Vista Defrag corrupts large files?

Bob

Vista Defrag corrupts large files?
I read on a forum that Vista Defrag corrupts large files. The person
posting the message used 64-bit Vista Defrag. (I use 32-bit MS Vista Home
Premium.) Has anyone heard of this before?

Is this true? Is it true for 64-bit Vista Defrag and 32-bit is okay?

Is there a Microsoft bulletin on this? I could not find a bulletin on this.

Is this a myth and I can safely use defrag all I want?

Background info: I have a AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way bigger than
I need) Acer computer (AM3100-U3201A) I purchased new February 2008 running
32-bit MS Vista Home Premium SP1 box. I check for MS auto updates very
frequently. I think it has onboard shared memory sound and video.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

DL

Re: Vista Defrag corrupts large files?
If you have winupdate set to either install or notify, there is little point
in manually checking winupdate frequently.
Nor should you install driver updates, only critical updates.

"Bob" <bobbREMOVE-CAPSus99@CAPSyaREMOVE-CAPShoo.com> wrote in message
>I read on a forum that Vista Defrag corrupts large files. The person
>posting the message used 64-bit Vista Defrag. (I use 32-bit MS Vista Home
>Premium.) Has anyone heard of this before?
>
> Is this true? Is it true for 64-bit Vista Defrag and 32-bit is okay?
>
> Is there a Microsoft bulletin on this? I could not find a bulletin on
> this.
>
> Is this a myth and I can safely use defrag all I want?
>
> Background info: I have a AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD(way bigger
> than I need) Acer computer (AM3100-U3201A) I purchased new February 2008
> running 32-bit MS Vista Home Premium SP1 box. I check for MS auto updates
> very frequently. I think it has onboard shared memory sound and video.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Bob

Benjamin

Re: Vista Defrag corrupts large files?

I use Vista 32bit Home Premium as well as XP pro and I have been
defragging both since I got them, without any problem whatsoever. Unless
your drive or file system has errors (check with chkdsk/f before the
defrag) it should not cause any problems. AFAIK, Vista's defrag is
perfectly safe to use, although I use Diskeeper 2008, which is very
reliable, performs better and has more features. Whatever defragger you
use (especially third party), always use the latest version with all the
bug fixes, and it should be okay.

Always backup your files regularly, regardless of defrag or anything
else.

I also second the poster's comment above about not updating drivers
through MS updates. I've found that it can cause problems. Once it broke
my NIC and WiFi drivers, and I had to reinstall them from the driver
disk. Stick to critical/security updates and selected optional updates.

--
Benjamin
Bob

Re: Vista Defrag corrupts large files?