Touchpad

EFM

Touchpad
How do you turn on the touhpad? I have a brand new Dell XPS and it was
working just fine the other day and then it just stopped working.
Malke

Re: Touchpad
EFM wrote:

> How do you turn on the touhpad? I have a brand new Dell XPS and it was
> working just fine the other day and then it just stopped working.

1. Look in your user manual. On all new Dells that I've seen so far there is
an icon on the desktop that leads to the user manual. Or look in your
Start>Programs menu.

2. If you follow the instructions for enabling the touchpad that you find in
the user manual (or on Dell's tech support website) and the touchpad still
doesn't work, contact Dell tech support immediately for repair/replacement.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Charlie42

Re: Touchpad
"EFM" <EFM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> How do you turn on the touhpad? I have a brand new Dell XPS and it
> was working just fine the other day and then it just stopped working.

First, check out the settings in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Mouse.

If there is no way to enable the touchpad there, reboot your computer and
check the mouse/touchpad settings in the BIOS. You have to hit an F-key (the
initial splash screen says which one) in order to access the BIOS settings
before Vista itself boots.

Alternatively, you can restore the system to a point in time when the
touchpad worked.

Undo changes with System Restore:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...cfdaf1033.mspx

Charlie42

Mick Murphy

RE: Touchpad
It is under Warranty.
Make sure Dell fixes it!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"EFM" wrote:

> How do you turn on the touhpad? I have a brand new Dell XPS and it was
> working just fine the other day and then it just stopped working.

Robert Hankins

Re: Touchpad
Check on your systray (lower right of your screen) and see a number of small
icons which tells you what is up and running. One of those icons is for your
touchpad. If the icon has a red X on it, it has been deactivated. Click on
that icon to open touch pad screen and activate as directed.

"EFM" <EFM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news7EB7903-0F6F-42BC-9175-D615214BF8E7@microsoft.com...
> How do you turn on the touhpad? I have a brand new Dell XPS and it was
> working just fine the other day and then it just stopped working.

Dwarf

RE: Touchpad
Hi EFM,

Assuming that your laptop is 'Dell Inspiron XPS', then the following is
taken from the owner's manual. Hope this helps.
Dwarf

"Customizing the Touch Pad and Track Stick
You can use the Mouse Properties window to disable the touch pad and track
stick or adjust their settings.
1 Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click Printers and Other
Hardware, and then click Mouse.
2 In the Mouse Properties window:
• Click the Device Select tab to disable the touch pad and track stick.
• Click the Pointer tab to adjust touch pad and track stick settings.
3 Select the desired settings and click Apply.
4 Click OK to save the settings and close the window."