Vista Backup

steverashi

Vista Backup

We are currnetly using Vista on a few of our machines and run a
scheduled backup every night. Is there a way to do a full backup each
night and replace the existing one rather than doing an incremental
backup. The machines that are running XP do this no problem but the
Vista machines create a new folder each time which is using a large
amount of space on the drive.

--
steverashi
Mark H

Re: Vista Backup
http://www.maximumpcguides.com/sched...ete-pc-backup/

Also, look at the second screenshot in this next article: (This is not the
task scheduler.)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...es/backup.aspx

If that little checkbox is not selected (I'm sure there is an associated
registry entry somewhere.) then all your backups will be incremental after
the first full backup. (Unless the backup is over 30 days old.) The only way
to access this checkbox is to schedule your backups through the backup
scheduling wizard.

The wbadmin command looks at the parameter (checkbox) above to determine if
a full or incremental backup is to be performed. Unfortunately, it is not
part of the wbadmin command that you can maniuplate.

~~~
Another option is to use the elevated command before performing the backup:
wbadmin delete catalog

If Vista backup does not see a catalog, it will assume a full backup is
required. (Just not sure how this will work with multiple machines backing
up to the same drive.)

"steverashi" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> We are currnetly using Vista on a few of our machines and run a
> scheduled backup every night. Is there a way to do a full backup each
> night and replace the existing one rather than doing an incremental
> backup. The machines that are running XP do this no problem but the
> Vista machines create a new folder each time which is using a large
> amount of space on the drive.
>

> --
> steverashi

TheShadow

Re: Vista Backup

Developing a foolproof backup system for any PC is a very exacting
process.
(I've been setting up backup systems for home and business for almost
30 years)

There is NO WAY you can have a good backup if it's on the same drive as
the OS.
At least two drives are required. Or, your main drive and some other
suitable media.
A backup to a second partition on the main drive is NO backup at all
when the drive squalls, balls and smokes! YES, that really does
happen!:cry:

A Second Drive is required for a really safe backup. That can be
another internal hard drive, or an external drive. It can even be a
burned Image of your OS drive, on a DVD.

But whatever the backup media, it should be able to do a full restore
to a new HD, in case that the original drive is no longer operable.

I've been using Ghost since it was first released in 1997, long before
it was purchased by Symantec. (Norton)

I can do quickie backups of my C: partition to my D: partition in just
over five minutes. That's a compressed Image File of C:. I can store
many such images on my D: drive that's four times the size of my C:
drive. (Same drive, two partitions.)

If something happens on my C: drive that a System Restore can't fix, I
do a quick "Image to Partition" Restore and in about six minutes my C:
drive is restored and I'm back in operation.

So what do I do if my main HD totally shoots craps?
WELL, once a week I do a Disk Image of C: to a DVD. Ghost puts itself
on the DVD, in the boot sector, thus making my restore DVD boot to
Ghost.
Toshiba's System Restore DVD is made this way, using Norton's Ghost.
I can boot up my system with that DVD and do my Restore, to a brand new
HD if necessary.

For many years I've repeated the saying, "The only bad backup is the
one you decided NOT to make".

If you want a FREE program to do full disk backups, the "MaxBlast" or
"SeaTools" programs are the ticket. They are almost identical and
written by "Acronis True Image" and both are available for download from
the Maxtor or Seagate web sites. I've tested both to make bootable
backups of Vista Ultimate, and they work just fine.

Good Luck,
The Shadow

--
TheShadow

A person with experience, is never at the mercy of a person with an
argument.
Mark H

Re: Vista Backup
Did you just have an urge to speak, or did this have something to do with
the OP?

"TheShadow" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Developing a foolproof backup system for any PC is a very exacting
> process.
> (I've been setting up backup systems for home and business for almost
> 30 years)
>
> There is NO WAY you can have a good backup if it's on the same drive as
> the OS.
> At least two drives are required. Or, your main drive and some other
> suitable media.
> A backup to a second partition on the main drive is NO backup at all
> when the drive squalls, balls and smokes! YES, that really does
> happen!:cry:
>
> A Second Drive is required for a really safe backup. That can be
> another internal hard drive, or an external drive. It can even be a
> burned Image of your OS drive, on a DVD.
>
> But whatever the backup media, it should be able to do a full restore
> to a new HD, in case that the original drive is no longer operable.
>
> I've been using Ghost since it was first released in 1997, long before
> it was purchased by Symantec. (Norton)
>
> I can do quickie backups of my C: partition to my D: partition in just
> over five minutes. That's a compressed Image File of C:. I can store
> many such images on my D: drive that's four times the size of my C:
> drive. (Same drive, two partitions.)
>
> If something happens on my C: drive that a System Restore can't fix, I
> do a quick "Image to Partition" Restore and in about six minutes my C:
> drive is restored and I'm back in operation.
>
> So what do I do if my main HD totally shoots craps?
> WELL, once a week I do a Disk Image of C: to a DVD. Ghost puts itself
> on the DVD, in the boot sector, thus making my restore DVD boot to
> Ghost.
> Toshiba's System Restore DVD is made this way, using Norton's Ghost.
> I can boot up my system with that DVD and do my Restore, to a brand new
> HD if necessary.
>
> For many years I've repeated the saying, "The only bad backup is the
> one you decided NOT to make".
>
> If you want a FREE program to do full disk backups, the "MaxBlast" or
> "SeaTools" programs are the ticket. They are almost identical and
> written by "Acronis True Image" and both are available for download from
> the Maxtor or Seagate web sites. I've tested both to make bootable
> backups of Vista Ultimate, and they work just fine.
>
> Good Luck,
> The Shadow
>

> --
> TheShadow
>
> A person with experience, is never at the mercy of a person with an
> argument.

James McTavish

Re: Vista Backup
"Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in news:#m3BFxN7IHA.4864
@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl:

> Did you just have an urge to speak, or did this have something to do with
> the OP?

Yea, he was explaining how to do backups better with the right tools for
the job. I use Acronis True Image instead of Ghost to do the same thing. I
keep a backup on a second HDD and an external USB HDD.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/
steverashi

Re: Vista Backup

which is then backed up to an external HD. The problem is that the Vista
backups are taking up a lot of space. The XP machines that backup
replace the existing one. The Vista machines, which we have 4, do an
incremental backup. We don't backup the entire machine just a selection
of folders.

--
steverashi
Frenchy

Re: Vista Backup
steverashi wrote:
> which is then backed up to an external HD. The problem is that the Vista
> backups are taking up a lot of space. The XP machines that backup
> replace the existing one. The Vista machines, which we have 4, do an
> incremental backup. We don't backup the entire machine just a selection
> of folders.

You have a choice in the Back-up and Restore centre to do a total
machine back-up. Then, say each night, it will add to that with any
files that have changed, so that at any stage if you need to do a full
machine store, it takes the last full back-up and all the changes into
account. As you start to run out of room, it starts deleting oldest
incremental backups but preserves the integrity of it all.

You can also set the settings to make a full and total new backup, say
every 8 weeks, and again, it will delete older backups seamlessly to
make room.

You can of course just restore a single file from the backups and you
have the piece of mind that the total machine is backed up

Frenchy