Readyboost deletes cache on reboot

Bob

Readyboost deletes cache on reboot
Just poking around under Vista's hood and it seems that Ready Boost deletes
it's cache and reforms it when a computer is rebooted. This appears to be
normal operation for Ready Boost..I had thought that once it sets up it's
cache that it would remain rather than rebuilding it on each boot as it
takes time to build it each time.
Bob

Andy Pritchard

Re: Readyboost deletes cache on reboot
Mine does this as well, why is this?

My computer is unusable for 5 minutes after start-up whilst it updates the
readyboost drive

Andy.

"Bob" <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Just poking around under Vista's hood and it seems that Ready Boost
> deletes it's cache and reforms it when a computer is rebooted. This
> appears to be normal operation for Ready Boost..I had thought that once it
> sets up it's cache that it would remain rather than rebuilding it on each
> boot as it takes time to build it each time.
> Bob

Steve Thackery

Re: Readyboost deletes cache on reboot
Really? I don't think mine is doing that. Tell me how you know it is
reformatting and reloading, and I'll check mine.

Thanks,

Steve

Bob

"Steve Thackery" <thack@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Really? I don't think mine is doing that. Tell me how you know it is
> reformatting and reloading, and I'll check mine.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Go here:
Control Panel
System Maintenance
Performance Information and Tools
in the left pane, Advanced tools
View performance issues in event log
Microsoft/ReadyBoost /Operational

Click on the "Information" categories on the top left side and in the bottom
"General" tab it will say what operation was completed.
You will see an entry for the time at which you shutdown/rebooted that says
" A ReadyBoost cache was successfully deleted on the device (USB FLASH
DRIVE)

At your boot up time you will see an entry that reads:
"A ReadyBoost cache was successfully created on device (USB FLASH DRIVE) of
1960MB ( I'm using a 2GB flash drive so this size will vary depending on the
size of your flash drive)

Another thing I notice is this message:
"A defrag has completed. A boot plan will be calculated soon. Defrag
timestamp (UTC) :3/21/2007 5:36:03 PM "

So it appears to mean that the ReadyBoost cache is being defragged on it's
own ?
I have my computer set to defrag the hard drives once a month on the 1st so
I know this defrag is not controlled by my settings. Must be built in to
the ReadyBoost program?

Bob

Richard Urban

Re: Readyboost deletes cache on reboot
If the cache remained it would be a security hazard for corporations and
business'.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"Bob" <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Just poking around under Vista's hood and it seems that Ready Boost
> deletes it's cache and reforms it when a computer is rebooted. This
> appears to be normal operation for Ready Boost..I had thought that once it
> sets up it's cache that it would remain rather than rebuilding it on each
> boot as it takes time to build it each time.
> Bob

Bob

> If the cache remained it would be a security hazard for corporations and
> business'.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban MVP
> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>

> "Bob" <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Just poking around under Vista's hood and it seems that Ready Boost
>> deletes it's cache and reforms it when a computer is rebooted. This
>> appears to be normal operation for Ready Boost..I had thought that once
>> it sets up it's cache that it would remain rather than rebuilding it on
>> each boot as it takes time to build it each time.
>> Bob

Makes sense...I thought that the data was encrypted to prevent that from
happening.
Good info to know.
Bob

Steven Wimer

Re: Readyboost deletes cache on reboot
I'm suprised an MVP would say that when Tom Archer's Blog says this:
http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...02/615199.aspx

Q. Isn't user data on a removable device a security risk?

A: Everything that is written to the flash device is secured by ReadyBoost's
128-bit encryption, which means you don't have to worry about data security.

And Technet says:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...3/VistaKernel/

The driver encrypts each block it writes using Advanced Encryption Standard
(AES) encryption with a randomly generated per-boot session key in order to
guarantee the privacy of the data in the cache if the device is removed from
the system.

> If the cache remained it would be a security hazard for corporations and
> business'.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban MVP
> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>

> "Bob" <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Just poking around under Vista's hood and it seems that Ready Boost
>> deletes it's cache and reforms it when a computer is rebooted. This
>> appears to be normal operation for Ready Boost..I had thought that once
>> it sets up it's cache that it would remain rather than rebuilding it on
>> each boot as it takes time to build it each time.
>> Bob

Richard Urban

Re: Readyboost deletes cache on reboot
Hey! We don't have the time to read everything. The fact remains that the
cache IS deleted when you shutdown/reboot. If you shutdown and boot up into
Windows XP the cache is no longer there. All the drives space is available
for Windows XP to use.

It either adds to the encryption, or is a "real" bug - not one of the
imaginary ones that the trolls write about.

--

"Steven Wimer" <wsbsteven@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm suprised an MVP would say that when Tom Archer's Blog says this:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...02/615199.aspx
>
> Q. Isn't user data on a removable device a security risk?
>
> A: Everything that is written to the flash device is secured by
> ReadyBoost's 128-bit encryption, which means you don't have to worry about
> data security.
>
> And Technet says:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...3/VistaKernel/
>
> The driver encrypts each block it writes using Advanced Encryption
> Standard (AES) encryption with a randomly generated per-boot session key
> in order to guarantee the privacy of the data in the cache if the device
> is removed from the system.

>> If the cache remained it would be a security hazard for corporations and
>> business'.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban MVP
>> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Bob" <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> Just poking around under Vista's hood and it seems that Ready Boost
>>> deletes it's cache and reforms it when a computer is rebooted. This
>>> appears to be normal operation for Ready Boost..I had thought that once
>>> it sets up it's cache that it would remain rather than rebuilding it on
>>> each boot as it takes time to build it each time.
>>> Bob

Andy Pritchard

Re: Readyboost deletes cache on reboot
I have had a look through the registry for any obvious settings like
doNotDeleteCache=0 but to no avail. As an MVP are you able to contact an
internal support team about the issue?

Andy.

> Hey! We don't have the time to read everything. The fact remains that the
> cache IS deleted when you shutdown/reboot. If you shutdown and boot up
> into Windows XP the cache is no longer there. All the drives space is
> available for Windows XP to use.
>
> It either adds to the encryption, or is a "real" bug - not one of the
> imaginary ones that the trolls write about.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban MVP
> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>

> "Steven Wimer" <wsbsteven@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm suprised an MVP would say that when Tom Archer's Blog says this:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/arch...02/615199.aspx
>>
>> Q. Isn't user data on a removable device a security risk?
>>
>> A: Everything that is written to the flash device is secured by
>> ReadyBoost's 128-bit encryption, which means you don't have to worry
>> about data security.
>>
>> And Technet says:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...3/VistaKernel/
>>
>> The driver encrypts each block it writes using Advanced Encryption
>> Standard (AES) encryption with a randomly generated per-boot session key
>> in order to guarantee the privacy of the data in the cache if the device
>> is removed from the system.
>>

>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> If the cache remained it would be a security hazard for corporations and
>>> business'.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban MVP
>>> Microsoft Windows Shell/User

Steve Thackery

Re: Readyboost deletes cache on reboot
Bob,

Mine is definitely not doing it. I've rebooted a couple of times, and all
it shows is 'Caching was enabled for device...', followed by another entry
entitled 'Summary of ReadyBoost performance'.

Steve