Vista add-on's

George

Vista add-on's
Hi all can anyone tell me how to turn off all those annoying window's needs
permission boxes that i have to click continue on. They have got to be the
most annoying thing microsoft have ever made. Thanks guy's
Brink

Re: Vista add-on's

George;747602 Wrote:
> Hi all can anyone tell me how to turn off all those annoying window's
> needs
> permission boxes that i have to click continue on. They have got to be
> the
> most annoying thing microsoft have ever made. Thanks guy's

Hi George,

You have three options that you can do. Option 1 is allows the most
security still.

1. Elevate the administrator accounts so that they will not be bugged
by UAC and still have UAC turned on.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/80...ege-level.html

2. Turn UAC off.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/48...ntrol-uac.html

3. Enable the built-in Administrator account and use it when you do not
want to be bugged by UAC. This will allow UAC to still be turned on for
the other accounts to.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...r-account.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
George

Re: Vista add-on's
Hi shawn thanks for your help i elevated the account and it is perfect. Also
done it on my other 3 comps Thanks a lot . George

"Brink" wrote:

> George;747602 Wrote:
> > Hi all can anyone tell me how to turn off all those annoying window's
> > needs
> > permission boxes that i have to click continue on. They have got to be
> > the
> > most annoying thing microsoft have ever made. Thanks guy's

> Hi George,
>
> You have three options that you can do. Option 1 is allows the most
> security still.
>
> 1. Elevate the administrator accounts so that they will not be bugged
> by UAC and still have UAC turned on.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/80...ege-level.html
>

> 2. Turn UAC off.
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/48...ntrol-uac.html
>

> 3. Enable the built-in Administrator account and use it when you do not
> want to be bugged by UAC. This will allow UAC to still be turned on for
> the other accounts to.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...r-account.html
>

> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)

Nonny

Re: Vista add-on's
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 05:59:01 -0700, George
<George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi all can anyone tell me how to turn off all those annoying window's needs
>permission boxes that i have to click continue on. They have got to be the
>most annoying thing microsoft have ever made. Thanks guy's

Are you talking about the popup dialog boxes when you try to run or
install a program, or the almost equally annoying things IE does when
you try to access a site or download a file?
Brink

Re: Vista add-on's

George;747749 Wrote:
> Hi shawn thanks for your help i elevated the account and it is perfect.
> Also
> done it on my other 3 comps Thanks a lot . George

> > > window's
> > > be
> > >
> > > Hi George,
> > >
> > > You have three options that you can do. Option 1 is allows the

> > most
> > > security still.
> > >
> > > 1. Elevate the administrator accounts so that they will not be

> > bugged
> > > by UAC and still have UAC turned on.
> > >
> > > 'User Account Control (UAC) - Elevate Privilege Level - Vista

> > Forums'
> > (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/80...ege-level.html)
> > >

> > > 2. Turn UAC off.
> > > 'User Account Control (UAC) - Vista Forums'

> > (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/48...ntrol-uac.html)
> > >

> > > 3. Enable the built-in Administrator account and use it when you

> > do not
> > > want to be bugged by UAC. This will allow UAC to still be turned

> > on for
> > > the other accounts to.
> > >
> > > 'Administrator Account - Vista Forums'

> > (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...r-account.html)
> > >

> > > Hope this helps,
> > > Shawn
> > >

> > > --
> > > Brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> > > them.*
> > > '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*

Your welcome George.

Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Mick Murphy

Re: Vista add-on's
You're the annoying thing here!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Nonny" wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 05:59:01 -0700, George
> <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi all can anyone tell me how to turn off all those annoying window's needs
> >permission boxes that i have to click continue on. They have got to be the
> >most annoying thing microsoft have ever made. Thanks guy's

> Are you talking about the popup dialog boxes when you try to run or
> install a program, or the almost equally annoying things IE does when
> you try to access a site or download a file?

Nonny

Re: Vista add-on's
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 13:56:01 -0700, Mick Murphy
<MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>You're the annoying thing here!
>--
>Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

You are the answer to my dreams: a drunken stalker with Internet
access.

>"Nonny" wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 05:59:01 -0700, George
>> <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi all can anyone tell me how to turn off all those annoying window's needs
>> >permission boxes that i have to click continue on. They have got to be the
>> >most annoying thing microsoft have ever made. Thanks guy's

>> Are you talking about the popup dialog boxes when you try to run or
>> install a program, or the almost equally annoying things IE does when
>> you try to access a site or download a file?

SG

Re: Vista add-on's
"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi shawn thanks for your help i elevated the account and it is perfect.
> Also
> done it on my other 3 comps Thanks a lot . George
>
> "Brink" wrote:
>

>> George;747602 Wrote:
>> > Hi all can anyone tell me how to turn off all those annoying window's
>> > needs
>> > permission boxes that i have to click continue on. They have got to be
>> > the
>> > most annoying thing microsoft have ever made. Thanks guy's

>> Hi George,
>>
>> You have three options that you can do. Option 1 is allows the most
>> security still.
>>
>> 1. Elevate the administrator accounts so that they will not be bugged
>> by UAC and still have UAC turned on.
>>
>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/80...ege-level.html
>>

>> 2. Turn UAC off.
>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/48...ntrol-uac.html
>>

>> 3. Enable the built-in Administrator account and use it when you do not
>> want to be bugged by UAC. This will allow UAC to still be turned on for
>> the other accounts to.
>>
>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...r-account.html
>>

>> Hope this helps,
>> Shawn
>>

>> --
>> Brink
>>
>> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
>> them.*
>> '*VISTA FORUMS*' (http://www.vistax64.com)
>> *Please post feedback to help others.*

George,

Just For Your Information I'd suggest reading over this written by Ronnie
Vernon-MS MVP
UAC can be a little annoying, but it's there and for good reasons.

