windows media player extension

ICQM Houston

windows media player extension
i was viewing some YAHOO news clips and a yellow band pops with this message:

"this website wants to run the following add-on: 'windows media player
extension' from 'microsoft corporation'. if you trust this website and the
add-on...... click here......"

now the phrase said IF YOU TRUST..... so i trusted microsoft website and the
add-on and proceeded to install the active x

here is the problem: after i "TRUSTED" and installed the active x - then
turn off my PC after watching YAHOO news clips and surfing websites, the next
time i watch YAHOO news clips - the news viewer program that YAHOO uses on
their website no longer function. it then offers something like "click here
for help" - then the help is nowhere to go - nada - nothing happens. system
restore never solve this problem - it makes it more worst after system
restrore.

disabling this add-on from the IE browser - then removing its traces from
the registry file will fully restore the YAHOO news viewer function.

comment: how can one earn any further trust from microsoft IF AFTER TRUSTING
and installed the active x control it creates headaches and frustrations?
ICG Respuesta:

RE: windows media player extension
I´m so sorry friend of mine, but what you comment is helpful for people like
me, when I saw the same message, I looked for "windows media player
extension" the first thing I saw, was your message, so, I didn´t chose
"install active X".

I´m trying to take care of my computer now, in this way:

Fisrt, i buy genuine software,
second, when I want to install some trial version program, I go to "Contact
Us" option first, and later copy the phone numbers, phisycal address, and
check the existence using Google Earth, later Partners, and check every
partner company, and if some of them are truthful so, I proceed......BUT, we
don´t expect that kind of troubles happen when you have Microsoft
Software.!!!, I´m going to try using my test computer.!!!

Thank you friend. (Sorry about my english, my own language is spanish)

"ICQM Houston" wrote:

> i was viewing some YAHOO news clips and a yellow band pops with this message:
>
> "this website wants to run the following add-on: 'windows media player
> extension' from 'microsoft corporation'. if you trust this website and the
> add-on...... click here......"
>
> now the phrase said IF YOU TRUST..... so i trusted microsoft website and the
> add-on and proceeded to install the active x
>
> here is the problem: after i "TRUSTED" and installed the active x - then
> turn off my PC after watching YAHOO news clips and surfing websites, the next
> time i watch YAHOO news clips - the news viewer program that YAHOO uses on
> their website no longer function. it then offers something like "click here
> for help" - then the help is nowhere to go - nada - nothing happens. system
> restore never solve this problem - it makes it more worst after system
> restrore.
>
> disabling this add-on from the IE browser - then removing its traces from
> the registry file will fully restore the YAHOO news viewer function.
>
> comment: how can one earn any further trust from microsoft IF AFTER TRUSTING
> and installed the active x control it creates headaches and frustrations?

ecurb

RE: windows media player extension
But the ActiveX control that you accepted was NOT from Microsoft even though
they said it was. It was from some other site you were visiting. This is a
common ploy to install spyware.

If you visit microsoft.com and try to download something by that name,
you'll find it does not exist.