Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista Constant Freeze on NEW PC

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2008
MickyB
 

Posts: n/a
Vista Constant Freeze on NEW PC
I just bought a custom-built PC from C1 Shoppingmall (www.c1com.co.nz) and
specs are as follows:

500GB Seagate HDD
2x2GB G-Skill DDR2-800 RAM
2.66GHz Wolfdale Core 2 Duo
8800gt 512mb Graphics
Vista Premium 64-bit

When I start it, it will go to the desktop, everything will run fine, then
suddenly nothing can be clicked, and soon the cursor also freezes. No chance
to Ctrl+Alt+Dlt or bring up task manager. This freeze was initially happening
after about 30 seconds, but after taking out one stick of RAM it lasts as
long as 5 minutes before freezing (may be coincidence). This started
happening before I changed any settings, the PC is still as new.

I have tried taking out the RAM and putting back in, leaving one stick out
as mentioned above, and having a look at the BIOS on startup (didn't really
know what to look for though). Made sure everything is plugged into PSU,
everything looks right, I'm truly at a loss as to why this is happening.

Oh, and freeze doesn't happen in Safe Mode, which leads me to believe it's
nothing to do with hardware and is related to Vista or drivers?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2008
locoeng
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Constant Freeze on NEW PC

I would send it back to C1 and let them pull their hair out trying to
figure out what is wrong. If you are intent on troubleshooting
yourself....

Run Memtest to rule out the memory
Update your drivers for mobo, gfx card, sound card etc.

You'll just have to start at the bottom and work your way up, but if I
just spent the money for a working PC then I would have a working PC.


--
locoeng

Vista Ultimate 32/64 bit dual boot
Gigabyte EP35 DS3R
XFX GeForce 8600GT
Corsair 520HX
G.Skill DDR II 800 X2 gigs
Seagate 120GB (IDE) X2
WD 750 (SATA)
Samsung SH203B SBO3 patched codeking
Pioneer 215L patched MCSE
NEC/Optiarc 7200S 1.06bt Liggy&Dee
Lite-On 20A1L BL06 -FB FBL EOS EOHT 6-
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2008
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Vista Constant Freeze on NEW PC
Have you checked in Device Manager to see if any of the Drivers are
questionable?
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"MickyB" wrote:

> I just bought a custom-built PC from C1 Shoppingmall (www.c1com.co.nz) and
> specs are as follows:
>
> 500GB Seagate HDD
> 2x2GB G-Skill DDR2-800 RAM
> 2.66GHz Wolfdale Core 2 Duo
> 8800gt 512mb Graphics
> Vista Premium 64-bit
>
> When I start it, it will go to the desktop, everything will run fine, then
> suddenly nothing can be clicked, and soon the cursor also freezes. No chance
> to Ctrl+Alt+Dlt or bring up task manager. This freeze was initially happening
> after about 30 seconds, but after taking out one stick of RAM it lasts as
> long as 5 minutes before freezing (may be coincidence). This started
> happening before I changed any settings, the PC is still as new.
>
> I have tried taking out the RAM and putting back in, leaving one stick out
> as mentioned above, and having a look at the BIOS on startup (didn't really
> know what to look for though). Made sure everything is plugged into PSU,
> everything looks right, I'm truly at a loss as to why this is happening.
>
> Oh, and freeze doesn't happen in Safe Mode, which leads me to believe it's
> nothing to do with hardware and is related to Vista or drivers?
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2008
DL
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Constant Freeze on NEW PC
Its new - take it back

"MickyB" <MickyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5A094E62-F750-4CA8-9612-B67E51BC1515@microsoft.com...
>I just bought a custom-built PC from C1 Shoppingmall (www.c1com.co.nz) and
> specs are as follows:
>
> 500GB Seagate HDD
> 2x2GB G-Skill DDR2-800 RAM
> 2.66GHz Wolfdale Core 2 Duo
> 8800gt 512mb Graphics
> Vista Premium 64-bit
>
> When I start it, it will go to the desktop, everything will run fine, then
> suddenly nothing can be clicked, and soon the cursor also freezes. No
> chance
> to Ctrl+Alt+Dlt or bring up task manager. This freeze was initially
> happening
> after about 30 seconds, but after taking out one stick of RAM it lasts as
> long as 5 minutes before freezing (may be coincidence). This started
> happening before I changed any settings, the PC is still as new.
>
> I have tried taking out the RAM and putting back in, leaving one stick out
> as mentioned above, and having a look at the BIOS on startup (didn't
> really
> know what to look for though). Made sure everything is plugged into PSU,
> everything looks right, I'm truly at a loss as to why this is happening.
>
> Oh, and freeze doesn't happen in Safe Mode, which leads me to believe it's
> nothing to do with hardware and is related to Vista or drivers?
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2008
Steve Thackery
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Constant Freeze on NEW PC
Don't try to fix it yourself. By doing so you will give the supplier an
excuse not to help: "Sorry sir, but you've obviously been fiddling with it."

Just take it back to them. It's their problem.

