Recovery Drive

goodtimez

Recovery Drive
I need some help! I have a inspiron 530s computer, it has two hard disk
drives. The os (c drive and the recovery (ddrive. The os drive is only
about 25% full but the recovery drive is 99% full. It keeps telling me my
backup failed that i need to free up space, but i don't know what to do or
what to delete...... Could some one help me out?

Malke

Re: Recovery Drive
goodtimez wrote:

> I need some help! I have a inspiron 530s computer, it has two hard disk
> drives. The os (c drive and the recovery (ddrive. The os drive is only
> about 25% full but the recovery drive is 99% full. It keeps telling me my
> backup failed that i need to free up space, but i don't know what to do
> or what to delete...... Could some one help me out?

The D: drive holds a Dell recovery image. Nothing should be on that drive,
which is purposely small, except the recovery image. Remove anything you've
put on that drive - carefully! don't touch the recovery image or any
related files - and store it on external media. Do not use the D: drive for
your backups. Purchase an external hard drive instead.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
potts

RE: Recovery Drive

"goodtimez" wrote:

> I need some help! I have a inspiron 530s computer, it has two hard disk
> drives. The os (c drive and the recovery (ddrive. The os drive is only
> about 25% full but the recovery drive is 99% full. It keeps telling me my
> backup failed that i need to free up space, but i don't know what to do or
> what to delete...... Could some one help me out?

azinky

Re: Recovery Drive
I am having the same problems as goodtimez. I tried to clear the recovery d ,
but honestly I am not sure what to delete. My pc is now shuting down on its
own and when it comes back on, the updates try to install but fail. I click
on the icon on the bottom right hand of the screen, all that comes up is the
recycle bin which is empty. I have even tried a new restore point, no luck
there. I really need to know what to do to get my pc back to running and
working properly. Please HELP.

"Malke" wrote:

> goodtimez wrote:
>
> > I need some help! I have a inspiron 530s computer, it has two hard disk
> > drives. The os (c drive and the recovery (ddrive. The os drive is only
> > about 25% full but the recovery drive is 99% full. It keeps telling me my
> > backup failed that i need to free up space, but i don't know what to do
> > or what to delete...... Could some one help me out?

> The D: drive holds a Dell recovery image. Nothing should be on that drive,
> which is purposely small, except the recovery image. Remove anything you've
> put on that drive - carefully! don't touch the recovery image or any
> related files - and store it on external media. Do not use the D: drive for
> your backups. Purchase an external hard drive instead.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Gordon

Re: Recovery Drive
"azinky" <azinky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same problems as goodtimez. I tried to clear the recovery d
>,
> but honestly I am not sure what to delete. My pc is now shuting down on
> its
> own and when it comes back on, the updates try to install but fail. I
> click
> on the icon on the bottom right hand of the screen, all that comes up is
> the
> recycle bin which is empty. I have even tried a new restore point, no
> luck
> there. I really need to know what to do to get my pc back to running and
> working properly. Please HELP.

Sounds like a good time to save all your data onto an external storage
device (including your Favorites - many people forget those) and initiate a
restore to Factory-Gate settings....

AJR

Re: Recovery Drive
You not -repeat do not - send data or backup to the recovery partition/disk.
It's purpose is to restore the computer to it's oringial state and is
small - usually about nine gigs in size.

At one time the majority of manufacturers hid the recovery drive to prevent
loss or attempts to use it for storage. Most now provide a utility to copy
the recovery partition to removeable media and "reclaim" the space.

"potts" <potts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "goodtimez" wrote:
>
>> I need some help! I have a inspiron 530s computer, it has two hard disk
>> drives. The os (c drive and the recovery (ddrive. The os drive is
>> only
>> about 25% full but the recovery drive is 99% full. It keeps telling me my
>> backup failed that i need to free up space, but i don't know what to do
>> or
>> what to delete...... Could some one help me out?

kellver

Re: Recovery Drive

Um, I have this friend, who formatted his D recovery drive so it is
completely empty now. What a clown! Could you inform me how, so I can
tell my "friend" how to make his D drive back the way it was supposed to
be?

--
kellver
Questor

Re: Recovery Drive
--->
> Um, I have this friend, who formatted his D recovery drive so it is
> completely empty now. What a clown! Could you inform me how, so I can
> tell my "friend" how to make his D drive back the way it was supposed to
> be?

Without sending it IMMEDIATELY to a professional disk recovery company
I'd say bye-bye to the files on the recovery partition. If anything has
been written to it after the format, the data is gone - permanently -
and cannot be rocovered.

Questor
DL

Re: Recovery Drive
By contacting the PC maker & requesting copies of the recovery disks