Vista Home Basic back up failure

=?Utf-8?B?U3VzYW4=?=

Vista Home Basic back up failure
I bought a new computer with Vista Home Basic installed. I now have
everything I want on it and want to do a back up, but every time I do it
fails. Here are the steps I've taken to create a back up.
1) Right click the drive I want to back up
2) click Tools tab
3) click Bacu up Now
4) click Run a file backup now
5) Click On a hard disk, CD or DVD
6) scroll to the drive where I want the backup to be put then click Next
7) untick Recovery drive - I have recovery disks and don't see the need to
run a backup of this drive

8) untick the items I don't want to back up and click next
9) it starts doing the backup stuff but almost immediately the first backup
screen re appears when I click the toolbar to the original working screen it
says it's creating a shadow until after a short time the following message
comes up:
A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
Insufficient storage available to create either shadow copy storage file or
other shadow copy data.(0x8004231F)

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Vista Home Basic back up failure
How much free space do you have on the target volume? I have seen this
particular error when a customer didn't have enough free space on the
target.

"Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a new computer with Vista Home Basic installed. I now have
> everything I want on it and want to do a back up, but every time I do it
> fails. Here are the steps I've taken to create a back up.
> 1) Right click the drive I want to back up
> 2) click Tools tab
> 3) click Bacu up Now
> 4) click Run a file backup now
> 5) Click On a hard disk, CD or DVD
> 6) scroll to the drive where I want the backup to be put then click Next
> 7) untick Recovery drive - I have recovery disks and don't see the need to
> run a backup of this drive
>
> 8) untick the items I don't want to back up and click next
> 9) it starts doing the backup stuff but almost immediately the first
> backup
> screen re appears when I click the toolbar to the original working screen
> it
> says it's creating a shadow until after a short time the following message
> comes up:
> A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
> Insufficient storage available to create either shadow copy storage file
> or
> other shadow copy data.(0x8004231F)

AJR

Re: Vista Home Basic back up failure
Keep in mind that the Backup utility included with Home Basic only provides
a "file" backup function - not a complete or application backup. As such,
and as Jill implies, the data/files can be "monstrous in size if you are not
selective..

"Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a new computer with Vista Home Basic installed. I now have
> everything I want on it and want to do a back up, but every time I do it
> fails. Here are the steps I've taken to create a back up.
> 1) Right click the drive I want to back up
> 2) click Tools tab
> 3) click Bacu up Now
> 4) click Run a file backup now
> 5) Click On a hard disk, CD or DVD
> 6) scroll to the drive where I want the backup to be put then click Next
> 7) untick Recovery drive - I have recovery disks and don't see the need to
> run a backup of this drive
>
> 8) untick the items I don't want to back up and click next
> 9) it starts doing the backup stuff but almost immediately the first
> backup
> screen re appears when I click the toolbar to the original working screen
> it
> says it's creating a shadow until after a short time the following message
> comes up:
> A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
> Insufficient storage available to create either shadow copy storage file
> or
> other shadow copy data.(0x8004231F)

=?Utf-8?B?U3VzYW4=?=

Re: Vista Home Basic back up failure
The backup drive size is 48G and the amount of info on the drive I am trying
to back up is 28 G

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> How much free space do you have on the target volume? I have seen this
> particular error when a customer didn't have enough free space on the
> target.

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I bought a new computer with Vista Home Basic installed. I now have
> > everything I want on it and want to do a back up, but every time I do it
> > fails. Here are the steps I've taken to create a back up.
> > 1) Right click the drive I want to back up
> > 2) click Tools tab
> > 3) click Bacu up Now
> > 4) click Run a file backup now
> > 5) Click On a hard disk, CD or DVD
> > 6) scroll to the drive where I want the backup to be put then click Next
> > 7) untick Recovery drive - I have recovery disks and don't see the need to
> > run a backup of this drive
> >
> > 8) untick the items I don't want to back up and click next
> > 9) it starts doing the backup stuff but almost immediately the first
> > backup
> > screen re appears when I click the toolbar to the original working screen
> > it
> > says it's creating a shadow until after a short time the following message
> > comes up:
> > A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
> > Insufficient storage available to create either shadow copy storage file
> > or
> > other shadow copy data.(0x8004231F)

