to pay for Microsoft Word, you might want to check out
OpenOffice (www.openoffice.org) which is a free, open-source, suite with
similar functionality to MS Office. It is able to open and save MS
formats, usually very successfully although there can occasionally be
some incompatibility. But then you can't expect perfection from
something that's free, and it is getting better.

I do realise you've said in another post that you have Office 2000 but
have problems with the license key. I'm not sure if the license key is
the same thing as the certificate of authenticity - you might want to
try looking for a license key elsewhere on the disc or packaging. Apart
from that, I'm afraid I can't help there and hope you get it sorted. If
not, you may want to check out OpenOffice before buying a new copy of
Office. But then, if your new computer had come with Office, you would
have paid for it anyway, although admittedly not so much.

Hope I don't get lynched for mentioning open-source here... ;o)
Rock

Re: Opening a PROGRAM????
"disgusted with microsoft" <disgusted with
microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> In the olden days....when I had windows me...and then windows xp, all I
> had
> to do to open my word processor was hit the icon...my brand new POS vista
> OS
> doesn't allow for such ####.
>
> I CANNOT find ANY word processor in my program files. It's bad enough you
> people dump that POS program WORKS on our computers when everyone knows
> WORD
> is the better program...but now with VISTA...you don't let a person just
> open
> GD program.
>
> You've got all kinds of crap for pictures and music...big EFFING WHOOP. I
> want to open the GD word processor. And cannot find it ANYWHERE. NO EFFING
> ICON...no listing for works in the programs file...
>

> What a POS.
>
> SO what EFFiNG secret is there to getting to my GD word processor?????

You can't figure this out? Sounds like operator ignorance at work.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]