CPU Activity

HuntFisher

CPU Activity
Since I started using Vista Home Premium my CPU when my computer is idle
would run at 2-3 %. Now at idle it runs at 50-60%.
What would cause this?
Brink

Re: CPU Activity

Hi HuntFisher,

I would use the Resource Monitor to see what programs and processes are
using the CPU to see if there is anything that you can close or change
settings for it. This tutorial below will show you how to if needed.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...e-monitor.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
HuntFisher

Re: CPU Activity
Thanks Shawn.
I have looked into your suggestion but I may have missed something or not
known what I was looking for. It does seem that something is running in the
background. Now I need to identify.

Mike.

"Brink" wrote:

> Hi HuntFisher,
>
> I would use the Resource Monitor to see what programs and processes are
> using the CPU to see if there is anything that you can close or change
> settings for it. This tutorial below will show you how to if needed.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...e-monitor.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>
> HuntFisher;781331 Wrote:
> > Since I started using Vista Home Premium my CPU when my computer is idle
> > would run at 2-3 %. Now at idle it runs at 50-60%.
> > What would cause this?

> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)

Brink

Re: CPU Activity

In step 5, it will have all of the programs and processes listed that
are using the CPU and by what percentage.

HuntFisher;781346 Wrote:
> Thanks Shawn.
> I have looked into your suggestion but I may have missed something or
> not
> known what I was looking for. It does seem that something is running in
> the
> background. Now I need to identify.
>
> Mike.
>
> "Brink" wrote:
> > > >

> > > Hi HuntFisher,
> > >
> > > I would use the Resource Monitor to see what programs and processes

> > are
> > > using the CPU to see if there is anything that you can close or

> > change
> > > settings for it. This tutorial below will show you how to if needed.
> > >
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...e-monitor.html
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > > Shawn

> > > idle
> > >

> > > --
> > > Brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> > > them.*
> > > '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
HuntFisher

Re: CPU Activity
Hi Shawn,
It seems to be spoolsv.exe, a Spooler Subsystem Application. Does it need
to be running? If not how do I shut it off? It's using 49% so it's the
culprit.

Mike.

"Brink" wrote:

> In step 5, it will have all of the programs and processes listed that
> are using the CPU and by what percentage.
>

> HuntFisher;781346 Wrote:
> > Thanks Shawn.
> > I have looked into your suggestion but I may have missed something or
> > not
> > known what I was looking for. It does seem that something is running in
> > the
> > background. Now I need to identify.
> >
> > Mike.

> > > are
> > > change

> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)

Brink

Re: CPU Activity

Mike,

spoolsv.exe is for the "Print Spooler" Service. If you do not have a
printer, then you can disable it in the Services window. This tutorial
will show you how to. You can also look at the guides there to see if
there are any other services you need or not to cut down on the
resources being used.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/59910-services.html

However, the spoolsv.exe can be infected by a virus or other form of
malware and cause it to use more resources than usual. I would recommend
that you run a thorough scan with a antivirus and anti-spyware (Ex:
Spybot Search & Destroy) program to be safe.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

HuntFisher;782697 Wrote:
> Hi Shawn,
> It seems to be spoolsv.exe, a Spooler Subsystem Application. Does it
> need
> to be running? If not how do I shut it off? It's using 49% so it's the
> culprit.
>
> Mike.
>
> "Brink" wrote:
> > > >

> > > In step 5, it will have all of the programs and processes listed that
> > > are using the CPU and by what percentage.

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
HuntFisher

Re: CPU Activity
I ran a scan and the Spybot and came up empty.
My CPU then started running at 98%.
I uninstalled my printer software and unplugged my printer.
I followed the tutorial you sent and dropped the printer spooler. My CPU
dropped to 3% and remained there. My PC sped up and runs great.

What should be done about bringing the printer back on line? I would like
to have it but I don't want the big slow down again.
What kills me is the PC ran great for over a year and a half normally, what
changed?

Mike

"Brink" wrote:

> Mike,
>
> spoolsv.exe is for the "Print Spooler" Service. If you do not have a
> printer, then you can disable it in the Services window. This tutorial
> will show you how to. You can also look at the guides there to see if
> there are any other services you need or not to cut down on the
> resources being used.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/59910-services.html
>
> However, the spoolsv.exe can be infected by a virus or other form of
> malware and cause it to use more resources than usual. I would recommend
> that you run a thorough scan with a antivirus and anti-spyware (Ex:
> Spybot Search & Destroy) program to be safe.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>
> HuntFisher;782697 Wrote:
> > Hi Shawn,
> > It seems to be spoolsv.exe, a Spooler Subsystem Application. Does it
> > need
> > to be running? If not how do I shut it off? It's using 49% so it's the
> > culprit.
> >
> > Mike.

> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)

Brink

Re: CPU Activity

Mike,

These items should help increase the performance of your computer. Step
20 may help with the printer after you enable the Print Spooler again.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/81...nce-vista.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
HuntFisher

Re: CPU Activity
Thanks Shawn. Lots of great stuff there.
Print Spooler is again using 48% on the CPU. Step 20 didn't apply, I didn't
have the "Automatically Search for Network Printer" option available to
uncheck.

Mike.

"Brink" wrote:

> Mike,
>
> These items should help increase the performance of your computer. Step
> 20 may help with the printer after you enable the Print Spooler again.
>

> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/81...nce-vista.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>
> HuntFisher;786490 Wrote:
> > I ran a scan and the Spybot and came up empty.
> > My CPU then started running at 98%.
> > I uninstalled my printer software and unplugged my printer.
> > I followed the tutorial you sent and dropped the printer spooler. My
> > CPU
> > dropped to 3% and remained there. My PC sped up and runs great.
> >
> > What should be done about bringing the printer back on line? I would
> > like
> > to have it but I don't want the big slow down again.
> > What kills me is the PC ran great for over a year and a half normally,
> > what
> > changed?
> >
> > Mike

> > > tutorial

> > > recommend

> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)

Brink

Re: CPU Activity

Mike,

This can also be a indication that it is a virus or trojan that could
be causing this. Run a thorough scan with your antivirus program to help
make sure your not infected. You should also scan with the free Spybot
Search & Destroy to help also. You can get it from here:

'The home of Spybot-S&D!'
(http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html)

Next, navigate to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS". You will have
to give permission before you can open the "PRINTERS" folder. Delete
anything that is in that folder. Now, uninstall and reinstall your
printer drivers.

Hope this helps,
Shawn