Backup in Vista Premium

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZU1jMTcwOA==?=

Backup in Vista Premium
Can anybody help me. When I try to backup my PC or my external drive I get a
error message 0x80070057 and backup failure screen. Any ideas?
--
Dave Mc
=?Utf-8?B?Z2lyYXJkaW5h?=

RE: Backup in Vista Premium
Dave,

Sorry that I can't offer actual help but I've been running into the same
problem - albeit with a 0x80040206 error. I have my machine set up to do
weekly backups and each Monday morning I end up restarting my PC to recover
from the crash that occurred overnight.

Anthony

"DaveMc1708" wrote:

> Can anybody help me. When I try to backup my PC or my external drive I get a
> error message 0x80070057 and backup failure screen. Any ideas?
> --
> Dave Mc

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZU1jMTcwOA==?=

RE: Backup in Vista Premium
Many thanks for replying. You would think Microsoft would have sorted this
out before launch
--
Dave Mc

"girardina" wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Sorry that I can't offer actual help but I've been running into the same
> problem - albeit with a 0x80040206 error. I have my machine set up to do
> weekly backups and each Monday morning I end up restarting my PC to recover
> from the crash that occurred overnight.
>
> Anthony
>
> "DaveMc1708" wrote:
>
> > Can anybody help me. When I try to backup my PC or my external drive I get a
> > error message 0x80070057 and backup failure screen. Any ideas?
> > --
> > Dave Mc

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Backup in Vista Premium
I haven't seen this error code reported yet. Can you email me a screenshot
of your Disk Management snap-in (showing disks and volumes) and zip and
email me the contents of Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup? My email address is
correct minus "online."

"DaveMc1708" <davemc1708@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Can anybody help me. When I try to backup my PC or my external drive I get
> error message 0x80070057 and backup failure screen. Any ideas?
> --
> Dave Mc

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Backup in Vista Premium
Please see my response to the previous post--if you'll send me some info, I
can look into this for you.

"girardina" <girardina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dave,
>
> Sorry that I can't offer actual help but I've been running into the same
> problem - albeit with a 0x80040206 error. I have my machine set up to do
> weekly backups and each Monday morning I end up restarting my PC to
> recover
> from the crash that occurred overnight.
>
> Anthony
>
> "DaveMc1708" wrote:
>
>> Can anybody help me. When I try to backup my PC or my external drive I
>> get a
>> error message 0x80070057 and backup failure screen. Any ideas?
>> --
>> Dave Mc

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZU1jMTcwOA==?=

Re: Backup in Vista Premium
thanks jill email sent. But as you wil see in the email asking me toi zip a
file is like giving a caveman a computer lol

dave
--
Dave Mc

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Please see my response to the previous post--if you'll send me some info, I
> can look into this for you.

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "girardina" <girardina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dave,
> >
> > Sorry that I can't offer actual help but I've been running into the same
> > problem - albeit with a 0x80040206 error. I have my machine set up to do
> > weekly backups and each Monday morning I end up restarting my PC to
> > recover
> > from the crash that occurred overnight.
> >
> > Anthony
> >
> > "DaveMc1708" wrote:
> >
> >> Can anybody help me. When I try to backup my PC or my external drive I
> >> get a
> >> error message 0x80070057 and backup failure screen. Any ideas?
> >> --
> >> Dave Mc

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Backup in Vista Premium
To close this out, we have a workaround for the problem that DaveMc
reported. This is a known bug that we are trying to get fixed for SP1. The
workaround is:

1. Click Start, click Run, type sdclt.exe, and then click Enter. (If Run is
not on your Start menu, you can type “Run” in the Search box to find it.)
2. Click the Backup Files button on the left.
3. On the right side, click the Change Backup Settings button.
4. Go through the wizard, keeping all settings the way they are until you
reach the last page.
5. On the last page, check the checkbox named Create a new full backup now
in addition to saving settings.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I haven't seen this error code reported yet. Can you email me a screenshot
>of your Disk Management snap-in (showing disks and volumes) and zip and
>email me the contents of Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup? My email address is
>correct minus "online."

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "DaveMc1708" <davemc1708@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Can anybody help me. When I try to backup my PC or my external drive I
>> get a
>> error message 0x80070057 and backup failure screen. Any ideas?
>> --
>> Dave Mc

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZU1jMTcwOA==?=

Re: Backup in Vista Premium
JUST TO THANK JILL AND THE TEAM FOR THEIR EFFORTS
--
Dave Mc

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> To close this out, we have a workaround for the problem that DaveMc
> reported. This is a known bug that we are trying to get fixed for SP1. The
> workaround is:
>
> 1. Click Start, click Run, type sdclt.exe, and then click Enter. (If Run is
> not on your Start menu, you can type “Run” in the Search box to find it.)
> 2. Click the Backup Files button on the left.
> 3. On the right side, click the Change Backup Settings button.
> 4. Go through the wizard, keeping all settings the way they are until you
> reach the last page.
> 5. On the last page, check the checkbox named Create a new full backup now
> in addition to saving settings.

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I haven't seen this error code reported yet. Can you email me a screenshot
> >of your Disk Management snap-in (showing disks and volumes) and zip and
> >email me the contents of Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup? My email address is
> >correct minus "online."
> >
> > --
> > rights.
> >
> > Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> > team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
> >

> > "DaveMc1708" <davemc1708@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >> Can anybody help me. When I try to backup my PC or my external drive I
> >> get a
> >> error message 0x80070057 and backup failure screen. Any ideas?
> >> --
> >> Dave Mc

mwebster

Re: Backup in Vista Premium
Hi Jill I am having the same problem when I try to run a backup. I have
tried the steps you outlined and I keep getting the error "File backup could
not save your automatic backup settings for the following reason: The
parameter is incorrect. (0X80070057) Pleas try again.
There is no check box and it says: Because this is your first backup,
Windows will create a new, full backup now. I select Save settings and start
backup then get the Same Windows Backup error box. I am on Vista Home
Premium Service Pack 1 version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 build 6001. I am
trying to backup to a external firewire/usb Maxtor terabyte drive.
Thanks
Mark
"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> To close this out, we have a workaround for the problem that DaveMc
> reported. This is a known bug that we are trying to get fixed for SP1. The
> workaround is:
>
> 1. Click Start, click Run, type sdclt.exe, and then click Enter. (If Run is
> not on your Start menu, you can type “Run” in the Search box to find it.)
> 2. Click the Backup Files button on the left.
> 3. On the right side, click the Change Backup Settings button.
> 4. Go through the wizard, keeping all settings the way they are until you
> reach the last page.
> 5. On the last page, check the checkbox named Create a new full backup now
> in addition to saving settings.

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I haven't seen this error code reported yet. Can you email me a screenshot
> >of your Disk Management snap-in (showing disks and volumes) and zip and
> >email me the contents of Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup? My email address is
> >correct minus "online."
> >
> > --
> > rights.
> >
> > Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> > team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
> >

> > "DaveMc1708" <davemc1708@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >> Can anybody help me. When I try to backup my PC or my external drive I
> >> get a
> >> error message 0x80070057 and backup failure screen. Any ideas?
> >> --
> >> Dave Mc

Donny Broome

Re: Backup in Vista Premium
The backup feature leaves a LOT to be desired.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/