Bad Pool Reader?

Korinna

Bad Pool Reader?
I am running Windows Vista Home Basic and I accidently performed a hard shut
down earlier today. Now when I boot up my computer, it will boot up and then
it will completely shutdown and restart again. When it shuts down, it gives
me a blue screen and then says "Windows has been shut down to prevernt damage
to your computer. bad_pool_reader". I can boot up in safe mode, but if I try
to boot it up regularly, then this cycle happens all over again. What do I
need to do to fix the problem (preferabbly without having to reinstall
Windows/deleting all of my information on the computer)? Thank you!
Victek

Re: Bad Pool Reader?
> I am running Windows Vista Home Basic and I accidently performed a hard
> shut
> down earlier today. Now when I boot up my computer, it will boot up and
> then
> it will completely shutdown and restart again. When it shuts down, it
> gives
> me a blue screen and then says "Windows has been shut down to prevernt
> damage
> to your computer. bad_pool_reader". I can boot up in safe mode, but if I
> try
> to boot it up regularly, then this cycle happens all over again. What do
> need to do to fix the problem (preferabbly without having to reinstall
> Windows/deleting all of my information on the computer)? Thank you!

I've only seen that error message once before. The customer opted to just
backup data and reinstall the OS so I didn't have a chance to figure it out.
Once thing I noticed when getting the data though, was the IE cache was
enormous. The accumulation of temp files in the user profile and in the
Windows temp directory was also off the charts - tens of thousands of files.
I suggest booting into safe mode and running disk cleanup (you could try
ccleaner too). Then run Check disk to fix any problems with the file system
and see if the system is able to boot normally. If you try this I'd be
interested to know the results so please post.

Korinna

Re: Bad Pool Reader?

"Victek" wrote:

> > I am running Windows Vista Home Basic and I accidently performed a hard
> > shut
> > down earlier today. Now when I boot up my computer, it will boot up and
> > then
> > it will completely shutdown and restart again. When it shuts down, it
> > gives
> > me a blue screen and then says "Windows has been shut down to prevernt
> > damage
> > to your computer. bad_pool_reader". I can boot up in safe mode, but if I
> > try
> > to boot it up regularly, then this cycle happens all over again. What do
> > need to do to fix the problem (preferabbly without having to reinstall
> > Windows/deleting all of my information on the computer)? Thank you!
> >

> I've only seen that error message once before. The customer opted to just
> backup data and reinstall the OS so I didn't have a chance to figure it out.
> Once thing I noticed when getting the data though, was the IE cache was
> enormous. The accumulation of temp files in the user profile and in the
> Windows temp directory was also off the charts - tens of thousands of files.
> I suggest booting into safe mode and running disk cleanup (you could try
> ccleaner too). Then run Check disk to fix any problems with the file system
> and see if the system is able to boot normally. If you try this I'd be
> interested to know the results so please post.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. It actually wound up making the computer run
start up slower (though from my experience that's typical anytime you run
disk checks, the first time, it boots up slower). I've been reading around
on the internet and a lot of the people who encounter "bad pool" errors are
either having problems with the memory or some other driver, but I haven't
installed anything recently. Do you have any other ideas, or should I just
reinstall?
Mick Murphy

Re: Bad Pool Reader?
Did you try doing a System Restore? It sounds like a corrupted driver.
Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System restore> take it back before
the problem.

And, did you cherck in Device Manager to see if any Hardware has problems
with Drivers?
You can do all the above in Safe mode.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Korinna" wrote:

> "Victek" wrote:
>
> > > I am running Windows Vista Home Basic and I accidently performed a hard
> > > shut
> > > down earlier today. Now when I boot up my computer, it will boot up and
> > > then
> > > it will completely shutdown and restart again. When it shuts down, it
> > > gives
> > > me a blue screen and then says "Windows has been shut down to prevernt
> > > damage
> > > to your computer. bad_pool_reader". I can boot up in safe mode, but if I
> > > try
> > > to boot it up regularly, then this cycle happens all over again. What do
> > > need to do to fix the problem (preferabbly without having to reinstall
> > > Windows/deleting all of my information on the computer)? Thank you!
> > >

> > I've only seen that error message once before. The customer opted to just
> > backup data and reinstall the OS so I didn't have a chance to figure it out.
> > Once thing I noticed when getting the data though, was the IE cache was
> > enormous. The accumulation of temp files in the user profile and in the
> > Windows temp directory was also off the charts - tens of thousands of files.
> > I suggest booting into safe mode and running disk cleanup (you could try
> > ccleaner too). Then run Check disk to fix any problems with the file system
> > and see if the system is able to boot normally. If you try this I'd be
> > interested to know the results so please post.
> >

> Unfortunately, it didn't work. It actually wound up making the computer run
> start up slower (though from my experience that's typical anytime you run
> disk checks, the first time, it boots up slower). I've been reading around
> on the internet and a lot of the people who encounter "bad pool" errors are
> either having problems with the memory or some other driver, but I haven't
> installed anything recently. Do you have any other ideas, or should I just
> reinstall?

Korinna

Re: Bad Pool Reader?
Actually, my boyfriend figured to do a system restore 5 minutes after my last
post, so it works now! Thank you both for your help!