Performing Maintenance Tasks in VISTA

Tony V

Performing Maintenance Tasks in VISTA
I just got a new 64 bit laptop with VISTA---all of the other machine sin the
house are XP.

I usually run DISKCLEANER once a week and SCANDISK and DEFRAG once a month
on the XP machines since we have very busy family with a lot of use.

What should I be doing for the VISTA machine? Should I follow a similar
schedule? I heard that VISTA doesn't need the same level of maint as XP?

Please advise....Thanks!
Tony V
Dustin Harper

Re: Performing Maintenance Tasks in VISTA
Defrag runs on it's own schedule, by default on Wednesday nights at
midnight. It really does take care of itself for the most part. Make sure
you download anti-virus and anti-spyware and have them scan at least weekly.
That's about it, pretty much.

Another thing that you can try running weekly is CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com)
and run that. It has a file cleaner (temp files, etc.) as well as a registry
cleaner. It helps quite a bit on the systems I use it on.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...eAPostAsAnswer

"Tony V" <TonyV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just got a new 64 bit laptop with VISTA---all of the other machine sin
>the
> house are XP.
>
> I usually run DISKCLEANER once a week and SCANDISK and DEFRAG once a month
> on the XP machines since we have very busy family with a lot of use.
>
> What should I be doing for the VISTA machine? Should I follow a similar
> schedule? I heard that VISTA doesn't need the same level of maint as XP?
>
> Please advise....Thanks!
> Tony V

Ronc

Re: Performing Maintenance Tasks in VISTA
Here is what I do Sunday before bed (so as not to interfere with Wednesday's
auto-defrag, which I rescheduled for early 3 a.m. instead of midnight.):

1) Right click on the C drive to select properties and do a disk clean-up.
2)Switch to the next tab to schedule a scandisk (which is done at next
boot).
3)Reboot to complete the scandisk (adds a couple minutes to boot time).
4)Open Command window and type "sfc /scannow" (optionally you can delete or
rename the current scandisk log file first to make it easier to read the new
(rather verbose) log file. Next morning, read the command prompt window
before closing it or close it and look at the log file later. (My last sfc
took about 45 minutes.) Note: the last thing in the command window usually
says "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix
some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log". I'm hopeful that the negative
sounding statement will go away after I install SP1.