Windows Explorer has stopped working.

=?Utf-8?B?VGltIFJldHRhbW1lbA==?=

Windows Explorer has stopped working.
Whenever I try to access anything controlled by windows explorer (ie
documents, computer, downloads, control panel) The window shows up blank, and
qeues the new vista spinwheel, then gives me the Windows Explorer has stopped
working message, which then gives way to the windows explorer is restarting
message. I can use everything else like applications and internet, but I
can't even open windows update or any folder for that matter.... Any
advice/help would be appreciated.
=?Utf-8?B?QnJhZGZvcmQ=?=

RE: Windows Explorer has stopped working.
I had a similar problem in a fresh install of Vista Ultimate- everytime I
tried to do anything in the GUI (Explorer), I got an error, "Windows Explorer
has stopped working"... looking for solutions, "Windows Explorer is
restarting..." It seemed that there was no end in sight.

Check the event viewer to see what is causing the error. Open the Task
Manager (CNTRL ALT DEL, start Task Manager), then from the Task Manager
program, select File-Run from the menu. Type MSCONFIG. You may have to try
these steps several times as the crashing Explorer will probably get in the
way. In my case, Explorer crashes mostly did not affect secondary apps (i.e.
Task Manager and Msconfig). In Msconfig, select the Tools tab and select
Event Viewer and click Launch. In Event Viewer, open up Applications to see
what errors you are getting.

If "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\***.db" is
causing the problem, you need to delete the *.db file in that directory. But
because Explorer is crashing, you obviously can't do this from a window. Go
back to Task Manager and type, "runas /user:[username that has administrative
rights] cmd"

You will be asked for you password. Enter it. Now browse to the directory
with the *.db files that are causing problems and delete them. They are
temporary thumbnail caches. One or more are are probably corrupt. As soon
as you delete these files, Vista should run just fine.

-Brad

"Tim Rettammel" wrote:

> Whenever I try to access anything controlled by windows explorer (ie
> documents, computer, downloads, control panel) The window shows up blank, and
> qeues the new vista spinwheel, then gives me the Windows Explorer has stopped
> working message, which then gives way to the windows explorer is restarting
> message. I can use everything else like applications and internet, but I
> can't even open windows update or any folder for that matter.... Any
> advice/help would be appreciated.

Deena P.

RE: Windows Explorer has stopped working.

I am having this same problem ("Internet Explorer has stopped working") and
I followed the directions in the response below, but did not find any error
messages to address. Now what? And is this going to keep happening? What is
heartily amusing in a painfully ironic way is that the same computer that has
this problem is now showing a message from Microsoft asking me to confirm the
e-mail address with which I signed into this website - but I can't because it
won't let me get to the website because Internet Explorer has stopped
working.

"Bradford" wrote:

> I had a similar problem in a fresh install of Vista Ultimate- everytime I
> tried to do anything in the GUI (Explorer), I got an error, "Windows Explorer
> has stopped working"... looking for solutions, "Windows Explorer is
> restarting..." It seemed that there was no end in sight.
>
> Check the event viewer to see what is causing the error. Open the Task
> Manager (CNTRL ALT DEL, start Task Manager), then from the Task Manager
> program, select File-Run from the menu. Type MSCONFIG. You may have to try
> these steps several times as the crashing Explorer will probably get in the
> way. In my case, Explorer crashes mostly did not affect secondary apps (i.e.
> Task Manager and Msconfig). In Msconfig, select the Tools tab and select
> Event Viewer and click Launch. In Event Viewer, open up Applications to see
> what errors you are getting.
>
> If "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\***.db" is
> causing the problem, you need to delete the *.db file in that directory. But
> because Explorer is crashing, you obviously can't do this from a window. Go
> back to Task Manager and type, "runas /user:[username that has administrative
> rights] cmd"
>
> You will be asked for you password. Enter it. Now browse to the directory
> with the *.db files that are causing problems and delete them. They are
> temporary thumbnail caches. One or more are are probably corrupt. As soon
> as you delete these files, Vista should run just fine.
>
> -Brad
>

