Applications can't connect to the internet

Noctamid is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Applications can't connect to the internet
Hello!

Well I guess I am one of the many that also have problems connecting to the internet. I found this page a read youre posts. I can't get any webpage working, and ontop of that all programs I have that need internet access (such as Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Steam, Playonline, Hlsw, Msn, yahoo messenger and so on) don't work.

When the applications start I get an error and they shut down. And this all happened after I downloaded the latest updates via " windows update ". I installed the updates from the 14th and the 15th and since then non of the applications work and neither does the web explorer.

I hope that Mircrsoft comes out with a new update that actually fixes this soon. Because the solution of uninstalling Vista and installing XP is one I would rather avoid.
Dwarf's Avatar

Location: Doncaster, UK
Dwarf is a jewel in the roughDwarf is a jewel in the roughDwarf is a jewel in the rough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Hi Noctamid,

If you have a problem with accessing the Internet after installing the 'Patch Tuesday' updates, then you are not alone. Although I haven't had any problems with them recently, I have had in the past. The reason for the problem is because the updates generally, but not always, include new versions of the executables 'WinMail.exe' and 'iexplore.exe'. If you are using a 3rd party firewall as opposed to 'Windows Firewall' (WF), you may need to go into the configuration page of your firewall (refer to the instructions of your Internet Security software) and grant these executables access to the Internet. You may also have to do this even if you are using WF, but this is not usually necessary since WF is normally updated to take account of any changes in the above executables. You may also need, on some occasions, to grant other executables access in the same way as described above if certain other programs stop working after the updates. Since the same problem can occur under XP as well as Vista, the solution is the same, and your "solution" is a non-starter.
Dwarf

Last edited by Dwarf : 06-15-2008 at 21:54.

Noctamid is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I searched through a couple of options and found one with the winsock method.

So I ran the CMD.exe with admin rights and wrote "netsh winsock reset" and restarted my computer.

that worked for me and everything seems to work in order now