SteveT

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2008
rive0108
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Constant Freeze on NEW PC

I have had that problem on my Alienware system.
Try going to event viewer following a lockup (make sure to make note of
the time of lockup).
For me I did 3 things that fixed the problem-

1. do a full defrag through command prompt
start>accessories>right click command prompt>run as administrator
type: "defrag c: -w" (without quotations)

2. If problem still occurs check system for malware, and/or restore to
a date before issue of lockup occured.
http://www.vistax64.com/system-secur...-scanners.html

3. If all else fails then backup files, and perform a system repair as
issue may be caused by corruption of o/s. In my case I did a complete
reformat and reinstall and the problem was gone. My freeze ups were a
result of either registry corruption or file corruption. I prefer
reinstalls as opposed to repairs, but you may want to do that as a last
resort. Also perform a complete pc backup if you choose to reinstall. It
will save you hours of time if you ever need to restore again.


--
rive0108

Alienware Area-51 M5790
Vista Ultimate x64
T7600G Core2 Duo 2.33 Ghz (overclocked to 2.66 GHZ)
ATI Mobility Radeon x1900 256 MB
1920x1200 WUXGA
4GB DDR2 PC5300
HP digital Tuner express card
200 GB 7200 RPM HDD RAID 0
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-23-2008
MickyB
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Constant Freeze on NEW PC
Yeah will try that.

BTW, I did send it back and they sent it back to me claiming that it was me
who broke it. I might bring out the old "Consumers Guarantees Act".

"rive0108" wrote:

>
> I have had that problem on my Alienware system.
> Try going to event viewer following a lockup (make sure to make note of
> the time of lockup).
> For me I did 3 things that fixed the problem-
>
> 1. do a full defrag through command prompt
> start>accessories>right click command prompt>run as administrator
> type: "defrag c: -w" (without quotations)
>
> 2. If problem still occurs check system for malware, and/or restore to
> a date before issue of lockup occured.
> http://www.vistax64.com/system-secur...-scanners.html
>
> 3. If all else fails then backup files, and perform a system repair as
> issue may be caused by corruption of o/s. In my case I did a complete
> reformat and reinstall and the problem was gone. My freeze ups were a
> result of either registry corruption or file corruption. I prefer
> reinstalls as opposed to repairs, but you may want to do that as a last
> resort. Also perform a complete pc backup if you choose to reinstall. It
> will save you hours of time if you ever need to restore again.
>
>
> --
> rive0108
>
> Alienware Area-51 M5790
> Vista Ultimate x64
> T7600G Core2 Duo 2.33 Ghz (overclocked to 2.66 GHZ)
> ATI Mobility Radeon x1900 256 MB
> 1920x1200 WUXGA
> 4GB DDR2 PC5300
> HP digital Tuner express card
> 200 GB 7200 RPM HDD RAID 0
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2008
MickyB
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Constant Freeze on NEW PC
Yay! Its working! Thanks to everyone who helped here. I simply did a fresh
install of Vista and unchecked the box about installing updates and it worked
fine. It was one of the stupid vista updates that was causing it.

"MickyB" wrote:

> Yeah will try that.
>
> BTW, I did send it back and they sent it back to me claiming that it was me
> who broke it. I might bring out the old "Consumers Guarantees Act".
>
> "rive0108" wrote:
>
> >
> > I have had that problem on my Alienware system.
> > Try going to event viewer following a lockup (make sure to make note of
> > the time of lockup).
> > For me I did 3 things that fixed the problem-
> >
> > 1. do a full defrag through command prompt
> > start>accessories>right click command prompt>run as administrator
> > type: "defrag c: -w" (without quotations)
> >
> > 2. If problem still occurs check system for malware, and/or restore to
> > a date before issue of lockup occured.
> > http://www.vistax64.com/system-secur...-scanners.html
> >
> > 3. If all else fails then backup files, and perform a system repair as
> > issue may be caused by corruption of o/s. In my case I did a complete
> > reformat and reinstall and the problem was gone. My freeze ups were a
> > result of either registry corruption or file corruption. I prefer
> > reinstalls as opposed to repairs, but you may want to do that as a last
> > resort. Also perform a complete pc backup if you choose to reinstall. It
> > will save you hours of time if you ever need to restore again.
> >
> >
> > --
> > rive0108
> >
> > Alienware Area-51 M5790
> > Vista Ultimate x64
> > T7600G Core2 Duo 2.33 Ghz (overclocked to 2.66 GHZ)
> > ATI Mobility Radeon x1900 256 MB
> > 1920x1200 WUXGA
> > 4GB DDR2 PC5300
> > HP digital Tuner express card
> > 200 GB 7200 RPM HDD RAID 0
> >

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Constant BSOD Crashes on Windows Vista x64 stubbie microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 1 01-05-2008 17:29
vista cpu usage 100% constant shadowcodes microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 08-07-2007 18:27
Constant Vista Installation error's PCfixinman microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 5 05-22-2007 01:49
Constant Vista Issues! =?Utf-8?B?UmVkNTA1MA==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 03-01-2007 09:10
Constant VISTA lockups on Inspiron 9200 Laptop =?Utf-8?B?V2FycmVu?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 0 01-31-2007 17:59




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:43.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120