=?Utf-8?B?U3VzYW4=?=

Re: Vista Home Basic back up failure
I unticked all items that might be large, all that should have remained are
some picture files and text files, no music, no video and all that is on the
drive is a total of 28 G including the operating system, so it shouldn't be
that large. Just trying to get the image files (328 MB), e-mail files and a
bunch of document files backed up plus whatever else it will back up outside
of the things like video etc.

"AJR" wrote:

> Keep in mind that the Backup utility included with Home Basic only provides
> a "file" backup function - not a complete or application backup. As such,
> and as Jill implies, the data/files can be "monstrous in size if you are not
> selective..
>
> "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I bought a new computer with Vista Home Basic installed. I now have
> > everything I want on it and want to do a back up, but every time I do it
> > fails. Here are the steps I've taken to create a back up.
> > 1) Right click the drive I want to back up
> > 2) click Tools tab
> > 3) click Bacu up Now
> > 4) click Run a file backup now
> > 5) Click On a hard disk, CD or DVD
> > 6) scroll to the drive where I want the backup to be put then click Next
> > 7) untick Recovery drive - I have recovery disks and don't see the need to
> > run a backup of this drive
> >
> > 8) untick the items I don't want to back up and click next
> > 9) it starts doing the backup stuff but almost immediately the first
> > backup
> > screen re appears when I click the toolbar to the original working screen
> > it
> > says it's creating a shadow until after a short time the following message
> > comes up:
> > A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
> > Insufficient storage available to create either shadow copy storage file
> > or
> > other shadow copy data.(0x8004231F)

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Vista Home Basic back up failure
Can you confirm how much free space is available on your 48-GB volume?

> The backup drive size is 48G and the amount of info on the drive I am
> trying
> to back up is 28 G
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> How much free space do you have on the target volume? I have seen this
>> particular error when a customer didn't have enough free space on the
>> target.

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I bought a new computer with Vista Home Basic installed. I now have
>> > everything I want on it and want to do a back up, but every time I do
>> > it
>> > fails. Here are the steps I've taken to create a back up.
>> > 1) Right click the drive I want to back up
>> > 2) click Tools tab
>> > 3) click Bacu up Now
>> > 4) click Run a file backup now
>> > 5) Click On a hard disk, CD or DVD
>> > 6) scroll to the drive where I want the backup to be put then click
>> > Next
>> > 7) untick Recovery drive - I have recovery disks and don't see the need
>> > run a backup of this drive
>> >
>> > 8) untick the items I don't want to back up and click next
>> > 9) it starts doing the backup stuff but almost immediately the first
>> > backup
>> > screen re appears when I click the toolbar to the original working
>> > screen
>> > it
>> > says it's creating a shadow until after a short time the following
>> > message
>> > comes up:
>> > A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
>> > Insufficient storage available to create either shadow copy storage
>> > file
>> > or
>> > other shadow copy data.(0x8004231F)

=?Utf-8?B?U3VzYW4=?=

Re: Vista Home Basic back up failure
There is 46.5 G free space on the drive

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Can you confirm how much free space is available on your 48-GB volume?

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The backup drive size is 48G and the amount of info on the drive I am
> > trying
> > to back up is 28 G
> >
> > "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> How much free space do you have on the target volume? I have seen this
> >> particular error when a customer didn't have enough free space on the
> >> target.
> >>
> >> --
> >> rights.
> >>
> >> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> >> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Vista Home Basic back up failure
Susan, will you contact me via email? I'd like to get some log files from
you. Remove "online" from my address and include a problem description in
your email.