Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Why patch same thing over and over and over?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2008
Shell
 

Posts: n/a
Why patch same thing over and over and over?
Windows Vista Home P, every day, all day, reminds that there is a new patch,
"Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181
- Important -24/06/2008"

I Click the "Install", it runs the gauntlet, and when all done, says there
are two new updates, and when I look, one is still Silverlight 1.0 (can't hid
from that one evenwhen visiting M$ - it's in your face), but most
importantly, KB936181 is still there, waiting to be checked and installed -
again, and again.

It's not THAT important to me to be saddled with this nasty piece of eyesore
to have it haunt me all day.

Isn't there a way to shove some bubblegum under this fix so it's fixed, or
patched, or whetever it is in a way that doing so doesn't cause grife
elsewhere?



Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2008
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Why patch same thing over and over and over?
Change your Auto updates to "Notify you when there are updates".
Click on the Icon on the taskbar when it appears, show the list of updates,
right-click on ones you don't want, agree with UAC prompt, then HIDE update.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"Shell" wrote:

> Windows Vista Home P, every day, all day, reminds that there is a new patch,
> "Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181
> - Important -24/06/2008"
>
> I Click the "Install", it runs the gauntlet, and when all done, says there
> are two new updates, and when I look, one is still Silverlight 1.0 (can't hid
> from that one evenwhen visiting M$ - it's in your face), but most
> importantly, KB936181 is still there, waiting to be checked and installed -
> again, and again.
>
> It's not THAT important to me to be saddled with this nasty piece of eyesore
> to have it haunt me all day.
>
> Isn't there a way to shove some bubblegum under this fix so it's fixed, or
> patched, or whetever it is in a way that doing so doesn't cause grife
> elsewhere?
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2008
Shell
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Why patch same thing over and over and over?
Thanks Mick - but I do want the update. Thing is, it shows up in the tray AND
at shutdown, and even though I accept it and it runs the install, it shows up
again as a needed install.

Iappreciate your tip, and may resort to it, but only after I try out
Richard's first.

And thanks for taking the time to do what you do.


"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Change your Auto updates to "Notify you when there are updates".
> Click on the Icon on the taskbar when it appears, show the list of updates,
> right-click on ones you don't want, agree with UAC prompt, then HIDE update.
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>
>
> "Shell" wrote:
>
> > Windows Vista Home P, every day, all day, reminds that there is a new patch,
> > "Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181
> > - Important -24/06/2008"
> >
> > I Click the "Install", it runs the gauntlet, and when all done, says there
> > are two new updates, and when I look, one is still Silverlight 1.0 (can't hid
> > from that one evenwhen visiting M$ - it's in your face), but most
> > importantly, KB936181 is still there, waiting to be checked and installed -
> > again, and again.
> >
> > It's not THAT important to me to be saddled with this nasty piece of eyesore
> > to have it haunt me all day.
> >
> > Isn't there a way to shove some bubblegum under this fix so it's fixed, or
> > patched, or whetever it is in a way that doing so doesn't cause grife
> > elsewhere?
> >
> >
> >

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2008
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Why patch same thing over and over and over?
Thanks for the reply; much appreciated.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"Shell" wrote:

> Thanks Mick - but I do want the update. Thing is, it shows up in the tray AND
> at shutdown, and even though I accept it and it runs the install, it shows up
> again as a needed install.
>
> Iappreciate your tip, and may resort to it, but only after I try out
> Richard's first.
>
> And thanks for taking the time to do what you do.
>
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > Change your Auto updates to "Notify you when there are updates".
> > Click on the Icon on the taskbar when it appears, show the list of updates,
> > right-click on ones you don't want, agree with UAC prompt, then HIDE update.
> > --
> > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
> >
> >
> > "Shell" wrote:
> >
> > > Windows Vista Home P, every day, all day, reminds that there is a new patch,
> > > "Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181
> > > - Important -24/06/2008"
> > >
> > > I Click the "Install", it runs the gauntlet, and when all done, says there
> > > are two new updates, and when I look, one is still Silverlight 1.0 (can't hid
> > > from that one evenwhen visiting M$ - it's in your face), but most
> > > importantly, KB936181 is still there, waiting to be checked and installed -
> > > again, and again.
> > >
> > > It's not THAT important to me to be saddled with this nasty piece of eyesore
> > > to have it haunt me all day.
> > >
> > > Isn't there a way to shove some bubblegum under this fix so it's fixed, or
> > > patched, or whetever it is in a way that doing so doesn't cause grife
> > > elsewhere?
> > >
> > >
> > >

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Patch Window is Gone: Automated Patch-Based Exploit Generation, (Fri, Apr 18th) Steve Security News 0 04-18-2008 23:00
Have your say: What?s the next big thing in IT? Paul Security News 0 08-20-2007 22:11
ANY THING YOU WANT TO KNOW **> microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 1 07-27-2007 23:41
Two OS. Same thing? =?Utf-8?B?ZnJvemVuLU1hZ21h?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-20-2007 13:28
Same thing here.. Eric D microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 01-30-2007 01:28




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:09.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120