Vista SP1 question

Owkmann

Vista SP1 question
My laptop, running Vista, is set to "check for updates but let me choose
whether to download and install them". I have still not downloaded, nor
have been notified, about Service Pack 1. Should I be concerned?

Thanks,

Owkmann
Mark H

Re: Vista SP1 question
Maybe it's already installed. :-)
Computer -> Properties
Does it say Vista xxx SP1?

There are certain updates that must be installed successfully prior to SP1
even being offered.
Since you have updates set to "Manual", check the list of those available
for installation and install all that are other than Optional.
Check your Install History and verify that none are currently in a "Failed"
status for installation.
If you install any, reboot.

Now check for available updates. Hopefully SP1 is there.
If not it can be manually downloaded and installed.
(Backup recommended prior to installation.)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791/

Should that fail (installing), you hopefully will be given a meaningful
error message. But, probably not.

"Owkmann" <owkmann.no@junk.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My laptop, running Vista, is set to "check for updates but let me choose
> whether to download and install them". I have still not downloaded, nor
> have been notified, about Service Pack 1. Should I be concerned?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Owkmann

skunksmash

Re: Vista SP1 question

Owkmann;752076 Wrote:
> My laptop, running Vista, is set to "check for updates but let me choose
> whether to download and install them". I have still not downloaded, nor
> have been notified, about Service Pack 1. Should I be concerned?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Owkmann

you may already have it....

control panel / system / it should state there if its SP1 or not

if not try & manually search for updates...using ''windows update''

|Filename: v744.JPG |
|Download: http://vista64.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4569|

skunksmash

E2180 @ 3.2ghz
arctic cooler pro 775
4GB gskill HZ @ 1050mhz
Asus P5K premium
160GB seagate 7200
coloursit 600w psu
PNY 8800GT 512mb
Owkmann

Re: Vista SP1 question
Control Panel > System:

Windows Vista Home Premium. No mention of SP1.

Windows Update reports "Windows is up to date". I have checked and
rechecked for updates manually, with the same result. All previous
updates in "View update history" were successful.

Should I just download the standalone version?

Thanks for your help!

Owkmann

skunksmash wrote:
> Owkmann;752076 Wrote:
>> My laptop, running Vista, is set to "check for updates but let me choose
>> whether to download and install them". I have still not downloaded, nor
>> have been notified, about Service Pack 1. Should I be concerned?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Owkmann

> you may already have it....
>
> control panel / system / it should state there if its SP1 or not
>
> if not try & manually search for updates...using ''windows update''

> |Filename: v744.JPG |
> |Download: http://vista64.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4569|

Nonny

Re: Vista SP1 question
On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:16:21 -0400, Owkmann
<owkmann.no@junk.yahoo.com> wrote:

>My laptop, running Vista, is set to "check for updates but let me choose
>whether to download and install them". I have still not downloaded, nor
>have been notified, about Service Pack 1. Should I be concerned?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Owkmann

Read this KB article. It should clear things up for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343
Ronc

Re: Vista SP1 question

"Owkmann" <owkmann.no@junk.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My laptop, running Vista, is set to "check for updates but let me choose
> whether to download and install them". I have still not downloaded, nor
> have been notified, about Service Pack 1. Should I be concerned?

I have the same problem. Microsoft doesn't like one of my drivers, but a
replacement is not yet available.
This issue is covered here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343/en-us