Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Unable to Access Control Panel Selections

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2008
blksmth52
 

Posts: n/a
Unable to Access Control Panel Selections

I'm running Vista Home Premium x64, 2GB memory, NVidia 8600 GT with ASUS
M2N motherboard. My problem is this: About four days ago I started my
system and left the room. When I came back the monitor was blank even
though the computer was running. I had to do power button shut down. It
started back up without a problem. Later on I tried to open the device
manager from the control panel and got a half second flash of a screen
but it would not open. That started me looking at other shortcuts in the
control panel (classic view). I have since found that I cannot access:

Auto Play, Backup and Restore, Default Programs, Ease of Access,
Network and Sharing Center, Parental Controls, Performance Information
and Tools, Personalization, Power Options, Speech Recognition Options,
System, User Accounts, Welcome Center, Windows Anytime Upgrade, Windows
Sideshow and WWindows Update.

I haven't been able to find any information about this particular
problem anywhere I've looked. I had the UAC turned off and always got a
warning after startup that it was disabled. I turned it back on and can
now access the device manager but everything else is still inaccessable.

I'm still able to use my system but it's driving me nuts knowing it's
not 100%.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,


--
blksmth52
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2008
t-4-2
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to Access Control Panel Selections

blksmth52;747126 Wrote:
> I'm running Vista Home Premium x64, 2GB memory, NVidia 8600 GT with ASUS
> M2N motherboard. My problem is this: About four days ago I started my
> system and left the room. When I came back the monitor was blank even
> though the computer was running. I had to do power button shut down. It
> started back up without a problem. Later on I tried to open the device
> manager from the control panel and got a half second flash of a screen
> but it would not open. That started me looking at other shortcuts in the
> control panel (classic view). I have since found that I cannot access:
>
> Auto Play, Backup and Restore, Default Programs, Ease of Access,
> Network and Sharing Center, Parental Controls, Performance Information
> and Tools, Personalization, Power Options, Speech Recognition Options,
> System, User Accounts, Welcome Center, Windows Anytime Upgrade, Windows
> Sideshow and WWindows Update.
>
> I haven't been able to find any information about this particular
> problem anywhere I've looked. I had the UAC turned off and always got a
> warning after startup that it was disabled. I turned it back on and can
> now access the device manager but everything else is still inaccessable.
>
> I'm still able to use my system but it's driving me nuts knowing it's
> not 100%.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,

Hello,
Let's start with system restore. Go back 5 days ago.


--
t-4-2
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2008
blksmth52
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to Access Control Panel Selections

I knew I'd forgotten a part in my original post (sorry). When I turned
the UAC back on I regained access to System Restore. I've tried to
restore to an earlier point but to no avail. I've tried going back as
far as two weeks. It goes through all the steps, restarts and states
that system couldn't be restored and to select another restore point. At
one point I was getting an error that refered to 0x81000202. When I
tried to find info on it all my searches brought up were references to
Windows XP. That included going to the Microsoft Knowlege Base.


--
blksmth52
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
t-4-2
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to Access Control Panel Selections

blksmth52;747211 Wrote:
> I knew I'd forgotten a part in my original post (sorry). When I turned
> the UAC back on I regained access to System Restore through the start
> menu but the shortcut in Control Panel doesn't work. I've tried to
> restore to an earlier point but to no avail. I've tried going back as
> far as two weeks. It goes through all the steps, restarts and states
> that system couldn't be restored and to select another restore point. At
> one point I was getting an error that refered to 0x81000202. When I
> tried to find info on it all my searches brought up were references to
> Windows XP. That included going to the Microsoft Knowlege Base.

Hello blksmth52,
Run a virus scan with your anti-virus program. See what the program
says.
Here is also a link. Go to the section : Control Panel Problem - click
the link under that section.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12...e-disable.html


--
t-4-2
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
blksmth52
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to Access Control Panel Selections

I went to the link and tried enabling Control Panel. Nothing changed.

I ran Windows Defender and it shows no malware and computer is running
normally.

Just finished a virus scan with avast! and came up with a list of files
it couldn't scan. I went looking for the files and they don't exist.
Looked in the Recycle Bin to see if they got deleted...not there.

Here's the list (they are all from the same place):
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\...\My Music
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\...\My Pictures
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\...\My Videos
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\...\My Documents
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\NetHood
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Templates
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Recent
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Send To
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Start Menu
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\PrintHood


--
blksmth52
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
t-4-2
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to Access Control Panel Selections

blksmth52;747279 Wrote:
> I went to the link and tried enabling Control Panel. Nothing changed.
>
> I ran Windows Defender and it shows no malware and computer is running
> normally.
>
> Just finished a virus scan with avast! and came up with a list of files
> it couldn't scan. I went looking for the files and they don't exist.
> Looked in the Recycle Bin to see if they got deleted...not there.
>
> Here's the list (they are all from the same place):
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\...\My Music
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\...\My Pictures
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\...\My Videos
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\...\My Documents
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\NetHood
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Templates
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Recent
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Send To
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Start Menu
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\PrintHood

Hello,
You might want to rebuild the icon cache. Here is the link :

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...e-rebuild.html


--
t-4-2
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
blksmth52
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to Access Control Panel Selections

I rebuilt the icon cache but it didn't change any thing in the Control
Panel. Something I hadn't tried was right click on the faulty icons. I
did that and clicked on explore. Every window is blank. I know there has
to be a logical explanation for this. I've been trying to think of
anything I've done out of the ordinary and the only thing I can think of
is Wednesday night I downloaded a demo for a game called Dracula:
Origin. Other than that the only time I've gone online is to check email
and search for a solution to this problem. Virus scan and Windows
Defender both came up negative (which is a good thing I guess).


--
blksmth52
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2008
t-4-2
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to Access Control Panel Selections

blksmth52;747430 Wrote:
> I rebuilt the icon cache but it didn't change any thing in the Control
> Panel. Something I hadn't tried was right click on the faulty icons. I
> did that and clicked on explore. Every window is blank. I know there has
> to be a logical explanation for this. I've been trying to think of
> anything I've done out of the ordinary and the only thing I can think of
> is Wednesday night I downloaded a demo for a game called Dracula:
> Origin. Other than that the only time I've gone online is to check email
> and search for a solution to this problem. Virus scan and Windows
> Defender both came up negative (which is a good thing I guess).

Hello blkamth52,
My knowledge is limited and I'm out of idea.
I suspect there is one thing you did not tell us : you have SP1
installed.


--
t-4-2
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Unable to access Control Panel, window opens then closes automatically webdevii microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 02-19-2009 21:23
Unable to delete program from control panel helen108 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 14 05-29-2008 09:49
Unable to Access Control Panel Si microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 09-17-2007 01:25
Unable to access mouse settings in control panel. =?Utf-8?B?ZWRlYXJs?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 1 03-14-2007 14:59
Unable to access mouse setting in control panel. =?Utf-8?B?ZWRlYXJs?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 0 02-19-2007 19:35




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:10.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120