Sound Problems.

Concern1

Sound Problems.
I just recently upgraded my computer to an HP, model M8400f, running Windows
Vista Home premium. Since I bought my computer I discovered a little annoying
quirk: I often don't get sound when I connect my headphones to the jack on
the front of the computer. This is not my 1st computer, and, of course, I
made sure it was not on mute, I clicked on the icon for sound and toggle to
its highest function and it made a sound as it was going up. So, there is
sound, but when I initially put in a DVD (and I've tried w/it numerous, not
just 1 single dvd), there's no sound. I literally have to take out the DVD
and then put it back in, then I get sound. However, if I don't have a DVD in
the computer and I click on a link that pops up a video, which is accompany
by sound, I don't hear anything. It is here that I dont know what to do.
Thanks for your replies and suggestions.
FG
Nonny

Re: Sound Problems.
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:28:09 -0700, Concern1
<Concern1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I just recently upgraded my computer to an HP, model M8400f, running Windows
>Vista Home premium. Since I bought my computer I discovered a little annoying
>quirk: I often don't get sound when I connect my headphones to the jack on
>the front of the computer.

Obvious question: have you contacted HP support? "recently" seems to
indicate that it's probably under warranty.

>This is not my 1st computer, and, of course, I
>made sure it was not on mute, I clicked on the icon for sound and toggle to
>its highest function and it made a sound as it was going up. So, there is
>sound, but when I initially put in a DVD (and I've tried w/it numerous, not
>just 1 single dvd), there's no sound. I literally have to take out the DVD
>and then put it back in, then I get sound. However, if I don't have a DVD in
>the computer and I click on a link that pops up a video, which is accompany
>by sound, I don't hear anything. It is here that I dont know what to do.
>Thanks for your replies and suggestions.
>FG

Concern1

Re: Sound Problems.
Thanks Nonny for your response. I actually have not done the obvious. I was
hoping to avoid contacting them since I do not want to ship it to them. I was
hoping there was something with Windows I might have missed, some step I
needed to take in order to listen to my headphones.
Thanks,
FG

"Nonny" wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:28:09 -0700, Concern1
> <Concern1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I just recently upgraded my computer to an HP, model M8400f, running Windows
> >Vista Home premium. Since I bought my computer I discovered a little annoying
> >quirk: I often don't get sound when I connect my headphones to the jack on
> >the front of the computer.

> Obvious question: have you contacted HP support? "recently" seems to
> indicate that it's probably under warranty.
>

> >This is not my 1st computer, and, of course, I
> >made sure it was not on mute, I clicked on the icon for sound and toggle to
> >its highest function and it made a sound as it was going up. So, there is
> >sound, but when I initially put in a DVD (and I've tried w/it numerous, not
> >just 1 single dvd), there's no sound. I literally have to take out the DVD
> >and then put it back in, then I get sound. However, if I don't have a DVD in
> >the computer and I click on a link that pops up a video, which is accompany
> >by sound, I don't hear anything. It is here that I dont know what to do.
> >Thanks for your replies and suggestions.
> >FG

Charlie Tame

Re: Sound Problems.
Some sound cards can have configurable sockets so that the function of
each socket can be changed. Some will "Sense" what you plug into them.
Check the HP site for driver updates and then try calling their tech
support. It is possible that this is a well known (to them) problem and
a very quick fix is available.

Concern1 wrote:
> Thanks Nonny for your response. I actually have not done the obvious. I was
> hoping to avoid contacting them since I do not want to ship it to them. I was
> hoping there was something with Windows I might have missed, some step I
> needed to take in order to listen to my headphones.
> Thanks,
> FG
>
> "Nonny" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:28:09 -0700, Concern1
>> <Concern1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I just recently upgraded my computer to an HP, model M8400f, running Windows
>>> Vista Home premium. Since I bought my computer I discovered a little annoying
>>> quirk: I often don't get sound when I connect my headphones to the jack on
>>> the front of the computer.

>> Obvious question: have you contacted HP support? "recently" seems to
>> indicate that it's probably under warranty.
>>

>>> This is not my 1st computer, and, of course, I
>>> made sure it was not on mute, I clicked on the icon for sound and toggle to
>>> its highest function and it made a sound as it was going up. So, there is
>>> sound, but when I initially put in a DVD (and I've tried w/it numerous, not
>>> just 1 single dvd), there's no sound. I literally have to take out the DVD
>>> and then put it back in, then I get sound. However, if I don't have a DVD in
>>> the computer and I click on a link that pops up a video, which is accompany
>>> by sound, I don't hear anything. It is here that I dont know what to do.
>>> Thanks for your replies and suggestions.
>>> FG

Concern1

Re: Sound Problems.
Thanks for your reply. I will definitely make some time to call their tech
center and hope that the fix might just be something I can download or tweak.
Thanks,
FG

"Charlie Tame" wrote:

> Some sound cards can have configurable sockets so that the function of
> each socket can be changed. Some will "Sense" what you plug into them.
> Check the HP site for driver updates and then try calling their tech
> support. It is possible that this is a well known (to them) problem and
> a very quick fix is available.
>

> Concern1 wrote:
> > Thanks Nonny for your response. I actually have not done the obvious. I was
> > hoping to avoid contacting them since I do not want to ship it to them. I was
> > hoping there was something with Windows I might have missed, some step I
> > needed to take in order to listen to my headphones.
> > Thanks,
> > FG
> >
> > "Nonny" wrote:

> >> Obvious question: have you contacted HP support? "recently" seems to
> >> indicate that it's probably under warranty.

weejokey

Re: Sound Problems.

hi guys i have just bought a new computer with a Fatal1ty Professional
Series sound card ,i dont know if they have enabled my sound card
because when i plugg my medusa headset into the sound card i hear
nothing ,being new to vista i dont know much about it and how to check
to see what sound it is using.plz help

--
weejokey