> "Tim Rettammel" wrote:
>
> > Whenever I try to access anything controlled by windows explorer (ie
> > documents, computer, downloads, control panel) The window shows up blank, and
> > qeues the new vista spinwheel, then gives me the Windows Explorer has stopped
> > working message, which then gives way to the windows explorer is restarting
> > message. I can use everything else like applications and internet, but I
> > can't even open windows update or any folder for that matter.... Any
> > advice/help would be appreciated.

msnews.microsoft.com

Re: Windows Explorer has stopped working.
You are not alone but we are all alone in finding a remedy to this
problem...a temp solution is back up the directory you are viewing, delete
it and copy it back...however, it seems to be spreading...once I fix one,
another one pops up...it is frustrating and I do NOT want to reload
Vista!!!!

"Deena P." <Deena P.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]
>> directory
>> with the *.db files that are causing problems and delete them. They are
>> temporary thumbnail caches. One or more are are probably corrupt. As
>> soon
>> as you delete these files, Vista should run just fine.
>>
>> -Brad
>>

>> "Tim Rettammel" wrote:
>>
>> > Whenever I try to access anything controlled by windows explorer (ie
>> > documents, computer, downloads, control panel) The window shows up
>> > blank, and
>> > qeues the new vista spinwheel, then gives me the Windows Explorer has
>> > stopped
>> > working message, which then gives way to the windows explorer is
>> > restarting
>> > message. I can use everything else like applications and internet, but
>> > can't even open windows update or any folder for that matter.... Any

Rag

RE: Windows Explorer has stopped working.
Hi ... I have the same problem , bt its not .db error , its says " Messahe
centre ".
cud u pls help me out.

Regards
Rag

"Bradford" wrote:

> I had a similar problem in a fresh install of Vista Ultimate- everytime I
> tried to do anything in the GUI (Explorer), I got an error, "Windows Explorer
> has stopped working"... looking for solutions, "Windows Explorer is
> restarting..." It seemed that there was no end in sight.
>
> Check the event viewer to see what is causing the error. Open the Task
> Manager (CNTRL ALT DEL, start Task Manager), then from the Task Manager
> program, select File-Run from the menu. Type MSCONFIG. You may have to try
> these steps several times as the crashing Explorer will probably get in the
> way. In my case, Explorer crashes mostly did not affect secondary apps (i.e.
> Task Manager and Msconfig). In Msconfig, select the Tools tab and select
> Event Viewer and click Launch. In Event Viewer, open up Applications to see
> what errors you are getting.
>
> If "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\***.db" is
> causing the problem, you need to delete the *.db file in that directory. But
> because Explorer is crashing, you obviously can't do this from a window. Go
> back to Task Manager and type, "runas /user:[username that has administrative
> rights] cmd"
>
> You will be asked for you password. Enter it. Now browse to the directory
> with the *.db files that are causing problems and delete them. They are
> temporary thumbnail caches. One or more are are probably corrupt. As soon
> as you delete these files, Vista should run just fine.
>
> -Brad
>

> "Tim Rettammel" wrote:
>
> > Whenever I try to access anything controlled by windows explorer (ie
> > documents, computer, downloads, control panel) The window shows up blank, and
> > qeues the new vista spinwheel, then gives me the Windows Explorer has stopped
> > working message, which then gives way to the windows explorer is restarting
> > message. I can use everything else like applications and internet, but I
> > can't even open windows update or any folder for that matter.... Any
> > advice/help would be appreciated.

vista for dummies

RE: Windows Explorer has stopped working.

--
Dummies

"Tim Rettammel" wrote:

> Whenever I try to access anything controlled by windows explorer (ie
> documents, computer, downloads, control panel) The window shows up blank, and
> qeues the new vista spinwheel, then gives me the Windows Explorer has stopped
> working message, which then gives way to the windows explorer is restarting
> message. I can use everything else like applications and internet, but I
> can't even open windows update or any folder for that matter.... Any
> advice/help would be appreciated.

