Repartitioning in Vista

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uc2xldnk=?=

Repartitioning in Vista
I just bought a laptop with Vista ultimate installed by Dell. I am trying to
repartition the C drive into two drives. In disk management there are
currently 4 partitions preinstalled (a Dell diagnostic [55 MB] hidden
partition, a D: [10 GB] drive with Recovery files, a C: drive [62 GB] and a
Mediadirect [2 GB] hidden drive). The disk managment allows me to Shrink the
C drive but when I try to create a new drive with the unallocated space I get
a message that "there is not enough space available on the disk to complete
this operation". I have even tried creting a smaller drive with the
unallocated space with the same message.

Any ideas what the problem is and how to fix it?

Ronald Levy, MD
rslevy@utmb.edu
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Repartitioning in Vista
Yes, I've seen this reported and have logged a bug against the error
message. What's happening is that you've already got the maximum of 4
partitions on the drive. So even though you are making room, you can't
create a 5th partition.

What kind of partitions are created on the disk? Are they all primary
partitions, or do you have 3 primaries and one extended partition with a
logical drive?

"Ronslevy" <Ronslevy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a laptop with Vista ultimate installed by Dell. I am trying
> repartition the C drive into two drives. In disk management there are
> currently 4 partitions preinstalled (a Dell diagnostic [55 MB] hidden
> partition, a D: [10 GB] drive with Recovery files, a C: drive [62 GB] and
> Mediadirect [2 GB] hidden drive). The disk managment allows me to Shrink
> the
> C drive but when I try to create a new drive with the unallocated space I
> get
> a message that "there is not enough space available on the disk to
> complete
> this operation". I have even tried creting a smaller drive with the
> unallocated space with the same message.
>
> Any ideas what the problem is and how to fix it?
>
> Ronald Levy, MD
> rslevy@utmb.edu

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uc2xldnk=?=

Re: Repartitioning in Vista
They are all primary partitions. (the 55MB is an EISA configuration, the rest
are listed as primary.

Ron

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Yes, I've seen this reported and have logged a bug against the error
> message. What's happening is that you've already got the maximum of 4
> partitions on the drive. So even though you are making room, you can't
> create a 5th partition.
>
> What kind of partitions are created on the disk? Are they all primary
> partitions, or do you have 3 primaries and one extended partition with a
> logical drive?

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Ronslevy" <Ronslevy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just bought a laptop with Vista ultimate installed by Dell. I am trying
> > repartition the C drive into two drives. In disk management there are
> > currently 4 partitions preinstalled (a Dell diagnostic [55 MB] hidden
> > partition, a D: [10 GB] drive with Recovery files, a C: drive [62 GB] and
> > Mediadirect [2 GB] hidden drive). The disk managment allows me to Shrink
> > the
> > C drive but when I try to create a new drive with the unallocated space I
> > get
> > a message that "there is not enough space available on the disk to
> > complete
> > this operation". I have even tried creting a smaller drive with the
> > unallocated space with the same message.
> >
> > Any ideas what the problem is and how to fix it?
> >
> > Ronald Levy, MD
> > rslevy@utmb.edu

AJR

Re: Repartitioning in Vista
You can have only four primary partitions - number of "logical" partitions
only restricted by the alphabet.

> They are all primary partitions. (the 55MB is an EISA configuration, the
> rest
> are listed as primary.
>
> Ron
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Yes, I've seen this reported and have logged a bug against the error
>> message. What's happening is that you've already got the maximum of 4
>> partitions on the drive. So even though you are making room, you can't
>> create a 5th partition.
>>
>> What kind of partitions are created on the disk? Are they all primary
>> partitions, or do you have 3 primaries and one extended partition with a
>> logical drive?

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Ronslevy" <Ronslevy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I just bought a laptop with Vista ultimate installed by Dell. I am
>> >trying
>> > repartition the C drive into two drives. In disk management there are
>> > currently 4 partitions preinstalled (a Dell diagnostic [55 MB] hidden
>> > partition, a D: [10 GB] drive with Recovery files, a C: drive [62 GB]
>> > and
>> > Mediadirect [2 GB] hidden drive). The disk managment allows me to
>> > Shrink
>> > the
>> > C drive but when I try to create a new drive with the unallocated space
>> > get
>> > a message that "there is not enough space available on the disk to
>> > complete
>> > this operation". I have even tried creting a smaller drive with the
>> > unallocated space with the same message.
>> >
>> > Any ideas what the problem is and how to fix it?
>> >
>> > Ronald Levy, MD
>> > rslevy@utmb.edu

=?Utf-8?B?UmljayBLaXJjaG9mZg==?=

Re: Repartitioning in Vista
To me, your only options are to totally remove all partitions, format all,
and start all over again. My new Dell came with 2 partitions. The recovery
partition is such a joke. The last Dell that I bought that came with more
than 1 partition, I redid the whole system and had only 1 partition totally.
It ran much faster and I was able to utilize the total hard drive instead of
just a portion of it. Dell started giving multiple partitions then they
heard lots of flack over it and game options on it. Had I know they are
doing it again, I never would have bought a Dell.

