access denied to files folders.

=?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=

access denied to files folders.
I sign on as administartor and try to open folders and get access denied. How
do i correct this.
Richard G. Harper

Re: access denied to files folders.
What folders?

"Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I sign on as administartor and try to open folders and get access denied.
>How
> do i correct this.

Rick Rogers

Re: access denied to files folders.
Oh "My"!

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> What folders?

> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I sign on as administartor and try to open folders and get access denied.
>>How
>> do i correct this.

=?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=

Re: access denied to files folders.
allusers, Documents and settings, users/ settings/default user
cookies, apt data under don

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> What folders?

> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I sign on as administartor and try to open folders and get access denied.
> >How
> > do i correct this.

Richard G. Harper

Re: access denied to files folders.
Documents and Settings isn't a folder, it's a pointer to the Users folder.
You can't open it.

Same for All Users and Default users under the Users folder - just pointers,
won't open. Same for Application Data in any profile - just a pointer.

These are not areas for the neophyte to be poking about in. What are you
trying to accomplish?

> allusers, Documents and settings, users/ settings/default user
> cookies, apt data under don
>

> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> What folders?

>> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I sign on as administartor and try to open folders and get access
>> >denied.
>> >How
>> > do i correct this.

Rock

Re: access denied to files folders.
"Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> allusers, Documents and settings, users/ settings/default user
> cookies, apt data under don
>

> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> What folders?

>> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> >I sign on as administartor and try to open folders and get access
>> >denied.
>> >How
>> > do i correct this.

There is nothing to correct. All those folders that give an access denied
that are dimmed and have the curved arrows are junction points. All they
contain is a pointer to the actual folder where the data is stored. They
are there for compatibility with XP programs but aren't used in Vista. Look
in the actual folders they point to. To see what the actual folders are
open an elevated command prompt, navigate to the folder where these are
located and give the command
dir /al

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=

Re: access denied to files folders.
Not sure what im trying to do. just looking over system and trying to figure
out whats what. Not newbie just newbie to vista.

thanks

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Documents and Settings isn't a folder, it's a pointer to the Users folder.
> You can't open it.
>
> Same for All Users and Default users under the Users folder - just pointers,
> won't open. Same for Application Data in any profile - just a pointer.
>
> These are not areas for the neophyte to be poking about in. What are you
> trying to accomplish?

> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > allusers, Documents and settings, users/ settings/default user
> > cookies, apt data under don
> >

> > "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
> >
> >> What folders?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> >> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
> >> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> >> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> >> * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Rick Rogers

Re: access denied to files folders.
Hi Don,

What Richard is trying to point out is a change in Vista from earlier Win
versions. Those folders aren't folders, and there is nothing inside them.
They are pointers, there for backwards compatibility with older software
that expects them to be there. All they do is redirect the application to
the proper folder (for instance, "My Documents" just points to "Documents",
the real folder). They are considered system files, so access to them is
blocked on all levels to prevent anything from altering thier intended
purpose.

--

newsD616563-7F63-491C-8A86-E75E0627671B@microsoft.com...