New Drivers Available

Grasshopper

New Drivers Available
Hello,
I just solved a whole host of problems by installing a new driver for
my Verizon Wireless 5720 minicard which was marked "urgent" on the Dell
Drivers and Downloads web page. The problem is, I wasn't made aware that
this driver was available and just happened to stumble into it! Am I not
supposed to be notified about new drivers, the way I am notified about new
updates? Dell Support Center is set up to send me alerts, but I haven't
received any for a while now. Should driver notifications be sent through
these alerts, or through another method?
FYI: I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running Windows Vista.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Rick Rogers

Re: New Drivers Available
Hi,

Ask Dell, it's their software.

My rule of thumb on driver updates: If the device is working properly with
the current driver file, do not update the driver. Update only when there is
an issue with the current one that the update resolves.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Grasshopper" <Grasshopper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I just solved a whole host of problems by installing a new driver for
> my Verizon Wireless 5720 minicard which was marked "urgent" on the Dell
> Drivers and Downloads web page. The problem is, I wasn't made aware that
> this driver was available and just happened to stumble into it! Am I not
> supposed to be notified about new drivers, the way I am notified about new
> updates? Dell Support Center is set up to send me alerts, but I haven't
> received any for a while now. Should driver notifications be sent through
> these alerts, or through another method?
> FYI: I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running Windows Vista.
> Thank you in advance for your help.

Grasshopper

Re: New Drivers Available
Good point. I just always come here because all sorts of info can be found.
Thanks again.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ask Dell, it's their software.
>
> My rule of thumb on driver updates: If the device is working properly with
> the current driver file, do not update the driver. Update only when there is
> an issue with the current one that the update resolves.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Grasshopper" <Grasshopper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I just solved a whole host of problems by installing a new driver for
> > my Verizon Wireless 5720 minicard which was marked "urgent" on the Dell
> > Drivers and Downloads web page. The problem is, I wasn't made aware that
> > this driver was available and just happened to stumble into it! Am I not
> > supposed to be notified about new drivers, the way I am notified about new
> > updates? Dell Support Center is set up to send me alerts, but I haven't
> > received any for a while now. Should driver notifications be sent through
> > these alerts, or through another method?
> > FYI: I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running Windows Vista.
> > Thank you in advance for your help.

Charlie Tame

Re: New Drivers Available
Grasshopper wrote:
> Hello,
> I just solved a whole host of problems by installing a new driver for
> my Verizon Wireless 5720 minicard which was marked "urgent" on the Dell
> Drivers and Downloads web page. The problem is, I wasn't made aware that
> this driver was available and just happened to stumble into it! Am I not
> supposed to be notified about new drivers, the way I am notified about new
> updates? Dell Support Center is set up to send me alerts, but I haven't
> received any for a while now. Should driver notifications be sent through
> these alerts, or through another method?
> FYI: I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running Windows Vista.
> Thank you in advance for your help.

Hmm, usually drivers are the device maker's responsibility, so is that
actually a "Verizon" driver or something that is Dell's original
equipment and therefore their responsibility.
Dan S

Re: New Drivers Available
On Jul 20, 7:22*am, Grasshopper
<Grasshop...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> * * *I just solved a whole host of problems by installing a new driver for
> my Verizon Wireless5720minicard which was marked "urgent" on theDell
> Drivers and Downloads web page. *The problem is, I wasn't made aware that
> this driver was available and just happened to stumble into it! *Am I not
> supposed to be notified about new drivers, the way I am notified about new
> updates? *DellSupport Center is set up to send me alerts, but I haven't
> received any for a while now. *Should driver notifications be sent through
> these alerts, or through another method?
> * * *FYI: *I have aDellInspiron 1525 running Windows Vista.
> * * *Thank you in advance for your help.

What problems did this resolve?

Thanks,
Dan