Joanne

RE: Windows Explorer has stopped working.
This is incredible. I am having the same problem and so are about 50-100
others (from reading these posts). There are probably thousands more out
there with the same problem that have not posted it. Obviously MS Vista (IE
specifically) has a bug not a virus. I wonder if Microsoft is reading any of
these posts. There does not seem to be a solution other than MS fixing the
bug and sending out the update.

"Tim Rettammel" wrote:

> Whenever I try to access anything controlled by windows explorer (ie
> documents, computer, downloads, control panel) The window shows up blank, and
> qeues the new vista spinwheel, then gives me the Windows Explorer has stopped
> working message, which then gives way to the windows explorer is restarting
> message. I can use everything else like applications and internet, but I
> can't even open windows update or any folder for that matter.... Any
> advice/help would be appreciated.

TaraLee

RE: Windows Explorer has stopped working.
Im having this same problem with a brand new laptop that I just bought for
college in the fall. I did everything that you had wrote to do to fix this
problem, But when I get to the even viewer there are a couple errors but I
dont know how to delete them. Any advice? Please help.

"Bradford" wrote:

> I had a similar problem in a fresh install of Vista Ultimate- everytime I
> tried to do anything in the GUI (Explorer), I got an error, "Windows Explorer
> has stopped working"... looking for solutions, "Windows Explorer is
> restarting..." It seemed that there was no end in sight.
>
> Check the event viewer to see what is causing the error. Open the Task
> Manager (CNTRL ALT DEL, start Task Manager), then from the Task Manager
> program, select File-Run from the menu. Type MSCONFIG. You may have to try
> these steps several times as the crashing Explorer will probably get in the
> way. In my case, Explorer crashes mostly did not affect secondary apps (i.e.
> Task Manager and Msconfig). In Msconfig, select the Tools tab and select
> Event Viewer and click Launch. In Event Viewer, open up Applications to see
> what errors you are getting.
>
> If "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\***.db" is
> causing the problem, you need to delete the *.db file in that directory. But
> because Explorer is crashing, you obviously can't do this from a window. Go
> back to Task Manager and type, "runas /user:[username that has administrative
> rights] cmd"
>
> You will be asked for you password. Enter it. Now browse to the directory
> with the *.db files that are causing problems and delete them. They are
> temporary thumbnail caches. One or more are are probably corrupt. As soon
> as you delete these files, Vista should run just fine.
>
> -Brad
>

> "Tim Rettammel" wrote:
>
> > Whenever I try to access anything controlled by windows explorer (ie
> > documents, computer, downloads, control panel) The window shows up blank, and
> > qeues the new vista spinwheel, then gives me the Windows Explorer has stopped
> > working message, which then gives way to the windows explorer is restarting
> > message. I can use everything else like applications and internet, but I
> > can't even open windows update or any folder for that matter.... Any
> > advice/help would be appreciated.

Umair

RE: Windows Explorer has stopped working.
Hi,

I have been having this problem from the point I installed Vista. I had
browsed through many suggestions and tried them out too but to no avail. In
the end I came up with my own solution. This may work for some or may not
work for others.

My problem was actually related to yours. Whenever I used to access any
Control Panel stuff with a Windows Explorer open I got a stop error message.
But with no Windows Explorer open I was able to open Control Panel options
just fine. It suddenly came to my mind that I should change Start Menu to
Classic and then access Control Panel and viola. No errors for now. Hope it
helps.

"Tim Rettammel" wrote:

> Whenever I try to access anything controlled by windows explorer (ie
> documents, computer, downloads, control panel) The window shows up blank, and
> qeues the new vista spinwheel, then gives me the Windows Explorer has stopped
> working message, which then gives way to the windows explorer is restarting
> message. I can use everything else like applications and internet, but I
> can't even open windows update or any folder for that matter.... Any
> advice/help would be appreciated.

Miranda

RE: Windows Explorer has stopped working.
Okay folks at Microsoft. Are you paying attention to any of these threads?
Is there a fix for this looping problem? At this point I would not recommend
Vista to anyone. I've spent hours going through these threads and have not
found a single solution to fix this problem. The Windows Explorer looping
problem is driving me crazy. I feel like shipping it to Gates and asking him
to fix it.

Please somebody help.

Miranda