How To Unblock a Start Up Program

NotMathWiz

How To Unblock a Start Up Program
There's an application program called 'fix.exe' that Startup keeps blocking
everytime I switch on my laptop. There are no description or publisher
information and the startup type is 'Registry: Local Machine'.

The program is located in the Windows folder on my C: I can't do anything
from Startup Program caused the options 'Remove / Disable / Enable' are
greyed out..

Please advise me what to do..

Secondly, I've upgraded my Nero 7 to 8 and there are 2 options in the
AutoPlay menu that are were uninstalled along with Nero 7. I've tried
uninstalling Nero 8 and when the AutoPlay pop up, all the options of Nero 8
were still there..

How do I delete unwanted options from the AutoPlay menu ?
I'm running on Vista Home Premium.. Appreciate if anyone could teach me how
to solve these..

Thank you
Rick Rogers

Re: How To Unblock a Start Up Program
Hi,

I don't think I'd unblock a program that I don't know anything about. That
is not a standard entry and if anything, I would remove the reference that's
trying to load it in the first place. At a guess, I'd say that Windows
Defender is probably blocking it, and you should be able to check in the
software explorer tool that is part of it.

As to the Roxio software, try this tool:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...oxio-Zap.shtml

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"NotMathWiz" <NotMathWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There's an application program called 'fix.exe' that Startup keeps
> blocking
> everytime I switch on my laptop. There are no description or publisher
> information and the startup type is 'Registry: Local Machine'.
>
> The program is located in the Windows folder on my C: I can't do anything
> from Startup Program caused the options 'Remove / Disable / Enable' are
> greyed out..
>
> Please advise me what to do..
>
> Secondly, I've upgraded my Nero 7 to 8 and there are 2 options in the
> AutoPlay menu that are were uninstalled along with Nero 7. I've tried
> uninstalling Nero 8 and when the AutoPlay pop up, all the options of Nero
> 8
> were still there..
>
> How do I delete unwanted options from the AutoPlay menu ?
> I'm running on Vista Home Premium.. Appreciate if anyone could teach me
> how
> to solve these..
>
> Thank you

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: How To Unblock a Start Up Program
>>How do I delete unwanted options from the AutoPlay menu ?

Removing unwanted AutoPlay Handlers in Windows XP and Windows Vista:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autoplayhandlers.htm

--
Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows« Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com

"NotMathWiz" <NotMathWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There's an application program called 'fix.exe' that Startup keeps
> blocking
> everytime I switch on my laptop. There are no description or publisher
> information and the startup type is 'Registry: Local Machine'.
>
> The program is located in the Windows folder on my C: I can't do anything
> from Startup Program caused the options 'Remove / Disable / Enable' are
> greyed out..
>
> Please advise me what to do..
>
> Secondly, I've upgraded my Nero 7 to 8 and there are 2 options in the
> AutoPlay menu that are were uninstalled along with Nero 7. I've tried
> uninstalling Nero 8 and when the AutoPlay pop up, all the options of Nero
> 8
> were still there..
>
> How do I delete unwanted options from the AutoPlay menu ?
> I'm running on Vista Home Premium.. Appreciate if anyone could teach me
> how
> to solve these..
>
> Thank you

Mark H

Re: How To Unblock a Start Up Program
Possibly: Fix.exe is considered a dangerous trojan/worm.

McAfee
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_10516.htm
Other:
http://www.greatis.com/appdata/d/f/fix.exe.htm

"NotMathWiz" <NotMathWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There's an application program called 'fix.exe' that Startup keeps

blocking
> everytime I switch on my laptop. There are no description or publisher
> information and the startup type is 'Registry: Local Machine'.
>
> The program is located in the Windows folder on my C: I can't do anything
> from Startup Program caused the options 'Remove / Disable / Enable' are
> greyed out..
>
> Please advise me what to do..
>
> Secondly, I've upgraded my Nero 7 to 8 and there are 2 options in the
> AutoPlay menu that are were uninstalled along with Nero 7. I've tried
> uninstalling Nero 8 and when the AutoPlay pop up, all the options of Nero

8
> were still there..
>
> How do I delete unwanted options from the AutoPlay menu ?
> I'm running on Vista Home Premium.. Appreciate if anyone could teach me

how
> to solve these..
>
> Thank you

Charles W Davis

Re: How To Unblock a Start Up Program
Mark H,

Not so! cafix.exe is a process associated with CAFIX by Computer Associates
International, Inc. from Computer Associates International, Inc.

"Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Possibly: Fix.exe is considered a dangerous trojan/worm.
>
> McAfee
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_10516.htm
> Other:
> http://www.greatis.com/appdata/d/f/fix.exe.htm
>

> "NotMathWiz" <NotMathWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> There's an application program called 'fix.exe' that Startup keeps

> blocking
>> everytime I switch on my laptop. There are no description or publisher
>> information and the startup type is 'Registry: Local Machine'.
>>
>> The program is located in the Windows folder on my C: I can't do anything
>> from Startup Program caused the options 'Remove / Disable / Enable' are
>> greyed out..
>>
>> Please advise me what to do..
>>
>> Secondly, I've upgraded my Nero 7 to 8 and there are 2 options in the
>> AutoPlay menu that are were uninstalled along with Nero 7. I've tried
>> uninstalling Nero 8 and when the AutoPlay pop up, all the options of Nero

> 8
>> were still there..
>>
>> How do I delete unwanted options from the AutoPlay menu ?
>> I'm running on Vista Home Premium.. Appreciate if anyone could teach me

> how
>> to solve these..
>>
>> Thank you

NotMathWiz

Re: How To Unblock a Start Up Program
Thanks for taking the time to reply RIck.. I'm downloading your recommended
software now...

Best regards..

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't think I'd unblock a program that I don't know anything about. That
> is not a standard entry and if anything, I would remove the reference that's
> trying to load it in the first place. At a guess, I'd say that Windows
> Defender is probably blocking it, and you should be able to check in the
> software explorer tool that is part of it.
>
> As to the Roxio software, try this tool:
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...oxio-Zap.shtml
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "NotMathWiz" <NotMathWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > There's an application program called 'fix.exe' that Startup keeps
> > blocking
> > everytime I switch on my laptop. There are no description or publisher
> > information and the startup type is 'Registry: Local Machine'.
> >
> > The program is located in the Windows folder on my C: I can't do anything
> > from Startup Program caused the options 'Remove / Disable / Enable' are
> > greyed out..
> >
> > Please advise me what to do..
> >
> > Secondly, I've upgraded my Nero 7 to 8 and there are 2 options in the
> > AutoPlay menu that are were uninstalled along with Nero 7. I've tried
> > uninstalling Nero 8 and when the AutoPlay pop up, all the options of Nero
> > 8
> > were still there..
> >
> > How do I delete unwanted options from the AutoPlay menu ?
> > I'm running on Vista Home Premium.. Appreciate if anyone could teach me
> > how
> > to solve these..
> >
> > Thank you

NotMathWiz

Re: How To Unblock a Start Up Program
Hi Ramesh,

The link to your website worked like a charm... I greatly appreciate it.
Thank you for taking the time to reply me.

Keep up the good work.. Guys like you are saviours to people like us... :-P

Best regards..

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> >>How do I delete unwanted options from the AutoPlay menu ?

> Removing unwanted AutoPlay Handlers in Windows XP and Windows Vista:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autoplayhandlers.htm
>
> --
> Regards,

> The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
> Windows® Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "NotMathWiz" <NotMathWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > There's an application program called 'fix.exe' that Startup keeps
> > blocking
> > everytime I switch on my laptop. There are no description or publisher
> > information and the startup type is 'Registry: Local Machine'.
> >
> > The program is located in the Windows folder on my C: I can't do anything
> > from Startup Program caused the options 'Remove / Disable / Enable' are
> > greyed out..
> >
> > Please advise me what to do..
> >
> > Secondly, I've upgraded my Nero 7 to 8 and there are 2 options in the
> > AutoPlay menu that are were uninstalled along with Nero 7. I've tried
> > uninstalling Nero 8 and when the AutoPlay pop up, all the options of Nero
> > 8
> > were still there..
> >
> > How do I delete unwanted options from the AutoPlay menu ?
> > I'm running on Vista Home Premium.. Appreciate if anyone could teach me
> > how
> > to solve these..
> >
> > Thank you

