Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Urgent help needed

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
msbock
 

Posts: n/a
Urgent help needed
My windows xp that I have had for about 2 years suddenly started to shut down
and restart on its own. Out of the blue, over and over. Boots up shuts down,
Boots up shuts down. I use it for my business payroll and bill paying. When I
do get it to stay on for a couple minutes I have to restart my active desk
top. I have tried defrag and cleaning it up. Checked all my plugs and tried
everything I can think of. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
Nonny
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Urgent help needed
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:27:00 -0700, msbock
<msbock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My windows xp that I have had for about 2 years suddenly started to shut down
>and restart on its own. Out of the blue, over and over. Boots up shuts down,
>Boots up shuts down. I use it for my business payroll and bill paying. When I
>do get it to stay on for a couple minutes I have to restart my active desk
>top. I have tried defrag and cleaning it up. Checked all my plugs and tried
>everything I can think of. Any suggestions?


Just ONE: post your question to an XP group. This is for Vista.

microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
msbock
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Urgent help needed


"Nonny" wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:27:00 -0700, msbock
> <msbock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >My windows xp that I have had for about 2 years suddenly started to shut down
> >and restart on its own. Out of the blue, over and over. Boots up shuts down,
> >Boots up shuts down. I use it for my business payroll and bill paying. When I
> >do get it to stay on for a couple minutes I have to restart my active desk
> >top. I have tried defrag and cleaning it up. Checked all my plugs and tried
> >everything I can think of. Any suggestions?

>
> Just ONE: post your question to an XP group. This is for Vista.
>
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Sorry, thought there may be a windows (professional expert) in the group
with enough knowledge to help in all windows. (Guess Not) I am on a vista
and when search for help I found this community.
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
Nonny
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Urgent help needed
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 21:14:01 -0700, msbock
<msbock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>
>
>"Nonny" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:27:00 -0700, msbock
>> <msbock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >My windows xp that I have had for about 2 years suddenly started to shut down
>> >and restart on its own. Out of the blue, over and over. Boots up shuts down,
>> >Boots up shuts down. I use it for my business payroll and bill paying. When I
>> >do get it to stay on for a couple minutes I have to restart my active desk
>> >top. I have tried defrag and cleaning it up. Checked all my plugs and tried
>> >everything I can think of. Any suggestions?

>>
>> Just ONE: post your question to an XP group. This is for Vista.
>>
>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

>Sorry, thought there may be a windows (professional expert) in the group
>with enough knowledge to help in all windows. (Guess Not) I am on a vista
>and when search for help I found this community.


There are probably some doctors and lawyers in this group as well.

That doesn't make it OK to ask for medical or legal help here.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Urgent help needed
You don't know XP or vista!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"Nonny" wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:27:00 -0700, msbock
> <msbock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >My windows xp that I have had for about 2 years suddenly started to shut down
> >and restart on its own. Out of the blue, over and over. Boots up shuts down,
> >Boots up shuts down. I use it for my business payroll and bill paying. When I
> >do get it to stay on for a couple minutes I have to restart my active desk
> >top. I have tried defrag and cleaning it up. Checked all my plugs and tried
> >everything I can think of. Any suggestions?

>
> Just ONE: post your question to an XP group. This is for Vista.
>
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
msbock
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Urgent help needed


"Nonny" wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 21:14:01 -0700, msbock
> <msbock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> >"Nonny" wrote:
> >
> >> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:27:00 -0700, msbock
> >> <msbock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> >My windows xp that I have had for about 2 years suddenly started to shut down
> >> >and restart on its own. Out of the blue, over and over. Boots up shuts down,
> >> >Boots up shuts down. I use it for my business payroll and bill paying. When I
> >> >do get it to stay on for a couple minutes I have to restart my active desk
> >> >top. I have tried defrag and cleaning it up. Checked all my plugs and tried
> >> >everything I can think of. Any suggestions?
> >>
> >> Just ONE: post your question to an XP group. This is for Vista.
> >>
> >> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

> >Sorry, thought there may be a windows (professional expert) in the group
> >with enough knowledge to help in all windows. (Guess Not) I am on a vista
> >and when search for help I found this community.

>
> There are probably some doctors and lawyers in this group as well.
>
> That doesn't make it OK to ask for medical or legal help here.


