Screen going black

=?Utf-8?B?V2VuZHk=?=

Screen going black
When I am working with Office (just installed 2007) switching between Word
and Excel files, sometimes the screen will black out. The taskbar will
relocate to the top, which you can see, and when you run the curser over the
black screen, it will sometimes show bits and pieces of the documents. I am
also using a WAVpedal, which plays digital voice files. I'm not sure why
this is happening, and the only way to make it stop is to turn off my
computer by the button on the tower.

HELP
=?Utf-8?B?Q29ubGV5?=

RE: Screen going black
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932406/en-us

"Wendy" wrote:

> When I am working with Office (just installed 2007) switching between Word
> and Excel files, sometimes the screen will black out. The taskbar will
> relocate to the top, which you can see, and when you run the curser over the
> black screen, it will sometimes show bits and pieces of the documents. I am
> also using a WAVpedal, which plays digital voice files. I'm not sure why
> this is happening, and the only way to make it stop is to turn off my
> computer by the button on the tower.
>
> HELP

=?Utf-8?B?V2VuZHk=?=

RE: Screen going black
I went to that web site, and read over it. Does this mean I have to PAY
microsoft to give me a hotfix for this problem? I just bought this computer
about 2 weeks ago. I can use the workaround, which is what I have been
doing, but come on, 4 or 5 times a day while I am trying to work. I need a
FIX.

What do all the files listed in that article mean?

Thanks.

"Conley" wrote:

> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932406/en-us
>
> "Wendy" wrote:
>
> > When I am working with Office (just installed 2007) switching between Word
> > and Excel files, sometimes the screen will black out. The taskbar will
> > relocate to the top, which you can see, and when you run the curser over the
> > black screen, it will sometimes show bits and pieces of the documents. I am
> > also using a WAVpedal, which plays digital voice files. I'm not sure why
> > this is happening, and the only way to make it stop is to turn off my
> > computer by the button on the tower.
> >
> > HELP

Rick Rogers

Re: Screen going black
Hi Wendy,

No, hotfixes are free as long as you don't ask for any other support.
Ideally, your manufacturer should supply this to you, but if not you should
still be able to get it from Microsoft PSS.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Wendy" <Wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I went to that web site, and read over it. Does this mean I have to PAY
> microsoft to give me a hotfix for this problem? I just bought this
> computer
> about 2 weeks ago. I can use the workaround, which is what I have been
> doing, but come on, 4 or 5 times a day while I am trying to work. I need
> FIX.
>
> What do all the files listed in that article mean?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Conley" wrote:
>
>> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932406/en-us
>>
>> "Wendy" wrote:
>>
>> > When I am working with Office (just installed 2007) switching between
>> > Word
>> > and Excel files, sometimes the screen will black out. The taskbar will
>> > relocate to the top, which you can see, and when you run the curser
>> > over the
>> > black screen, it will sometimes show bits and pieces of the documents.
>> > I am
>> > also using a WAVpedal, which plays digital voice files. I'm not sure
>> > why
>> > this is happening, and the only way to make it stop is to turn off my
>> > computer by the button on the tower.
>> >
>> > HELP

Re: Screen going black
Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support
calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a
specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will
apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the
specific update in question.

So it depends what you say to MS. If you say I have those specific symptoms
and want that hotfix then there are no charges.

Hotfixes haven't had extensive testing. So MS don't know what other bugs the
hotfix may cause. All they know is that it fixes a very specific propblem.
So hotfixes are restricted to only people with that problem.

If after further testing it seems not to create other problems it will be
put into a service pack (and maybe available from Windows Update).