Mark

Re: How To Unblock a Start Up Program
OP states "fix.exe", not "cafix.exe."
And, I stated, "possibly" which may explain why Defender is blocking it.

"Charles W Davis" <Anthemwebs@lvcoxmail.com> wrote in message
> Mark H,
>
> Not so! cafix.exe is a process associated with CAFIX by Computer
> Associates International, Inc. from Computer Associates International,
> Inc.
>
> "Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Possibly: Fix.exe is considered a dangerous trojan/worm.
>>
>> McAfee
>> http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_10516.htm
>> Other:
>> http://www.greatis.com/appdata/d/f/fix.exe.htm
>>

>> "NotMathWiz" <NotMathWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> There's an application program called 'fix.exe' that Startup keeps

>> blocking
>>> everytime I switch on my laptop. There are no description or publisher
>>> information and the startup type is 'Registry: Local Machine'.
>>>
>>> The program is located in the Windows folder on my C: I can't do
>>> anything
>>> from Startup Program caused the options 'Remove / Disable / Enable' are
>>> greyed out..
>>>
>>> Please advise me what to do..
>>>
>>> Secondly, I've upgraded my Nero 7 to 8 and there are 2 options in the
>>> AutoPlay menu that are were uninstalled along with Nero 7. I've tried
>>> uninstalling Nero 8 and when the AutoPlay pop up, all the options of
>>> Nero

>> 8
>>> were still there..
>>>
>>> How do I delete unwanted options from the AutoPlay menu ?
>>> I'm running on Vista Home Premium.. Appreciate if anyone could teach me

>> how
>>> to solve these..
>>>
>>> Thank you

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: How To Unblock a Start Up Program
You're welcome NotMathWiz.

--

> Hi Ramesh,
>
> The link to your website worked like a charm... I greatly appreciate it.
> Thank you for taking the time to reply me.
>
> Keep up the good work.. Guys like you are saviours to people like us...
> :-P
>
> Best regards..

>> Removing unwanted AutoPlay Handlers in Windows XP and Windows Vista:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autoplayhandlers.htm
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>> The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>> Windows« Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com
>>

>> "NotMathWiz" <NotMathWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > There's an application program called 'fix.exe' that Startup keeps
>> > blocking
>> > everytime I switch on my laptop. There are no description or publisher
>> > information and the startup type is 'Registry: Local Machine'.
>> >
>> > The program is located in the Windows folder on my C: I can't do
>> > anything
>> > from Startup Program caused the options 'Remove / Disable / Enable' are
>> > greyed out..
>> >
>> > Please advise me what to do..
>> >
>> > Secondly, I've upgraded my Nero 7 to 8 and there are 2 options in the
>> > AutoPlay menu that are were uninstalled along with Nero 7. I've tried
>> > uninstalling Nero 8 and when the AutoPlay pop up, all the options of
>> > Nero
>> > 8
>> > were still there..
>> >
>> > How do I delete unwanted options from the AutoPlay menu ?
>> > I'm running on Vista Home Premium.. Appreciate if anyone could teach me
>> > how
>> > to solve these..
>> >
>> > Thank you

maher77

Re: How To Unblock a Start Up Program

Try this..
-Open the Start Menu
-In the search box type msconfig and hit enter
-Then the UAC should ask you for permission. Go ahead and click
continue
-The System Configuration box should appear
-Click the STARTUP tab
-In that list, look for the application that is causing you trouble,
and see if it is enabled.
-If it is not enabled, enable it, and then restart and see if that
fixes the problem

Hope this helps

--
maher77