"explorer has stopped working"

The Shadow

"explorer has stopped working"
The last few times I have used my computer, explorer has stopped working.
Last time I just hit control alt delete and restarted, but this last time
explorer automatically restarted. My computer told me to download this repair
"Windows6.0-KB936316-x86" - so I did. When I tried to install this update, I
got this message from the "Windows Update Standalone Installer" which said,
"Installer encountered an error: 0x8007000d
The data is invalid"
I tried to search for this update on microsoft.com but I did not get
solutions to my problem. Was it bad idea to download this? Why does my
explorer stop working?
Thanks in advance for any solutions that anybody is willing to take the time
to write.
Nonny

Re: "explorer has stopped working"
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:09:00 -0700, The Shadow
<TheShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The last few times I have used my computer, explorer has stopped working.
>Last time I just hit control alt delete and restarted, but this last time
>explorer automatically restarted. My computer told me to download this repair
>"Windows6.0-KB936316-x86" - so I did.

WHAT?

What do you mean by "my computer told me to downlad this repair"?

> When I tried to install this update, I
>got this message from the "Windows Update Standalone Installer" which said,
> "Installer encountered an error: 0x8007000d
>The data is invalid"
>I tried to search for this update on microsoft.com but I did not get
>solutions to my problem. Was it bad idea to download this? Why does my
>explorer stop working?
>Thanks in advance for any solutions that anybody is willing to take the time
>to write.

Rick Rogers

"Nonny" <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:09:00 -0700, The Shadow
> <TheShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>The last few times I have used my computer, explorer has stopped working.
>>Last time I just hit control alt delete and restarted, but this last time
>>explorer automatically restarted. My computer told me to download this
>>repair
>>"Windows6.0-KB936316-x86" - so I did.

> WHAT?
> What do you mean by "my computer told me to downlad this repair"?

Windows' Problem Reports and Solutions will prompt to download a fix if one
is known for a reported system error. In this case, the error appears to
match the description here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936316

>> When I tried to install this update, I
>>got this message from the "Windows Update Standalone Installer" which
>>said,
>> "Installer encountered an error: 0x8007000d
>>The data is invalid"

The OP should try downloading the fix directly from the article linked
above, it sounds like the one they got may be corrupted.

>>I tried to search for this update on microsoft.com but I did not get
>>solutions to my problem. Was it bad idea to download this? Why does my
>>explorer stop working?

Generally, causes include malware, shell enhancement programs, or plugins.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 06:16:37 -0400, "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
wrote:

>"Nonny" <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:erg1549sqcck9psad8fmqlq2degreq2e39@4ax.com.. .
>> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:09:00 -0700, The Shadow
>> <TheShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>>The last few times I have used my computer, explorer has stopped working.
>>>Last time I just hit control alt delete and restarted, but this last time
>>>explorer automatically restarted. My computer told me to download this
>>>repair
>>>"Windows6.0-KB936316-x86" - so I did.

>> WHAT?
>> What do you mean by "my computer told me to downlad this repair"?

>Windows' Problem Reports and Solutions will prompt to download a fix if one
>is known for a reported system error. In this case, the error appears to
>match the description here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936316

I haven't encountered such a situation yet (have only had Vista on
this machine for barely 6 weeks). Looks like a definite improvement
over XP!
misterjohn

Re: "explorer has stopped working"

Gentlemen,

I have the same problem!

I am running a Toshiba Equium L40 [Dual Core Pentium, 2G RAM, Vista
Premium, AVG 8.0 AntiVirus, Spybot Search and Destroy].

A few weeks ago, I noticed that Windows Explorer shuts down and
restarts after I navigate to Start/My Computer and then navigate away
from My Computer.

I am currently trying to fix this problem by eliminating possibilities
and asking help from various Forums.

I have uninstalled Nero Essentials 7 and Ad-Aware [Lavasoft] in line
with suggestions re-possible software conflicts.

I am currently running spyware and anti-virus checks.

I have deleted almost all data from the computer in preparation for a
clean re-install of Vista.

However - I am not enthusiastic about the clean re-install - since I
can see from the enormous number of people who are having this problem
that I may well end up wasting my time.

Incidentally, Vista has notified Microsoft of this fault numerous
times, but no solution has been offered so far.

Any ideas, gentlemen?

[Not a computer expert - just need to get some work done without
interruptions!]

--
misterjohn
The Shadow

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> "Nonny" <nonnymoose@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:09:00 -0700, The Shadow
> > <TheShadow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >>The last few times I have used my computer, explorer has stopped working.
> >>Last time I just hit control alt delete and restarted, but this last time
> >>explorer automatically restarted. My computer told me to download this
> >>repair
> >>"Windows6.0-KB936316-x86" - so I did.

> > WHAT?
> > What do you mean by "my computer told me to downlad this repair"?

> Windows' Problem Reports and Solutions will prompt to download a fix if one
> is known for a reported system error. In this case, the error appears to
> match the description here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936316
>
> >> When I tried to install this update, I
> >>got this message from the "Windows Update Standalone Installer" which
> >>said,
> >> "Installer encountered an error: 0x8007000d
> >>The data is invalid"

> The OP should try downloading the fix directly from the article linked
> above, it sounds like the one they got may be corrupted.
>
> >>I tried to search for this update on microsoft.com but I did not get
> >>solutions to my problem. Was it bad idea to download this? Why does my
> >>explorer stop working?

> Generally, causes include malware, shell enhancement programs, or plugins.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

My auto update has always been on. I think that I may already have the
service packet talked about, just because I have not had any problems for a
week or so. Thank you for your comments Rick Rogers. I think misterjohn may
need some more help. I will download the pack through your link if the
problem occurs again.
The Shadow