System Restore

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGNhbQ==?=

System Restore
When I click on system restore it says: "There was an unexpected error: The
filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect. (0x8007007B).
System Restore will now close.

What do I do?

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: System Restore
Is this a Gateway computer by chance?

Here is the issue and workaround (from a previous post):

There is an issue with the way Vista was imaged on some new Gateway
computers. We are working with Gateway to identify which models are
affected. If you are having this issue on a new Gateway, please respond here
with your model number.

The fix is below:

Launch SystemPropertiesProtection.exe (search for Run on the Start menu to
launch this program). Deselect the "C: Missing" checkbox and select "Local
Disk C:" to enable System Restore.

"Willcam" <Willcam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I click on system restore it says: "There was an unexpected error:
> The
> filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.
> (0x8007007B).
> System Restore will now close.
>
> What do I do?

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGNhbQ==?=

Re: System Restore
I was able to get into System Restore, but then after trying to set a restore
point, I recieved this: the write experienced a transient error. If the
backup process is retried, the error may not reoccur (0x800423F3). I tried
again, but it didn't work. I have a Gateway GM 5420.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Is this a Gateway computer by chance?
>
> Here is the issue and workaround (from a previous post):
>
> There is an issue with the way Vista was imaged on some new Gateway
> computers. We are working with Gateway to identify which models are
> affected. If you are having this issue on a new Gateway, please respond here
> with your model number.
>

> The fix is below:
>
> Launch SystemPropertiesProtection.exe (search for Run on the Start menu to
> launch this program). Deselect the "C: Missing" checkbox and select "Local
> Disk C:" to enable System Restore.

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Willcam" <Willcam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I click on system restore it says: "There was an unexpected error:
> > The
> > filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.
> > (0x8007007B).
> > System Restore will now close.
> >
> > What do I do?

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: System Restore
We are investigating this very error message with another customer. Will you
contact me via email? I'd like to get some additional log files from you.
Please remove "online" from my address.