Vista will not reboot

codyksp

Vista will not reboot

I used to have Windows XP on this PC and I have recently replaced it
with a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

Since then my computer will no longer reboot. When I click start >
restart it will shut down like it should, then it will go to the POST
screen and from there it goes black and nothing happens (where it would
normally load windows).

I have taken out my C: drive and put it in another PC and it worked
perfectly. I have a C and D drive which are both 2 separate hard disks
and always worked fine in XP.

How can I fix this? They are both IDE. I have to now power off the PC
and power it on again to restart.

--
codyksp
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista will not reboot
Hi,

If it fails to load after the POST, and loads successfully in another
machine, then you probably have a hardware issue in that machine. It could
be incorrect timing settings, faulty memory, or some other issue such as an
address or drive conflict. If you remove the second (D disk, does it boot
ok?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"codyksp" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I used to have Windows XP on this PC and I have recently replaced it
> with a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit.
>
> Since then my computer will no longer reboot. When I click start >
> restart it will shut down like it should, then it will go to the POST
> screen and from there it goes black and nothing happens (where it would
> normally load windows).
>
> I have taken out my C: drive and put it in another PC and it worked
> perfectly. I have a C and D drive which are both 2 separate hard disks
> and always worked fine in XP.
>
> How can I fix this? They are both IDE. I have to now power off the PC
> and power it on again to restart.
>

> --
> codyksp

codyksp

Re: Vista will not reboot

It will boot up fine with 1 disk.

But when I try to reboot I get the POST, then some text flashes by
(normal) and I get a black screen again. It never turns into the loading
screen, my screen LED stays green even though it's displaying nothing
and my CPU fan starts blowing as if it was loading windows services and
tray icons at start up.

My memory works fine, I know it is not faulty. Same goes for all my
other components, I was thinking in the direction of the master/slave
settings on my IDE hard disks but they directions printed on them are
confusing, as is the fact that I have 2 IDE slots on my motherboard (1
is currently for the CD/DVD reader).

The CD/DVD reader is connected on it's own and the hard disks are
connected motherboard > hard disk 1 > hard disk 2. Which according to
the BIOS are on IDE 0 and the CD/DVD reader is on IDE 1.

--
codyksp
codyksp

Re: Vista will not reboot