I thought we were talking about windows and computers, but hey if you need a
doctor, go for it !!!. Its a free cyber world & I can see you need help. . As
far as a lawyer you probably should ask for one of them too. Idiot
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Urgent help needed
Disregard that fool!
Right at Power on tap F8, and go into Safe Mode.
Use the UP arrow to select SM from lst of options, then hit ENTER.

Once there, save your Data, using Nero Express, or copy to a Flash Drive.
Then look for problems!
Start>right-click My computer>Hardware>Device Manager> see what has a ?
beside it
Then, start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools> system restore>Put back in
time before problem

If nothing works, time to see a comp Tech in real time!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"msbock" wrote:

> My windows xp that I have had for about 2 years suddenly started to shut down
> and restart on its own. Out of the blue, over and over. Boots up shuts down,
> Boots up shuts down. I use it for my business payroll and bill paying. When I
> do get it to stay on for a couple minutes I have to restart my active desk
> top. I have tried defrag and cleaning it up. Checked all my plugs and tried
> everything I can think of. Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
Charlie Tame
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Urgent help needed
msbock wrote:

>>>>> My windows xp that I have had for about 2 years suddenly started to shut down
>>>>> and restart on its own. Out of the blue, over and over. Boots up shuts down,
>>>>> Boots up shuts down. I use it for my business payroll and bill paying. When I
>>>>> do get it to stay on for a couple minutes I have to restart my active desk
>>>>> top. I have tried defrag and cleaning it up. Checked all my plugs and tried
>>>>> everything I can think of. Any suggestions?
>>>> Just ONE: post your question to an XP group. This is for Vista.



> I thought we were talking about windows and computers, but hey if you need a
> doctor, go for it !!!. Its a free cyber world & I can see you need help. . As
> far as a lawyer you probably should ask for one of them too. Idiot


Accurate diagnosis, maybe you should be a doctor

Anyway, Mick is right. We had this with an XP machine at work that also
by chance happens to run our payroll. The Pros could not fix it so they
bought a new machine. I did manage to fix it but only by installing a
new drive and and a retail copy of XP (The OEM CD was of course
missing). However the drive is also working fine so something must have
damaged the original install. IOW there seems to have been nothing wrong
with the machine or the drive, at first we suspected hardware, obviously
it wasn't.

I don't know what else to tell you except to expect the worst and hope
for the best, we did get a BSOD but it went by too fast to really see
much. If you can reinstall XP on another drive and then put this one
back as "Slave" or whatever you probably can get your data back.

Also, clean out the heatsinks / fans etc but if you use compressed air
do not let the fans spin, they will be damaged and may damage other
components electronically.

Personally I think an auto update may have clashed with something in our
case, the machine has a UPS so power outage not likely the cause.

It goes without saying that everybody here "Used" to have XP and many
still do, so disregard the initial rude reply.

If you get absolutely stuck for something to read the drive with you can
use a Linux Live CD (Doesn't install anything or damage what is there)
so you could transfer data to another networked machine if you have one.
I have used Ubuntu for this a few times.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
Bruce Chambers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Urgent help needed
msbock wrote:
> My windows xp that I have had for about 2 years suddenly started to shut down
> and restart on its own. Out of the blue, over and over. Boots up shuts down,
> Boots up shuts down. I use it for my business payroll and bill paying. When I
> do get it to stay on for a couple minutes I have to restart my active desk
> top. I have tried defrag and cleaning it up. Checked all my plugs and tried
> everything I can think of. Any suggestions?



Repair or replace the defective hardware causing the issue. Without
more details from you, it's nearly impossible to determine which
component is failing or over-heating.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
mikeyhsd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Urgent help needed
did you think to clean out the insides of the computer. using canned air is the usual way.




mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com



"msbock" <msbock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:710499A3-B9E8-457B-B54B-96DF94B6D778@microsoft.com...
My windows xp that I have had for about 2 years suddenly started to shut down
and restart on its own. Out of the blue, over and over. Boots up shuts down,
Boots up shuts down. I use it for my business payroll and bill paying. When I
do get it to stay on for a couple minutes I have to restart my active desk
top. I have tried defrag and cleaning it up. Checked all my plugs and tried
everything I can think of. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Urgent help needed ? raks microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 05-19-2008 12:22
No Sound - Urgent Help Needed HannahHawthorne-x microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 3 02-17-2008 21:19
Urgent Help needed ANDY microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 4 12-16-2007 10:25
urgent help needed mandisb8 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 09-23-2007 21:27
urgent help needed AC!D microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 7 06-05-2007 03:24




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:31.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120