Windows Vista SP1 - Altering Indexing options reduce boot-time?

f.w.johansson

Windows Vista SP1 - Altering Indexing options reduce boot-time?
Hi all. I have an unusual problem; When i disable the indexing service
boot-time increases from 45 sec. to 1min50? Also, responsiveness is generally
reduced after entering the OS. I encounter the same problem while altering
(not disabling) the indexing options, i.e. selecting to only index the Start
Menu for example.
Only way to restore the PC's performance is to default the indexing options
and consequently rebuild it.

My question is if this is a known problem? Most users achieve better
performance (excluding search performance) while disabling the indexing
service. What i basically need is to reduce HD activity after boot
(Indexing/Search features keeps "hammering" my HD for almost 10min) in order
to maximize battery-life.

Another question i have related to this is if there is a way of disabling
the indexing after hibernation? In other words, can i configure the PC to
only start indexing only after dead boot and not after hibernating? This
would eventually resolve my problem.

This happens on a laptop with Business SP1 installed but i get the same
results on another laptop without SP. The hardware is working correctly and
both PCs have good configurations so this is surely software related.

I thank you for your help in advance, best regards!
BillD

RE: Windows Vista SP1 - Altering Indexing options reduce boot-time?

"f.w.johansson" wrote:

> Most users achieve better
> performance while disabling the indexing
> service.

Vista indexing has no impact on performances because it runs in low I/O
priority and low CPU priority, when you're not using your computer.
Once the folders are fully indexed, usually within 1 hour, it will never run
unless you add new files or the files change. When this event occur, the
indexer will index them on the fly in a few seconds.
Disabling indexing is not recommended because the entire explorer shell
works better if an index is present.
Avatarrr

Re: Windows Vista SP1 - Altering Indexing options reduce boot-time?

For Me, Disabling The Index Service AND The Windows Search Service
Eliminated Much HD Thrashing. Also I Disabled (Unchecked) The Indexing
Option For My HD's.

Before I Did This I Tried Windows Desktop Search 4. It Took Quite A
While For The Index To Complete But, After That, Search Activity Was
Lower. It Still Thrashed At Boot ( In My Case, Restart) But It Wasn't So
Bad.

Still, It Drove Me Nuts. Hence The Disabling Of Services.

It Still Does Some Indexing Activity, E.G. My Menu Search Has Not Been
Effected And Documents Is Still Quite Fast. However, I Now Enjoy Much
Faster Access To My Desktop And Only About 4 Minutes Of Initial
Thrashing Which Doesn't Really Affect Performance During That Time.

The Other Side Of This Is That I Usually Have Some Idea Where To Start
Searching Or I Know Where Something I Want Is. It Is Very Rare That I
Have To Search The Entire Disk.

Something To Consider, Vista Does Quite A Bit Of Pending
Renames?Deletes After Most File Operations.

See Here:
C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingDeletes
C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames

--