"AJR" wrote:

> You can have only four primary partitions - number of "logical" partitions
> only restricted by the alphabet.
>
> "Ronslevy" <Ronslevy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > They are all primary partitions. (the 55MB is an EISA configuration, the
> > rest
> > are listed as primary.
> >
> > Ron
> >
> > "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, I've seen this reported and have logged a bug against the error
> >> message. What's happening is that you've already got the maximum of 4
> >> partitions on the drive. So even though you are making room, you can't
> >> create a 5th partition.
> >>
> >> What kind of partitions are created on the disk? Are they all primary
> >> partitions, or do you have 3 primaries and one extended partition with a
> >> logical drive?
> >>
> >> --
> >> rights.
> >>
> >> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> >> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

John Barnett MVP

Re: Repartitioning in Vista
Actually with Vista you get three primary partition because when you come to
create a fourth the option is (should according to the instructions) changed
to Logical.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> You can have only four primary partitions - number of "logical" partitions
> only restricted by the alphabet.
>
> "Ronslevy" <Ronslevy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> They are all primary partitions. (the 55MB is an EISA configuration, the
>> rest
>> are listed as primary.
>>
>> Ron
>>
>> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I've seen this reported and have logged a bug against the error
>>> message. What's happening is that you've already got the maximum of 4
>>> partitions on the drive. So even though you are making room, you can't
>>> create a 5th partition.
>>>
>>> What kind of partitions are created on the disk? Are they all primary
>>> partitions, or do you have 3 primaries and one extended partition with a
>>> logical drive?
>>>
>>> --
>>> rights.
>>>
>>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit
>>> our
>>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Lee

Re: Repartitioning in Vista
"Ronslevy" <Ronslevy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> They are all primary partitions. (the 55MB is an EISA configuration, the
> rest
> are listed as primary.

www.bootitng.com BootitNG is a very solid partition and boot manager that
allows the user to have up to 255 primary partitions on a disk.

Lee

> Ron
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Yes, I've seen this reported and have logged a bug against the error
>> message. What's happening is that you've already got the maximum of 4
>> partitions on the drive. So even though you are making room, you can't
>> create a 5th partition.
>>
>> What kind of partitions are created on the disk? Are they all primary
>> partitions, or do you have 3 primaries and one extended partition with a
>> logical drive?

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Ronslevy" <Ronslevy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I just bought a laptop with Vista ultimate installed by Dell. I am
>> >trying
>> > repartition the C drive into two drives. In disk management there are
>> > currently 4 partitions preinstalled (a Dell diagnostic [55 MB] hidden
>> > partition, a D: [10 GB] drive with Recovery files, a C: drive [62 GB]
>> > and
>> > Mediadirect [2 GB] hidden drive). The disk managment allows me to
>> > Shrink
>> > the
>> > C drive but when I try to create a new drive with the unallocated space
>> > get
>> > a message that "there is not enough space available on the disk to
>> > complete
>> > this operation". I have even tried creting a smaller drive with the
>> > unallocated space with the same message.
>> >
>> > Any ideas what the problem is and how to fix it?
>> >
>> > Ronald Levy, MD
>> > rslevy@utmb.edu

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Repartitioning in Vista
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 06:54:03 -0700, Ronslevy

>I just bought a laptop with Vista ultimate installed by Dell. I am trying to
>repartition the C drive into two drives. In disk management there are
>currently 4 partitions preinstalled (a Dell diagnostic [55 MB] hidden
>partition, a D: [10 GB] drive with Recovery files, a C: drive [62 GB] and a
>Mediadirect [2 GB] hidden drive). The disk managment allows me to Shrink the
>C drive but when I try to create a new drive with the unallocated space I get
>a message that "there is not enough space available on the disk to complete
>this operation". I have even tried creting a smaller drive with the
>unallocated space with the same message.

>Any ideas what the problem is

The problem iis piggy Dell that hogs every single partition slot.
Kick 'em until they bleed, then don't stop if you're still having fun.

Explanation:

A partition is a system-level allocation of disk space for use by an
OS or system-level utility. This design allows up to 4 different OSs
to be installed on the same PC, e.g. Windows, Linux, etc.

MS OSs use two types of partitions; a primary partition that is
bootable, and an extended partition that contains one or more logical
volumes that appear to the MS OS as if they were separate partitions.

In this way, you can fully use a MS OS while still leaving two spare
partitions for other OSs to use.

Then along come morons Dell, who hog three out of four of these
partitions (as well as the disk space they consume) for their own
crap. So you can't use other OSs, and you can't even use the OS you
have installed in the way you'd want to.

It's like buying a three-bedroom house and then finding two of the
bedrooms plus the kitchen are locked and full of builder's rubble, so
you're forced to squat in a single room with hotplate and chamber pot.

Stomp on Dell until they make this problem go away, or if they tell
you to get lost, get that in writing and wave it here.

Name 'em and shame 'em, IOW...

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!