Vista .Tmp files

Hooter

Vista .Tmp files
I just migrated from a Win98 system to Vista Home Premium. All new hardware.
In Win98 I had to delete the .tmp files every week before I backed up.
I can't find the .tmp files in Vista. Can someone tell me where they are &
do I need to clean them out.

Thanks
Hooter

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista .Tmp files
Hi,

C:\Users\<user>\appdata\local\temp

Or just type %temp% into the start/search line and hit <enter>.

The temp folder is generally not included in system backups, as the
automated one in Vista HP does not do a full system backup but rather does a
user file backup.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Hooter" <hgibson2@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
>I just migrated from a Win98 system to Vista Home Premium. All new
>hardware.
> In Win98 I had to delete the .tmp files every week before I backed up.
> I can't find the .tmp files in Vista. Can someone tell me where they are &
> do I need to clean them out.
>
> Thanks
> Hooter

Victek

Re: Vista .Tmp files
> I just migrated from a Win98 system to Vista Home Premium. All new
> hardware.
> In Win98 I had to delete the .tmp files every week before I backed up.
> I can't find the .tmp files in Vista. Can someone tell me where they are &
> do I need to clean them out.
>
> Thanks
> Hooter

They are here:

c:\users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\temp\

To delete them just run Disk Cleanup from the General Properties tab of C:\

AJR

Re: Vista .Tmp files
Actually there are several temp file location - follow Rick's suggestion -
Run %temp%.

"Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> I just migrated from a Win98 system to Vista Home Premium. All new
>> hardware.
>> In Win98 I had to delete the .tmp files every week before I backed up.
>> I can't find the .tmp files in Vista. Can someone tell me where they are
>> & do I need to clean them out.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Hooter
>>

> They are here:
>
> c:\users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\temp\
>
> To delete them just run Disk Cleanup from the General Properties tab of
> C:\

Hooter

Re: Vista .Tmp files
Thanks to all.
There are a lot of temp files that disk clean dos not delete. %temp% allows
you to delete the rest.

> Hi,
>
> C:\Users\<user>\appdata\local\temp
>
> Or just type %temp% into the start/search line and hit <enter>.
>
> The temp folder is generally not included in system backups, as the
> automated one in Vista HP does not do a full system backup but rather does
> a user file backup.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Hooter" <hgibson2@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I just migrated from a Win98 system to Vista Home Premium. All new
>>hardware.
>> In Win98 I had to delete the .tmp files every week before I backed up.
>> I can't find the .tmp files in Vista. Can someone tell me where they are
>> & do I need to clean them out.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Hooter

Victek

Re: Vista .Tmp files
> Actually there are several temp file location - follow Rick's suggestion -
> Run %temp%.

Now I'm curious. There is a temp folder for each user account and a temp
folder in the Windows directory - are there others?

spot is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use Cclean. It clears all temp files and a lot more.
Piriform - The best software is free!
Nonny

Re: Vista .Tmp files
On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:37:29 +0100, spot
<spot.3b9esg@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>Use Cclean. It clears all temp files and a lot more.

It doesn't clean all. To get that done it's necessary to set a custom
configuration and add foldesr for it to check.

Otherwise, it's great with no custom configuration.
AJR

Re: Vista .Tmp files
In the tern %temp% the "%" indicates "temp" as place holder representing all
temp locations.