QUOTE:"Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:8MOdnY5hI8aWaHvanZ2dnUVZ_gKdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Ronnie
> Even with the prompt enabled it still requires the user to be
> knowledgeable of the application UAC is prompting about. Once elevation is
> allowed UAC does not protect the user. Clicking allow becomes nothing more
> than an annoying additional click which in many cases becomes automatic.

It it only annoying until you run into something unexpected. Right after
Vista was first released, we went through all of the debates about users
getting to the point where clicking on the prompt became an 'automatic'
response.

One user told us about a utility that he downloaded and installed and he got
the expected 'security warning' about the file not having a digital
signature. He clicked to run the file anyway and the utility installed. He
then got a message to 'click here' to configure your personal settings. He
then received this prompt.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...UACPrompt2.jpg

Without UAC, he never would have been aware of the second file being
installed, since he had already permitted the program to run. Needless to
say, he decided that he would leave UAC on.

> Additionally, the most common way a PC becomes infected is by downloading
> something from the net and even with the UAC prompts disabled you still
> receive a security warning when you attempt a download.

Only in specific instances, such as an installation file that does not have
a digital signature attached. The security warning does nothing to protect
against 'drive-by' downloads that run automatically. Most of the smaller
software developers will not bother with a digital signature, simply because
it is time consuming and expensive for them.

> Personally, when I decide to run something I don't have a need to be asked
> to confirm it. If I didn't want to run it I would not have clicked on it
> in the first place.

It's not about you deciding to run a program, it's about 'isolation', it's
about 'integrity levels', it's about what background actions the program
will take when you do run it. Have you ever wondered why an application,
that does nothing more than make images look better, needs full and
unrestricted access to every part of your computer?

> The bottom line is UAC does no more than protect the user from himself,
> and even that still requires the user to be knowledgeable.

This is the whole point of UAC. The only way that a malicious program can be
installed is if the user gets complacent and stops paying attention to what
they are doing.

When Vista is first installed, a user will typically see a ton of UAC
prompts as they install all of their software programs and utilities, but
these will gradually become more rare. Windows has to overcome almost twenty
years of being a 'push button' operating system before it will attain any
semblance of a 'secure' operating system. The education of users as well as
developers will take some time. UAC and other security 'hardening'
procedures are not going to 'go away'.

When the majority of developers see the benefits, and start following the
Microsoft developer guidelines for coding their programs and applications to
run in a 'least user privilege' environment, UAC will become a prompt that
is rarely seen. The vast majority of windows software should not even need
to initiate a UAC prompt.

Take a few minutes to read the following article. It will give you a better
understanding, and show you the underlying reasons and goals of UAC.

The Long-Term Impact of User Account Control:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../cc137811.aspx

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in
> messagenews:3F04A9A8-EC21-412D-9ED2-3386B2E653BB@microsoft.com...
>> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> All of that nonsense can be eliminated by running UAC in “quiet” mode.

>> This is a fallacy! If UAC cannot notify the user that a program is trying
>> to gain global access to the system, then it is effectively 'disabled'.
>> This so called 'quite mode' setting just changes a UAC registry setting
>> to 'automatically elevate everything without prompting'. This means that
>> when you click to open a file, it is 'assumed' that you already know that
>> the file will have unrestricted access to your computer.
>>
>> The main thing that UAC does is to detect when a program or application
>> tries to access restricted parts of the system or registry that requires
>> administrator privileges. When a program does this, UAC will prompt the
>> user for administrative elevation. Without this prompt, UAC cannot warn
>> the user, which means that it is effectively disabled.
>>
>> Some people will tell you that using "quiet mode" will still let IE run
>> in protected mode, but this just isn't true. Without the UAC prompt, a
>> malicious file that runs from a website can run, without restrictions,
>> and silently.
>>
>> Another issue is that with UAC prompt disabled, some legitimate
>> procedures will just silently fail to work properly, with no
>> notification, if you are logged on with a Standard User account, since
>> the application cannot notify you that administrative privileges are
>> required.
>>
>> Even the developer of the TweakUAC utility includes this statement about
>> his product.
>> "if you are an experienced user and have some understanding of how to
>> manage your Windows settings properly, you can safely use the quiet mode
>> of UAC." In my opinion, if you are an experienced user, the last thing
>> you would want to do is turn off the UAC notification.
>>
>> If you 'are' an experienced user, then you would already know how to
>> temporarily bypass the UAC prompt to perform just about any procedure in
>> Vista, such as running programs from an elevated command prompt, or using
>> an elevated instance of windows explorer.
>>
>> The last problem I have with this so-called 'quiet mode' is that it
>> dissuades developers from programming their applications to run in a
>> least user privilege environment.
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience

END QUOTE

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
Want to keep up with the latest news from MS?
http://news.google.com/nwshp?tab=wn&ned=us&topic=t
Just type in Microsoft