Vista Basic - Backup

KBFast

Vista Basic - Backup
I used the "Backup" component (Start>Accessories>System Tools>Backup Status
and Configuration) of Vista Basic to backup my hard drive to an external
drive in case I had a faliure on my HDD. Well, I had to restore the factory
settings on my machine and now I want to restore the files I backed up. My
external HDD is FAT32 and the system is telling me it can't use a target that
isn't formatted NTFS. I have files that will be impossible to replace in this
backup copy on my external drive but I don't know how to get to them. Does
anyone have a work around for this?
--
"The first concepts of superior principle are always defeated by the
perfected example of established practice."
Nonny

Re: Vista Basic - Backup
On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 13:31:00 -0700, KBFast
<KBFast@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I used the "Backup" component (Start>Accessories>System Tools>Backup Status
>and Configuration) of Vista Basic to backup my hard drive to an external
>drive in case I had a faliure on my HDD. Well, I had to restore the factory
>settings on my machine and now I want to restore the files I backed up. My
>external HDD is FAT32 and the system is telling me it can't use a target that
>isn't formatted NTFS. I have files that will be impossible to replace in this
>backup copy on my external drive but I don't know how to get to them. Does
>anyone have a work around for this?

I assume that "restore the factory settings" means you use your
recovery disc to put the computer back into out-of-the-box condition.
Am I right?

If so, even IF you could get to them, you wouldn't be able to restore
them to your new installation. Programs install files in the Windows
directories and make changes to the registry.

Why didn't you simply do a full restore from your backup, or wasn't it
a full backup?

Robert Hankins

Re: Vista Basic - Backup
I suggest you remove the external drive and reconnect it to any other
computer still formatted in FAT32. Download your files into a disc or
whatever. Then reformat your external as NTFS and go on from there.
B.Hankins

"KBFast" <KBFast@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used the "Backup" component (Start>Accessories>System Tools>Backup Status
> and Configuration) of Vista Basic to backup my hard drive to an external
> drive in case I had a faliure on my HDD. Well, I had to restore the
> factory
> settings on my machine and now I want to restore the files I backed up. My
> external HDD is FAT32 and the system is telling me it can't use a target
> that
> isn't formatted NTFS. I have files that will be impossible to replace in
> this
> backup copy on my external drive but I don't know how to get to them. Does
> anyone have a work around for this?
> --
> "The first concepts of superior principle are always defeated by the
> perfected example of established practice."

Gene K

Re: Vista Basic - Backup
I see no reason why he can not just open that FAT formatted external THEN
right click each file he needs to save and select the "Send" to his DVD-RW
Writer. Burn them a CD or DVD. Then use the "convert" (with the necessary
switches) Command to change the external to NTFS.
Gene K
"Robert Hankins" <easyx308@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I suggest you remove the external drive and reconnect it to any other
>computer still formatted in FAT32. Download your files into a disc or
>whatever. Then reformat your external as NTFS and go on from there.
> B.Hankins
>
> "KBFast" <KBFast@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I used the "Backup" component (Start>Accessories>System Tools>Backup
>>Status
>> and Configuration) of Vista Basic to backup my hard drive to an external
>> drive in case I had a faliure on my HDD. Well, I had to restore the
>> factory
>> settings on my machine and now I want to restore the files I backed up.
>> My
>> external HDD is FAT32 and the system is telling me it can't use a target
>> that
>> isn't formatted NTFS. I have files that will be impossible to replace in
>> this
>> backup copy on my external drive but I don't know how to get to them.
>> Does
>> anyone have a work around for this?
>> --
>> "The first concepts of superior principle are always defeated by the
>> perfected example of established practice."

Mick Murphy

Re: Vista Basic - Backup
Nonny; they are giving you WRONG info.
Basic WON'T do a full system backup, lol.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Nonny" wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 13:31:00 -0700, KBFast
> <KBFast@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I used the "Backup" component (Start>Accessories>System Tools>Backup Status
> >and Configuration) of Vista Basic to backup my hard drive to an external
> >drive in case I had a faliure on my HDD. Well, I had to restore the factory
> >settings on my machine and now I want to restore the files I backed up. My
> >external HDD is FAT32 and the system is telling me it can't use a target that
> >isn't formatted NTFS. I have files that will be impossible to replace in this
> >backup copy on my external drive but I don't know how to get to them. Does
> >anyone have a work around for this?

> I assume that "restore the factory settings" means you use your
> recovery disc to put the computer back into out-of-the-box condition.
> Am I right?
>
> If so, even IF you could get to them, you wouldn't be able to restore
> them to your new installation. Programs install files in the Windows
> directories and make changes to the registry.
>
> Why didn't you simply do a full restore from your backup, or wasn't it
> a full backup?

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista Basic - Backup
Basic does NOT have full system backup, lol.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"KBFast" wrote:

> I used the "Backup" component (Start>Accessories>System Tools>Backup Status
> and Configuration) of Vista Basic to backup my hard drive to an external
> drive in case I had a faliure on my HDD. Well, I had to restore the factory
> settings on my machine and now I want to restore the files I backed up. My
> external HDD is FAT32 and the system is telling me it can't use a target that
> isn't formatted NTFS. I have files that will be impossible to replace in this
> backup copy on my external drive but I don't know how to get to them. Does
> anyone have a work around for this?
> --
> "The first concepts of superior principle are always defeated by the
> perfected example of established practice."

Nonny

Re: Vista Basic - Backup
On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 00:34:00 -0700, Mick Murphy
<MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Basic does NOT have full system backup, lol.

You're on the sauce again, eh?
AmyZ

RE: Vista Basic - Backup
Is this true?