Reinstalling Vista 64 Premium OEM on another Mobo

admuh

Reinstalling Vista 64 Premium OEM on another Mobo
Hiya, my motherboard has become quite unreliable and I was thinking of buying
a new one however I can't get the same model because its no longer produced.
Would my OEM license key still work on another motherboard? Thanks
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Reinstalling Vista 64 Premium OEM on another Mobo
"admuh" <admuh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hiya, my motherboard has become quite unreliable and I was thinking of
> buying
> a new one however I can't get the same model because its no longer
> produced.
> Would my OEM license key still work on another motherboard? Thanks

When activating by telephone, explain that the original motherboard crapped
out..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Mark H

Re: Reinstalling Vista 64 Premium OEM on another Mobo
Keep in mind, it is OEM.
Since the new motherboard is obviously an upgrade... (they don't make the
old one anymore)
....MS may state that you will have to purchase a new license.

They will probably give you the activation sequence with an explanation as
stated by Mike, but they don't have to give you one.

"admuh" <admuh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hiya, my motherboard has become quite unreliable and I was thinking of

buying
> a new one however I can't get the same model because its no longer

produced.
> Would my OEM license key still work on another motherboard? Thanks

Gordon

"Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Keep in mind, it is OEM.
> Since the new motherboard is obviously an upgrade... (they don't make the
> old one anymore)
> ...MS may state that you will have to purchase a new license.

And why would they do that? There's NO definition in the OEM EULA of what
constitutes a new machine....

Mark

Re: Reinstalling Vista 64 Premium OEM on another Mobo
BIOS Lock is pretty clear.

"Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Keep in mind, it is OEM.
>> Since the new motherboard is obviously an upgrade... (they don't make the
>> old one anymore)
>> ...MS may state that you will have to purchase a new license.

> And why would they do that? There's NO definition in the OEM EULA of what
> constitutes a new machine....

Mark

Re: Reinstalling Vista 64 Premium OEM on another Mobo
From MS:
"It's important that people understand the OEM EULA when it says that your
OEM Vista (XP is the same) can not be transferred to a new computer, and a
new (upgraded) motherboard is also considered a new computer."

I didn't say they would not activate. I said they have the right by their
definition not to activate.

"Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Keep in mind, it is OEM.
>> Since the new motherboard is obviously an upgrade... (they don't make the
>> old one anymore)
>> ...MS may state that you will have to purchase a new license.

> And why would they do that? There's NO definition in the OEM EULA of what
> constitutes a new machine....

Mark

Re: Reinstalling Vista 64 Premium OEM on another Mobo
One more:

http://weblog.infoworld.com/gripelin...board_rep.html

"Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Keep in mind, it is OEM.
>> Since the new motherboard is obviously an upgrade... (they don't make the
>> old one anymore)
>> ...MS may state that you will have to purchase a new license.

> And why would they do that? There's NO definition in the OEM EULA of what
> constitutes a new machine....

Gordon

"Mark" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> BIOS Lock is pretty clear.
>
> "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Keep in mind, it is OEM.
>>> Since the new motherboard is obviously an upgrade... (they don't make
>>> the
>>> old one anymore)
>>> ...MS may state that you will have to purchase a new license.

>> And why would they do that? There's NO definition in the OEM EULA of what
>> constitutes a new machine....

what has BIOS lock got to do with it? If the motherboard is upgraded, then
AFAIK a BIOS-locked version won't even install, never mind activate, and MS
won't even be involved with that...

Gordon

> From MS:
> "It's important that people understand the OEM EULA when it says that your
> OEM Vista (XP is the same) can not be transferred to a new computer, and a
> new (upgraded) motherboard is also considered a new computer."

Would you like to give an MS website link for that statement? Because I
don't think you can. MS has NEVER defined what a new computer is....

Gordon

> One more:
>
> http://weblog.infoworld.com/gripelin...board_rep.html

The System Builder's website is a password-protected website and the End
User does NOT agree to the System Builder's agreement with MS. This has been
done to death many many times.
The EULA does NOT define what a new computer is, and MS has NEVER contested
this in any court of law in any country.
The replacement of a motherboard does NOT result in the end user having to
buy a new licence. Now stop trying to spread untruths.